Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Japan has similarly stringent testing, but owning a car here is not usually a necessity like it is in the states.

Japanese drivers are very good in the city but get them on a freeway and their brains seem to suddenly switch off. If I go to the countryside on the weekend say to go skiing or play golf it might take 2 hours to get there but almost certainly 4, 5, 6, 10 hours to get back because of the inevitable pile ups. I think people here are not used to long distance driving so when they do do it they tend to fall asleep. I've been in a car where the driver fell asleep and crashed, luckily he wasn't doing highway speed and no one was hurt but the car was totaled.

2. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

Ok . . .:uhoh:

3. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I've always been amazed that people can actually fall asleep when driving. I've had a friend total two cars doing it and it just seems to me that if you were getting sleepy then you would pull off the road, open the windows, or grab some coffee. I just couldn't shut my eyes knowing that I'm already in the process of driving a large steel machine...

4. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

And you tell that to young people nowadays and they just woooon't believe you.

5. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I've done a lot of long distance driving and I think you become aware of your own limits but if you rarely get out of the city in your car it can be difficult. Japanese people also tend to be sleep deprived so it can catch them out pretty easily and I think the bouts of sleepiness come over people pretty quickly.

6. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I used to work with a guy who got smashed into by a guy who died of a heart attack at the wheel, his car crossed the median strip and head-oned into my guy. He had a nice car too, a Nissan GT-R, so when he got his insurance cheque he bought another nice car, a brand new BMW 3 series. He'd had the car for less than 2 weeks when on the exact same road a woman blacked out and crashed into him head-on, the kicker is she was heading to the doctor because she was blacking out! Also she was the neighbour of another co-worker who told us that her husband had committed suicide in the car she was driving and she kept the car.

7. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

That would be enough for me to become a bus wanker for a few months. The fact that the lady got into the car knowing she was having blackouts is face palm inducing.

8. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Yeah absolutely. My friend was never the same, we used to do service calls all over Sydney together and he would usually drive because he knows Sydney much better than I do, but for months afterwards he wouldn't drive the work car.

9. poissa

poissa Senior member

I decided I needed to fill avoid in regard to safety. I went the 2 piece option with Spidi track pants w/ sliders and a Spidi jacket. Now, I'm sure I'll look ridiculous with the color scheme when I'm on the bike. I'll get a picture for giggles up soon.

Most of the time I'm in chill mode but it's better to be more protected than not. Now to see about knee dragging!

10. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

WTF? I mean, that driver is crazy, but why do they keep egging him on?

11. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

They were pretty stupid to keep following him after they had the plate number down. I guess when a bunch of brolos are out on their bikes they want to act tough. I am still pretty impressed that the guy who got rammed managed to stay up.

12. otc

otc Senior member

unclear what exactly happened there (besides bad play on both sides...that part is clear).

Did one of them pull over so they could phone it in while the rest of them stuck with the car until the police showed up? Or did they just keep going until they drove by a cop who was like WTF?

Unless they had radios, its not like they could really coordinate their efforts on the bike.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Any suggestions for gloves? My current synthetic material work gloves are opening up on the fingertips so I need something new and real (instead of a third pair of home depot work gloves that will open up in a few months.

Don't want to spend a lot of money...need some place with easy returns so I can order 2 different sizes.
    jacket and boots are very dark brown but I can do black gloves if that's the best option. Don't want something too bulky or hot inside.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

14. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Almost any generic motorcycle gear place will have leather gloves in all shapes and sizes, armored and unarmored. Good luck finding anything that isn't black though.. Dime City Cycles has some nice looking stuff at good prices. If you have to have something that isn't black, and don't mind forking out close to $50, these from Iron and Resin have a cool vintage look going on..

15. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Gnatty, it seems like you always have the coolest sites for motorcycle gear. Do you have any favorite online shops or blogs that you would recommend?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012