Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

My bike (Cagiva Gran Canyon) would look odd with the fairing removed. It is short and keeps some wind off my body.

A previous bike was equipped with an aftermarket windscreen which caused buffeting at my helmet. I experimented with it and decided that I much preferred the bike without the plastic in front of me. This was one of those upright block type things.

2. otc

otc Senior member

the kz400 is back up and running! Turned out it was some electrical gremlins hiding in the breaker points and the fact that it happened at the same time as I had removed and played with the carbs was just a pure coincidence.

Took it all up and down town for about 45 miles. Twice rode past my exit and decided to just keep on going.

3. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

The Texas Hill Country this past Saturday.

[​IMG]

4. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Very insightful.

5. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I heard that the Hill Country is absolutely beautiful. I'm hoping to check it out sometime in July or August. It will be unbearably hot but it should still be a nice ride.

6. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

It is beautiful but blazing hot during those months. If you're in this part of the Hill Country you need to check out the Three Sisters. That's where I do a lot of my riding and where the picture was taken.

http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/5909981/

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

7. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I'll definitely have to check that out. I'm down halfway between Houston and Galveston right and have mostly been riding around this area, but that looks like it would be a great change of scenery.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

8. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

This is now on my bucket list.

9. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

That is so unbelievably cool. I know an older guy who goes on paying trips where groups of 50-60 riders go through Africa, South America, and Eastern Europe. Stuff like this would be an adventure of a lifetime.

10. Steve Smith

Three weeks ago, Mt Mitchell in western North Carolina. We rode from Asheville, low 70's and partly cloudy to this: all clouds and 42 degrees. Just a few miles apart.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

11. Steve Smith

Those of you interested in motorcycle adventures should take a look at the ride reports on Adventure Rider http://advrider.com/forums/. There is some mind boggling stuff on that site. Pick a destination, pick a bike, pick a budget---it has been done and you can read about it. I would have gotten a hell of a lot more work done over the last few months if I had not discovered that site.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Complete noob here about motorcycles.

Are they really an accident waiting to happen?

I'm highly interested in getting a license and a bike.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

13. Steve Smith

There is more risk because you are less protected in case of an accident. Life is an accident waiting to happen.

14. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

If you take the safety course and ease into it then I don't think it's "an accident waiting to happen". I had never been on a motorcycle in my life and about a month ago I decided to get my license and buy a bike. I've already rode about 800-900 miles and haven't had any mishaps, but that doesn't mean I've let my guard down. It is always going to be more dangerous than riding in a car and you always have to thinking proactively about how to avoid some of the idiots that litter our highways.

If you are interested in it then I suggest taking the safety course before you even buy a bike. Just go out and get a feel for it and start slow. I'm a huge clutz, so if I can do it then anyone can.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

15. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

It may seem like an accident waiting to happen if you haven't navigated traffic before. You are generally more attentive on a bike (less distractions). As long as you compensate for the natural vulnerability by planning your moves early, giving plenty of space, and ensuring your safety isn't dependent on a driver seeing and reacting to you, you're doing things right.

You can do a lot to prevent accidents, but unfortunately, not everything: getting rear-ended sucks.