• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

EgliComet

Reaction score
It's over 50 degrees on Long Island today. Seems like a good day for a ride on the Nortons.

brokencycle

Reaction score
This is sad news about the Gasolina's. I was looking at buying a pair of the autobahns. Anyone have recommendations at a similar price point?

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used them on the street and then for racing sidecars where flexibility is most important as I was the monkey. When I added the gp bike to the mix I figured I'd ride with them until I found something better. Lesson learned.
The gloves were Alpinestars GP-Pros. I don't think anything could have prevented that injury as my finger was trapped between the bar and the pavement, which, at the time, was a sea shell composition. It obliterated tires. It did worse things to fingers. Roebling has since been repaved. I hate that track. Always have, always will. I've seen some nasty, nasty accidents there.
GP Pros are pretty highly rated too. Hell I have..err...had a pair. Had a pair of Helds as well (sold both)

brown eyes

Reaction score
I had a pair of Dainese Redgate gloves and they worked fine until I got into an accident. I took a little spill going around 15 mph and the leather on the palm tore. My hands were alright though, the gloves did their job. After that, I decided I wanted a pair of gloves with palm sliders so I went with the Held Phantoms. They're hand made out of kangaroo leather, stingray hide, and Kevlar stitching. Best gloves I've used so far.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
50% off a bunch of AGM (and conventional) AC Delco batteries
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._t=1401&pf_rd_p=1522826142&pf_rd_i=1001103641

http://slickdeals.net/f/5943088-ACD...-AGM-Batteries-From-20-amp-More-Free-Shipping

Clip the coupon on the product page for the 50%

I picked one up, it's a few millimeters taller and thicker than my conventional, but it should fit. Not sure I will need it (forgot to detatch the battery when I stored the bike...) but it will be nice to go with a maintenance free battery.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
^ Good price on a battery.

So for my next pair of boots, I think I have it narrowed down:

Gasolina
Chippewa Rally (maybe trooper)
Red Wing Engineer boot (although I doubt I'm willing to spend $100 more on the Red Wings over the Chippewa)

Any thoughts?

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Chippewa Rally Boots. They are well made old style moto boots. They don't have any armor like plastic race boots (not my cup of tea) but they are substantial and are good for a non armored boot. The only thing I don't like are the velcro closures. They wear out after awhile. I'll probably just have them replaced with snaps by a cobbler when the time comes or just new velcro. I like them because they look good either under jeans or with my leather race pants tucked into the tops. I believe Chippewa has a re crafting program when the boots need refurbishing.

brokencycle

Reaction score

I have the Chippewa Rally Boots. They are well made old style moto boots. They don't have any armor like plastic race boots (not my cup of tea) but they are substantial and are good for a non armored boot. The only thing I don't like are the velcro closures. They wear out after awhile. I'll probably just have them replaced with snaps by a cobbler when the time comes or just new velcro. I like them because they look good either under jeans or with my leather race pants tucked into the tops. I believe Chippewa has a re crafting program when the boots need refurbishing.

Great info on those. I don't care for the armored plastic ones either: I don't want to walk around in them.

Do you have any experience with Gasolina? I understand some people objected because they lack protection, but they don't seem to have much less protection than the Chippewas.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with the Gasolina's. Based on photos only I think they are about equal in protection.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might as well ride in high top sneakers since the level of protection is about the same.

And when I typed protection I did this
glenn_beck_air_quotes_ars.jpg

Last edited:

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I do know what I am talking about. I have witnessed way too many high speed as well as low speed motorcycle crashes in my time (crotch rockets & cruisers) to know what actually works and what just looks cool off the bike.

• A non-armoured leather boot won't do squat if you lowside at 65 mph and are sliding down the road with a 400+ lbs sitting on top of your foot;
  • A non-armoured leather boot won't do squat to stop your ankle from hyperextending and breaking in even a 30 mph highside;
  • A non-armoured leather boot that doesn't have a reinforced sole so your foot can easily get crushed in an accident;
  • A non-armoured motorcycle boot doesn't provide lateral support that could potentially stop your ankle from snapping like a twig in a 20 mph mishap.

The only protection those boots offer is some abrasion resistance (but since teh leather is not reinforced who knows how much) as they might stay on your foot in a slide. Emphasis on the word "might", esp with that weak velcro you complained about. Again - teh same protection that a high top sneaker will provide: practically none. And the idea of replacing the velcro with snaps on is just idiotic to say the least. What's your next move? Take some of that pesky insulation out of your helmet so it will breathe better?

Dress for the ride, bring along a change for after the ride is my motto. If you want to limp for the rest of your life in the event of a mishap that is your prerogative. But don't try to sell that snakeoil to others who may not know any better.

Last edited:

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The two boots in question are not armored plastic type race boots and that was previously acknowledged. The Chippewa's are heavy leather motorcycle boots that do offer substantial protection but to compare them to technical race boots is silly. And to say they offer no protection is even sillier. I did not say you will get the same protection with them as you would with race boots. About as silly as comparing the Chippewa's with sneakers. So tone down the hyperbole Rumples, I'm not trying to sell snake oil or anything else. Some one asked for an opinion on the boots and I gave it to them; they are high quality motorcycle boots that offer substantial protection. As much as race boots? No.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FAIK boots that offer substantial protection protect against:

1. Impact protection which includes: shock absorbing toe, ankle, heel and shin;
  2. Ankle protection which includes limiting hyperextension and hyperflexion of the ankle;
  3. Abrasion resistance: kevlar reinforced,
  4. And of course they have to stay on your foot because in the event of a mishap, centripetal forces tend to fling footwear hither and fro.

These boots appear to be made of a single layer of unpadded, unarmoured and non-reinforced leather. What is the leather stitched with? Have you ever seen what happens to a leather shoe/boot that is stitched with regular nylon threads upon impact with the ground? I have. The shoe flies apart. Think of a bird that is hit midair by a car. Just like that.

These boots also have vibram soles. Do you realize that too much grip is a bad thing? Want to know why? Because in the event of a slide, the sole will grip causing you to tumble. Tumbling is one of the causes of broken bones (in addition to impact)

As far as I can see these offer minimal protection, no different than riding in securely fastened Timberland boots or high top sneakers. Don't get me wrong - they look cool...really cool. Just as I used to be cool when I rode in high top Reebok pumps (dating myself), boat shoes or Frye Harness boots. I know better now. However I have read every single page of this thread and there are a lot of people here who don't know anything about gear and might actually listen to and believe you regarding the relative safety of these boots

BostonHedonist in his post about the Gasolina Shortcuts clearly stated

...There are stiffening pieces around the heel and outer edge of the toe box. But neither of these pieces would be terribly effective from any kind of crushing force....

And then he stated

The one major drawback is that for the same price you can probably get some boots with REAL protection. While these are a step up from what I was using before, their ability to protect ends at pipe heat, road debris and maybe a medium-speed slide. But if you've got a little daredevil in you and might be at risk for high-speed incidents, I'd recommend something much more protective.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

He was quite clear that they provided little protection. When he mention Bates Fast Lane boots, EgliComet let him know they were not solid boots at all to which he replied

:: Goes off to search for more sturdy boots:: ...

Contrast that with you repeatedly stating that the Chippewas provide "substantial protection". See the difference? Seeing you are adamant that they provide "substantial protection" please share with us your definition of the term substantial protection

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads