1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Changed my oil today and ordered some new blinkers and mirrors.

I probably change my oil too often. I don't actually ride very many miles (very little highway time, lots of city time), but it feels wrong to not change the oil when I pull it out of storage. But then it feels wrong to not have fresh oil in it when it goes into storage...and it feels wrong not changing the oil sometime *during* the season.

2. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

Maybe you should change your user name from otc to ocd, oil compulsive disorder.

1 person likes this.
  3. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

How often do you guys clean and lube/wax your chains?

4. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I read you're supposed to change the oil before putting it into storage as dirty oil sitting can be bad for the engine parts. I always just change it at the end of the season.

I probably only do 3k miles/year at most, and I use full synthetic that's rated for 10-15k miles.

5. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I

I'll lube it up a bit after about 500 miles. Full cleaning after 1000. But I don't ride in the rain...

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  6. BostonHedonist

Guys I have an issue. The velcro in my gloves is starting to mess up the lining of the sleeves of my jacket. It's pulling out one or two fibers at a time. And then there's some pilling on the underside where the velcro doesn't touch. Over time I'd wager some holes will start to form. Given the price of this jacket, I'd like to prevent that from happening if possible...

7. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

Gauntlet style race gloves that go over the outside cuff of the jacket.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

For a cars not bikes. Bike for the most part have wet clutches so the oil does double duty and lubricates the clutch (as well as catches debris) as well.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  9. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Shudder

10. tomenugen

tomenugen Well-Known Member

Need a jacket. Leather preferrably. Doesn't need armor. What are you guys wearing?

11. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Try a Fox Creek Leather. Good quality, affordable, and made in USA.

12. Rumpelstiltskin

Why not?

I alternate between 2 Dainese jackets: Stripes and Santa Monica

13. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Going summer jacket shopping tomorrow. It's 30C here not including humidity and I've been riding with my Trailmaster open and it ain't cutting it.

Leaning towards this Triumph Assen jacket:

[​IMG]

• 600D Polycordora and 500D stretch Cordora fabric combination
    • Removable CE certified Knox[​IMG] protectors- elbow and shoulder
    • Removable CE certified Knox[​IMG] back protector
    • TriTex- Waterproof, windproof and breathable z-liner
    • Removable quilted liner incorporating Outlast[​IMG] technology
    • 3M[​IMG] night reflective insert
    • Removable 3M[​IMG] night reflective arm bands for additional visibility
    • AirFlow Tech zipper ventilation panels

Also may consider some Dainese options as well.

14. Rumpelstiltskin

Was 90 here yesterday, 90 today and will be 90 tomorrow. Horrible bike riding weather. This is sticky balls weather...pass-out-in-traffic weather. Ever see a guy just faint while at a stop? It actually isn't funny...til later on at least

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  15. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I went out once when it was a 100, and at that temp, it actually feels hotter than it is... damn thermodynamics.

16. BostonHedonist

17. epb

epb Senior member

I'm thinking about the Scorpion Hat Trick, which is supposed to be good for Spring/Summer/Fall. I'll post a review if I wind up getting it.

On the bike front, I picked up another Hawk today, this time a 1978 CB400T II. Nice little bike. It's funny, but though my other bike (Hawk GT) is 25 years old, it's the CB400 that people react to as vintage ("Nice classic." "Old school, I like it.") Maybe it's the matte black Bell Classic open face I wear riding it - adds to the vintage look. Now that I think about it, I was wearing Chuck Taylor hi-tops, too! lol

18. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Damn store didn't have it in stock. I did try on some of the Dainese stuff but they all felt a little too flimsy for me - at least the all-mesh variations.

Anyone have any experience whatsoever with Aether's new motorcycle line?

19. BostonHedonist

Yeah pretty much any textile/mesh option feels flimsy. But they'll at least deliver on keeping you armored.

That Aether Skyline looks fantastic, if a bit warm for summer. You really need mesh for those hot-as-hell days. But I may put that jacket on my list just next to an armored Belstaff Trialmster.

20. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

I believe most of the mesh jackets on the market are made of polyurethane or nylon; which will melt if you end up sliding down the road or if it touches a hot exhaust pipe. I have a Motosport mesh jacket which is made out of Kevlar, not poly/nylon. I believe these Kevlar jackets have a higher abrasion resistance than leather and they won't melt like the poly mesh jackets.

1 person likes this.