Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

What are the voltage requirements that the Lithium batteries won't work with? Mine puts out ~13.8V which is roughly what a normal 12V battery puts out when fully charged.

2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I can't believe I didn't know about eSquad jeans. Seriously, does anyone know how to get them in the US?

Here they are shown supporting the full weight of a Hummer.

3. epb

epb Senior member

I like old British bikes, but those right-side shifters would drive me nuts. :)

4. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

^You'll get used to it pretty fast, if you don't switch around.

5. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Probably easier to get used to than going from standard shift to race shift.

6. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

7. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

I thought race shifting (down=up shifting) was part of the deal with right shifters. At least, it was so for the Enfield Bullet 350 I once rode.

8. epb

epb Senior member

The HP4 is amazing, but I wouldn't even bother - I'd never come close to using all the performance and technology. I'd get an S1000RR instead; heck, I'd get the S600RR that was rumored a while back if they made it.

9. EgliComet

EgliComet Senior member

What you aren't taking into account is the fact that below 9.2 volts a Shorai is effectively drained. Now this Vincent and the 100hp Vincent Egli parked next to it only produce about 100 watts. If a plug is fouled, the gas is a little crappy or I get stuck behind a friendly law enforcement agent in gridlock were I really shouldn't shut off my lights even though the generator isn't spinning fast enough to charge the battery and the voltage drops...I'm stuck on the side of the road. The Rapide isn't a huge issue as it has a magneto but the Egli has a battery coil. In short, Shorai batteries and vintage bikes are not the best idea.

10. EgliComet

EgliComet Senior member

I've got about 100 bikes right now in the garage with 4 different shift patterns (left hand up for first, right hand up for first, left hand down for first and left side hand shift). It just takes concentration.

11. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

The energy density of the LiFePO4 batteries is higher than a conventional battery, and the issue you're speaking of really only has to do with the Ah of the battery. You could probably fit 16 cells into a hollowed out battery case and have 30+ Ah vs 16 Ah on a large convential MC battery. Or maybe I'm not totally understanding the problem you're speaking of, but I've had an 8-cell on my Ducati for 3 years and it's been great (unless it's under 40 degrees out, but I'm guessing you don't need to ride the Vincents in that. The best part is that it starts even when I leave it for 2-3 months at a time while I'm at work.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

12. EgliComet

EgliComet Senior member

It's an issue of load vs generator output. Much like the Shorai, the battery you reference needs a healthy voltage and wattage supply to maintain its charge. Seeing as the Alton only puts out 100 watts on average (150 peak) it falls on the inadequate side. Your Ducati puts out roughly 500 watts as comparison.
    In the end, I temporarily ditched the case and added a similarly sized AGM (14ah) that I painted with black crinkle paint. An hour in the machine shop and I was all set with a suitable mount. The AGM should be forgiving enough for roller coaster loads and charge rates even if it is a little big and heavy.

13. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

Ah I see. Yeah the Li-polymers are much more particular about their inputs.

14. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Having so much choice sounds awesome. Do you have pics of your garage?

15. EgliComet

EgliComet Senior member

I manage a private collection on Long Island. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013