1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I would rather own any of these over anything comparable from Germany: Miata, RX-7, BRZ/FRS, MR2, NSX, ITR, S2k.

The materials quality isn't up to snuff, but the ergonomics are dialed in many of those cars, which is much more important IMO.

Hell, the 1st gen Insight blows my mind. Aluminum chassis and body in an economy car? Are you kidding me? That thing is an amazing engineering feat given the price of the vehicle and its performance.

The Japanese and Americans file more automotive patents than Germany.

If anything, Mclaren is the pinnacle, to me.

I have never been enamored with the Audi's and BMW's I've driven. Porsche is a different story, but their interior quality is lacking. Audi and Mercedes interiors are top rate, but you certainly pay for it.

Anything much more than 3,000 lbs has too much lag in the transient dynamics IMO.

I have no idea what all this translates to in production motorcycles. Ducati wins a lot of manufacturers Championships, but Italians and Germans do so in F1, too; doesn't necessarily translate to the best production road vehicle.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

After doing lots of reading and research, and despite the negativity in this thread, put a deposit on a Cyclewerks Misfit, should be getting it early November.

Going to be my first bike, just completed the MSF course in NY and got my license.

I'll let it be known, a big reason why I chose the bike is because i'm going to be on my fathers insurance, and he wanted me to have a new bike....that and he's putting in $1,200 for it. I'm essentially only paying 2 grand for it.

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Nice

Buy 2 helmets, you are going to crush so much punani

Just get a couple thousand miles down first... learning in NYC is fucking brutal.

4. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Yeah the Insight was a marvel of engineering. But as a drivable automobile it was.... eh. Sure did love seeing how many MPG it got going down a hill though! People who try to save the world by driving this or that are lame. It's like "oh you drive a Prius? Do you know the heinous chemicals that go into the engine give it a higher carbon footprint than a Ford F-150 until you've driven it more than 100,000 miles?"

And yeah. Mclaren is tits. While we're at it, let's compare Ford to Saleen...

5. BostonHedonist

Good for you buddy. Just start getting miles under your belt. And for chrissake wear full gear for as long as you can bear it.

6. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

None of the current Japanese bikes has any character or soul...well other than the VMax and that isn't my kind of bike. Now some older bikes from the 80s and the 70s have character but nothing in the past 10 years has any. Souless efficient machines. The last Japanese sportbike with soul was the RC51 IMHO and they stopped making that in 04 or 05.

7. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Any Harley guys here? I was at the dealership to try some of their bikes.

All the Dyna's too tall for me my legs can hardly touch the ground. The sportster Forty eight with 1200 engine fit me very well and cost about 10k. Also they have a Softtail Slim. Really perfect but that thing is about 17k holy shit I don't want to spend that much.

So right now my only options are Sportster or Softail used. As I will ride it going to school sometimes, a Softail would be "too much" for me? I'm 5'8'' and pretty young.

A friend of mine has a V rod that thing is fast as fuck.

8. MarioImpemba

I wanted one just so it wouldnt rust away in Michigan like everything else [​IMG]

Define what character or soul means to you.

Not keen on the CB1100? Upcoming FZ-09?

9. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

10. epb

epb Senior member

The American public has steadfastly refused to buy any Japanese bike with character for decades. They make them, the press raves, and we all go get another Sportster. Watch how things go with the CB1100.

11. BostonHedonist

::sigh::

Yes, there is the GTR. Not much for comfort as a daily driver, but it is one hell of a driving machine. I'd love to take one of those for a spin.

Probably the only Harley I'd consider is the Fat Bob

[​IMG]

I'm not really into Harleys and it's always the guys riding these bikes in particular who don't give anyone else "The Wave." The whole culture of it is too... insular. And you're always paying in the neighborhood of $20k for something that shakes and rattles worse than a Furby in heat.[​IMG] Still, the Fat Bob is one sexy beast (even if its 1600+cc engine only makes 63bhp). As for the Sportster, I feel like it tries to be on the one hand sporty and on the other hand cruisery and thus, fails at both. Of course the same could probably be said for my bike...

[​IMG]

And I would agree with the assessment.

12. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

FUCK the GT-R. Yes, its competent, fast, even fun to drive... but it is the definition of soulless. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner and is the automotive equivalent of:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Performance cars need to get back to the mantra of "less is more". The first M5 weighed ~3400lbs. That's less than a 6 banger 3 series today. It's absurd. We need more Ariel Atoms and Factory Five 818s. [/endrant]

I totally forgot about the RC51. Def gonna look at those when the opportunity comes. Honda 996

13. BostonHedonist

[​IMG]

ahem
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, getting off topic.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  14. epb

epb Senior member

I don't think I've ever seen a t-bird or speedmaster in the wild. Chicago's crawling with Bonnies, Striples and the like but cruisers, not so much.

15. BostonHedonist

I've seen maybe 3-4 of Triumph's cruisers on the road besides mine in the past few years in Boston, and I live in the same neighborhood as my dealership. They are very uncommon choices, probably because you can get reliable, boring Japanese cruisers for cheaper that "look just like a Harley!" or, if you're an older guy looking for a shiny, high-torque-low-horsepower money pit, there's Harley itself.

But Triumph cruisers, for being cruisers, have a surprising amount of power, handling and reliability. And they've got their own style and character. More fun, I say, to stand out from the pack.

If I were to upgrade my Speedy to something heavier, faster and more cushy, I'd probably go with the T-Bird (MSRP $13.5k) over any other cruiser.

[​IMG]

But I think I'll get the STriple first.

[​IMG]

Because life's to short to always be riding a cruiser.

16. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I would go used. How much riding have you done? The thing is, Harleys are expensive, and they are very heavy. New riders and heavy bikes don't really mix. I don't think I could pick one up if I dropped it.

17. Rumpelstiltskin

18. MarioImpemba

Simplify, then add lightness ;)

As stated, I have a ~3k lbs cap. Anything much heavier ruins the experience, IMO. The GT-R is way too heavy. It's ugly, too. I'd take an R34, though. And then you could add a Supra in the mix at that point, too.

I see more Ducati's in Portland than anything. In the burbs (Beaverton) I see Bonneville's and old BMW's, and a ton of Harley's. I've also seen a fair amount of Triumphs cruising Mich Ave in Chicago. From what I've heard, NYC (presumably Brooklyn) is dominated by old CB's done up cafe style. Michigan is all Harley's or Japanese sport bikes.

19. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

And this is a reasonably attractive woman with quite nice boobs.

[​IMG]

20. Rumpelstiltskin

It's something that is hard to describe, the bike just speaks to you. It doesn't have to be European but it does have to have something that seems odd works out right. I have heard Ducatistas bemoaning the fact that the new Ducs have wet clutches and no timing belts to change every 7k miles. Would you believe that in order to test the tension of the belts, you have to pluck it and measure the harmonic output with a guitar tuner? WTF? That's crazy yet endearing.

It's not just some seemingly backwards technology that gives a bike character or soul. The 1st & 2nd gen Aprilia Tuono had soul...the jury is still out on the current V4 beast. The 883 fakes like it has soul but what it really wants/needs is a lot of loctite. Triumph bikes seem to have it as did the RC51 and the VFR750s. The Honda Pacific Coast was the most soul-less machine ever created. Most air cooled BMW boxers have soul but those K bikes? Nope. Ditto with the S1000RR. The 04 ZX10 was a special beast but the later ones lost something. The original R1s had something as did the original CBR900 with it's lopsided (16" front, 17" rear) wheels.

The CB1100 is Honda's version of Kawasaki's ZRX1200 Zephyr.

[​IMG]

The big Zephyr tried to bring back the Eddie Lawson glory days by combining new technology with old styling. That shit didn't work for them and I don't think it will work for Honda. Remember the Honda GB500 and how well it did?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013