Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I started street riding on an 1100 cc inline 4 and in less than a year moved up to a V-4 1100 because I wanted more power. I had the physical strength and the maturity to handle the bikes, never laid one down, never in an accident of any kind.

Maybe you needed to start with a 250.

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Good find. That Honda is a better looking bike IMO. And so much the better if the bags were included (no bags on the other bike). Those can run into some money.

I delivered a Yamaha V-Twin to my BIL about 12 years ago, 1100 miles in exchange for a plane ticket back to NC. It only displaced 650cc's but it was a big bike with a big sound. I am not a cruiser rider but I have to admit that it was a pretty nice bike.

Last edited: May 20, 2012

3. otc

otc Senior member

Got mine out last night.

Will have to see what it takes to get it running again. Definitely need to replace the brake fluid (handlebars came off and went upsidedown trying to get it through a doorway and the lines are loaded up with squishy squishy air), charge the battery, and change the oil.

I pushed the starter to see if it would come on--it turned over but not hard (and it was too cold for it to start when I put it away so it may not be running at all)

4. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

What kind of bike otc?

5. otc

otc Senior member

'79 kawasaki KZ-400

plan on using some of my long weekend to get it going. Should have planned ahead and ordered some stuff online...I remember it being hard to find an oil filter since most of the shops near me only carry auto filters (although I could just change the oil...there's barely been any mileage on it since the filter change...150-200 max).

Last edited: May 25, 2012

6. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Anyone ride a Triumph? I'm a big fan of the old style motorcycles, thinking about getting one (never ridden before). I like the Bonnevilles. Thoughts? Past experiences? Things I should watch out for?

7. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

^Paging gnatty8! You're presence is needed.:lurk:

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Try something like this:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/

I was able to get a $200 helmet for $100.

Their site isn't that user friendly, but they have good prices.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ also has some good prices.

Also check ebay after you found what you like. Normally the prices aren't great, but after searching for jackets, the one I wanted was cheapest on Ebay.

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Soemebody rang?

I ride a 2008 Bonneville T100 and bought a 2011 Scrambler last year for mixed use and light trail riding up at my shack in the woods. Triumph makes some very solid bikes, and for a classic look with modern accoutrements, it's hard to beat a Triumph. What specifically did you want to know about them?

Last edited: May 26, 2012

10. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Thanks for the tip. I'll try checking those out and I'll keep my eye out on ebay for some jackets.

I had a fun ride with my Dad today. We went down to Galveston island and rode through some back roads on the way back. We both had a great time and it was a pretty fun bonding experience.

Last edited: May 26, 2012

11. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

How are they for a first bike? Are they reliable, or am I going to have to do a lot of work on it? If so, is it something I can probably do myself with a manual and a few hours of spare time, or will it need to go to a mechanic?

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Assuming you are buying new or almost new, they are very reliable bikes with little to no maintenance that cannot be done yourself with basic tools. They are chain driven, so you'll need to spend some time every 1000 miles or so (depending on use) cleaning and luring your chain. At the same time, you'll want to check the tension and periodically adjust it, which is fairly easy. I'd recommend one as a first bike any day, since they have very solid handling, are quite light, but at the same time, have a powerful enough motor that ou aren't going to need to trade up nice you gain more experience. If you are doing mainly urban or highway riding, stick with a Bonneville. I would expect there is very little maintenance you'd need to do that cannot be done at home if you don't mind getting dirty. If you buy used, keep in mind that all Triumphs made for the US market switched to EFI in 2009 courtesy of the EPA so if you buy one older than that, it'll have a carburetor, not EFI. Of course, if you are new to riding, I'd very strongly recommend taking the MSF basic rider's course and once you do that, take any other courses they offer. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you had any specific questions.

13. ken

ken Banned by Request

That's a Sportster.

14. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Hmm, okay, thought it was a shovel. How can you tell? I don't know much about bikes yet.

On another note, just got my license a few days ago. Picked up the key to my shop space I'm renting out, moved my tools and bike into it, building my workbench hopefully this weekend. Gonna get internet set up in there and probably bring a fridge and couch. Hitting up hardware stores this weekend to take full advantage of fathers day sales to stock up on anything I need and don't have. :slayer:

15. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Do you guys keep your windshields or fairings on all the time? I know that it's useful to keep the wind from getting too intense, but I really like the look of my bike better without it. I'd probably keep it on for highway rides, but for riding around town I'm thinking about popping it off.