1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I was expecting to see dudes sitting on their fairings, riding backwards, surfing, rolling endos, stopping traffic and in general playing the fool. But one guy doing a standup wheelie? And he was going 74 mph but then jumped up to 93 mph? *gasp* These hooligans are out of control! [​IMG] These Canadians would shit a brick if they lived in my area, esp. since my county has a no chase policy.

He did keep it up for a long time though

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. Rumpelstiltskin

Damn it! Sorry to hear but glad to hear you're mostly ok. How's the bike?

3. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Is it wrong that I'm toying with trying to low-speed wheelie?

I have no interest in doing highway wheelies and stunts, but I want to be comfortable with being in control of the bike should the front tire lift under accel, especially if I get a quicker bike down the line.

4. Rumpelstiltskin

Any exercise that gives you greater control is worthwhile IMHO. I hate to wheelie because I am chickenshit but can pull one and ride it out if necessary, usually to stop tankslappers

5. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Bike is fine, frame slider and my foot took the brunt of the impact. I picked it up and rode it home w/a broken foot like an idiot

7. Rumpelstiltskin

Sounds like a 15 mph crash. What kind of bike?

8. Cool The Kid

06 Ninja 650. Good bike.

9. Rumpelstiltskin

Good bike. SHould be easy enough to sell once you decide to go up in size. Sticking with a twin or going inline4?

10. BostonHedonist

I have a dilemma guys. I need a second bike. The cruiser just isn't enough and I need something with balls while I'm still young. I have it narrowed down to two: Triumph Speed Triple or the MV Brutale 675. STriple is a great handling bike and the dealership is 5 min from my place. MV is fucking beautiful, sounds amazing and similarly priced, but the only dealership is 40 min away and parts are more rare. I don't know how reliable MVs are but it sounds expensive to keep up.

I'm leaning triumph out of practicality...

11. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Ive ridden the MV 910R and its a fantastic sexy sounding bike with drop dead gorgeous curb appeal.

If you're getting it new, I can't foresee too many issues. If you want a #YOLO bike, go italian!

12. Rumpelstiltskin

The only Triumphs I've ridden were the 1050 Speed Triple and the Daytona (which the Street Triple is based on). The Daytona is a nice ride, close to i4 750 power yet has a decent amount of low end grunt and from what I have heard Triumph didn't dumb it down at all when they removed the fairing. I hate the headlights though - I'd have to swap them for the original round lights, which is supposedly an easy thing to do.

[​IMG]

The new brutale is gorgeous but a brand new bike with an unknown build quality. But good gawd it is gorgeous. It is down on power compared to the F3 that it is based on but good for those with a short inseam. Did I mention it was gorgeous?

[​IMG]

Of course you could look behind door #3 -

[​IMG]

the 848 Streetfighter. And it has a wet clutch so no "Hey mister - I think your bike is broke" comments

There you go: 2 Italians and a Brit to choose from

1 person likes this.
  13. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

Streetfighter or monster IMO.

1 person likes this.
  14. Rumpelstiltskin

The air cooled monsters (even the 1100evo) are kinda neutered. He wants a bike with balls

15. Cool The Kid

I'm gonna make the lateral move to an SV650. A little tiny bit more power, but a much better platform for track time and tinkering. 4 bangers are cool but I love that twin growl. Just a lil more soul. Only 4s I like are old air cooled ones (heavy + noodly bikes) or those MV Agustas (they just sound meaner). If I went with a 4 it would have to be something different like a V4 or the crossplane R1. I'm moving down to Charlotte which is like 100 miles from CMP so that should be a lot of fun.

16. Cool The Kid

I would get rid of the cruiser

17. Rumpelstiltskin

test ride a triumph if you can. The triple splits the difference between a twin and a 4cyl. I rode a Daytona with an arrow full exhaust. I liked it plus it isn't the most common bike around. I think the R version comes with Ohlins suspension

18. BostonHedonist

Actually the 848 streetfighter was the third bike I was looking at... And my Triumph shop also does Ducati. I had been thinking, "If I go Italian at all, why not go all the way to MV." But damn that is a gorgeous bike too. I guess going with the STriple would really be a matter of convenience.

You really think get rid of the cruiser Cool Kid? You know, I probably would had I not spent last seasons upgrading the suspension, removing the airbox, tweaking the carb jetting and fitting on new pipes....

[​IMG]

Now me and the girl have a history.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  19. Cool The Kid

I dont want to come off like a cruiser hater. I love the Diavel, I love the M109R, I love old Sportsters. But I think its best to buy the right tool for the job. You like performance and feedback- cruisers don't deliver on that front. They aren't bad bikes, they are just not good for what you want. I would sell the cruiser and put that $$$ towards something more to your liking.

As far as MVs they just came out with the Brutale 800 I think. Stroked out 675, should have the extra punch anyone would want. I am thinking it will cannibalize the Brutale 675 sales. Its a real dice roll though. I like triples but Im still partial to twins so if it were my $$$ I would go with the SF848. Esp if parts and dealer access is a concern.

One thing I do wish more manufacturers made were faired street bikes. 848 Superbike is too ergonomically aggressive, 848SF is comfier but turns you to a parachute over 90. Maybe an 848 Superbike w/riser clipons + a bigger windscreen is the answer

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  20. otc

otc Senior member

How hard is it to find the naked version of the ninja 650 in the US? I don't think it sold for very long.

Otherwise the naked SV650 and the monsters are possibilities on my list.