• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Did you pull the plug(s) when the motor is hot or cold? Does it rev smooth?
I would check your coil for a good ground and hot lead. Change the plugs and check the gap, look for breaks in the spark plug wire, etc. Start small.
Are the 400's single or dual carb'd?

Dual- Pretty sure it is identical to yours with a little more displacement (my clymer's manual certainly covers both).

It revs smooth, plugs were new last year and gap should be good. I guess plugs were pulled cold. I haven't done the thing where you get it warmed up, ride it hard to a high RPM, and then kill the engine. coast to a stop, and check the plugs.

For the most part it runs fine but it definitely seems like the left side runs better. Will be putting it away for the winter in a few weeks, but will try to check it over some more before that.

sonomadrifter

Reaction score

did you reuse the old seat pan or cut a new one?

All new pan, mounts, foam and my first time working leather.

Dual- Pretty sure it is identical to yours...check it over some more before that.

Say if it was a ring problem it may make a difference (if compression test hasn't been recently done) if it was warm vs. cold.

One carb may be gunked? Valve issue? I doesn't sound like a spark problem if its revving smoothly.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

All new pan, mounts, foam and my first time working leather.
Say if it was a ring problem it may make a difference (if compression test hasn't been recently done) if it was warm vs. cold.
One carb may be gunked? Valve issue? I doesn't sound like a spark problem if its revving smoothly.

Yeah I suspect (in my very limited knowledge) that it may be a ring problem based on some previous research I have done. I think it works fine once it is warm and the plug comes out oil fouled. IIRC compression on both cylinders was good, but the right one was lower than the left.

It is probably due for me to check out the valves and the timing and things like that...but as I have never done them before, I will keep putting it off. Hopefully it will be like the carbs and when I finally decide to do it, I will realize how simple they are inside.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bump - did anyone end up getting these? I like the look of these Midnight Classics...
classic_midnight_side_480.jpg

classic_midnight_front_480.jpg

These came in today and they smell amazing. Fit is pretty spot on as well.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we expect a thorough review with photos? I'd like to know what you think after you've had a chance to try them out.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can we expect a thorough review with photos? I'd like to know what you think after you've had a chance to try them out.

Sure thing. I'm hoping to take the bike out tonight briefly so they should get their first use then.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of boots, the fall sale at Ralph Lauren spurred me to buy the RRL Murdock engineer boot. I am not sure I will acutally use them for riding, but man, they are one gorgeous boot. Will post pics if anyone is interested..

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Please do

Murdock boots, RRL:

image1pww.jpg

imageriaq.jpg

Deadstock Cat's Paw heels:

image2myr.jpg

Awesome boot, with obvious high quality and a nice, sleek fit compared to most of the other engineer's boots I have, which tend to be rather bulbous..

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It might not look like it, but you're gazing upon the world's fastest big block V-twin. The Confederate X132 Hellcat Combat Motorcycle ($72,000) set the record of 172.2 mph on the Bonneville Salts, which translates to 200 mph on asphalt. It's 2,163cc, 160 hp X132 Combat Twin engine deserves most of the credit, but it's helped along by a 5-speed transmission, custom suspension, BlackStone Tek Carbon Fiber wheels, front Beringer and rear Brembo brakes, LED lighting, and a total body weight under 500 lbs. Limited to just 36 examples worldwide.

Last edited:

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score

It might not look like it, but you're gazing upon the world's fastest big block V-twin. The Confederate X132 Hellcat Combat Motorcycle ($72,000) set the record of 172.2 mph on the Bonneville Salts, which translates to 200 mph on asphalt. It's 2,163cc, 160 hp X132 Combat Twin engine deserves most of the credit, but it's helped along by a 5-speed transmission, custom suspension, BlackStone Tek Carbon Fiber wheels, front Beringer and rear Brembo brakes, LED lighting, and a total body weight under 500 lbs. Limited to just 36 examples worldwide.

My bike weighs less than 400 lbs. Not quite as fast, though.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Murdock boots, RRL:
image1pww.jpg

imageriaq.jpg

Deadstock Cat's Paw heels:
image2myr.jpg

Awesome boot, with obvious high quality and a nice, sleek fit compared to most of the other engineer's boots I have, which tend to be rather bulbous..

Simply gorgeous. I must have a pair.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure thing. I'm hoping to take the bike out tonight briefly so they should get their first use then.

K, took these out on a ride today and here are some thoughts:

- They're pretty comfortable. The leather's not as thick as my 8" Red Wing boots so it didn't take long to break in. They were fine to both ride and walk around in.
- Construction & leather seems decent but I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. One thing the pics don't convey is the awesome new shoe smell they have.
- They're padded across the foot as well as in the ankles but that appears to just an extra layer of leather than any form of actual armour.
- The zippers are some sturdy YKKs but the buckles are a bit flimsy; that being said, they'd don't really have to take a lot of strain so they should be fine.
- They got the fit down pretty decently, both in the foot and in the calf. These fit fine under my jeans as I'd specified that's how I'd be wearing them.

8176585389_28c6bd1f41_b.jpg

8176587597_41e38d62d8_b.jpg

8176589543_2b144dbb3e_b.jpg

8176591855_1051396c8d_b.jpg

8176626946_1a80f24b00_b.jpg

8176631382_218d27081c_b.jpg

8176629342_569d16e046_b.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads