1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Distinguished Member

Buying, registering, insuring, selling, buying another moto and all that over again is a pain in the ass.

If your friend had bought a 250 ninja or honda, sounds like he would have wanted to sell immediately then, considering a r60/5 has a higher top speed and hp. It also has more torque and a more usable, linear powerband, for new rider friendliness. Just another reason I think a 250 is a waste of time to purchase and inevitably resell when a 500/600/750 twin would hold you over longer before feeling the need to upgrade, and poses almost no higher risk.

Recommending a 250 is like recommending every 16 year old drive a 3 cylinder Geo Metro as a first car. Sure, it is the least risky option to recommend, but I think it's silly to ignore there are viable alternatives that come with marginally more risk.

If a r60/5 is too low on power, then I'd recommend an r75/6. They're usually $3k-4k on cl and ebay, all day long, for nice examples. My Dad bought his new in '75 and rebuilt the carbs once a few years ago. The thing fires right up after sitting for years at a time. They are extremely easy to learn and ride, and I still refuse to accept that they are anymore dangerous than a Kawasaki 300, especially given that it has nearly identical acceleration and power:weight figures. It's borderline moronic to make that claim.

^This. The short wheel base was unstable at speed.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

2. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Distinguished Member

Funny since my old shadow got gummed up carbs after I let it sit over the winter (without doing a proper winter storage).

To say that a 30 year old bike is just as good for a new rider as a newer smaller displacement bike just sounds odd to me.

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Distinguished Member

I would imagine the Beemers to handle/maneuver like ass compared to a Ninja

Plus the maintenance yeech.

There's nothing lost by starting on a 250. They are disposable and if you buy a used one and sell it in the condition you bought it you won't lose anything but registration/taxes. Plus I'd be weary of buying someone else's project. $4500 I think gets you a brand new 250/300. I'd get the 30 yr old bike later.

4. epb

epb Senior Member

No one on a modern 250/300 "needs to upgrade" within a few months of learning to ride anyway. I know tons of experienced riders that get by with 30hp or so. Heck, the chief reason I'm not riding one day-in/day-out is the insistence on everything looking like a sport bike these days. A good-looking naked version of the CBR250R or Ninja 300 would see my CB400 and and maybe even my NT650 gone. These beginner bikes will do 90mph, which means they can do interstate speeds with power to spare, well above what you'll need for touring on country roads/canyon carving. People just get caught up in an hp frenzy...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

5. Rumpelstiltskin

Honda has their 500 triplets

[​IMG]

6. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Those are interesting, and I have thought about if they should be my next bike.

The naked ninja 300 (which will probably never come to the US) also sounds pretty good.

7. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Distinguished Member

Heh, I still want a damn 125 or 250 scooter to ride to work every day [​IMG]

That's the problem right there.

Also, ya'll make good points. It'll definitely need work. I don't see that as a bad thing, personally, but I get it.

8. epb

epb Senior Member

I'm conflicted about the CB500 line - they are a good fit, but man, are they ugly.

9. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Distinguished Member

Heavy too

10. TRINI

TRINI Distinguished Member

This fender (bobbed):

[​IMG]

or this fender (stock Scrambler)

[​IMG]

11. John Doe

John Doe Distinguished Member

12. Fang66

Fang66 Stylish Dinosaur

Too bad you guys don't get the Yamaha SR400.

13. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Distinguished Member

Trini, you are a compulsive customizer.

14. Rumpelstiltskin

Seconded

15. epb

epb Senior Member

If you're never going to ride in the rain, I agree. It looks good.

Cycle World claimed to see it being tested in California a while back.

[​IMG]