1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I hate all of those with the possible exception of the Vanson. I am not sure about the gloss on the Vanson jacket, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it'd look far better IRL. The rest of those are just awful IMO..

2. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

$1500? Not really IMO. Then again I am a function over form kinda guy. I don't think I could fork over 1500 beans for a riding jacket that I would still have to jury rig armour to fit under it.

3. Rumpelstiltskin

Riding boots

Waaaaaay back in the days I used to ride my speedy Honda Shadow 500 in boat shoes, Rebock high tops or whatever I was wearing at the time. Later as I got older and wiser I started wearing my trusty Frye Harness boots.

[​IMG]

I love these boots and really believed that they provided adequate protection. They really dont

I ended up buying pair of racing style: Alpinestars SMX-R

[​IMG]

They were a lot safer than the Fryes and the all black made them inconspicuous. Unfortunately they didn't breathe very well and gave me an awful case of swamp foot. On warm summer days i felt like I was constrantly standing on a wet sponge. Yuck. Another problem is that they squeaked like a cage full of hungry mice. I also noticed that they always felt vague on my feet resulting in plenty of mis-shifts. But the straw that broke the camel's back was the fact that they did not provide lateral ankle support. I could easily bend upper at a 90 degree angle.

That led me to my current boots: TCX Competizione rs[​IMG]

These things are great. They are safe, the breathe well enough to wear in 100 degree weather. And with the plastic rear kick-plate installed instead of the metal ones, they are almost as inconspicuous as the Alpinestars. I wear these about 98% of the time. After about a year they too started to squeak.

I have 2 more boots I plan on purchasing. The first is a Dianese Axial Race In

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is a great boot. They have an internal carbon fiber ankle brace system plus since I wear Dainese gear I can wear the leathers over the boot (Dainese pants & suits have built in shin protection) plus they look great with jeans. Valentino Rossi wears em for gawd's sake! If [​IMG] approves of them then so do I

[​IMG]

I also bounced up on this French company named Vitesse that makes some interesting riding gear. One boot in particular stood out, the Hunt

[​IMG]

Yes yes yes laces are not a great idea for motorcycles but other than that it looks like a solid casual boot plus it would coordinate well with my Stripes jacket. I don't think I would ever wear my Frye boots while riding again.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  4. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Hey guys. I'm new to this thread. Lots of fantastic motorcycles in here and a good, friendly group of men. This spring i'll be taking on a 'cafe' project of my own. It'll probably be a 70's cb750 simply for ease of build and parts availability here in Canada. However, I've yet to find a machine in the price range i'm looking for. I want a bike that is not torn down and bastardized already. I don't care if it runs because i'm mechanically inclined and have fabrication skills (MIG and TIG tickets) to bring the machine back to life. In the meantime i'm enjoying following this thread and learning from you all.

:)

5. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

How? It was $995 or something for half the models, and $1500 for the others with the padding. This was cowhide and before options, too. I got the pricer a week ago.

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Good to see we have riders here. Just put my Ninja 650 into storage for this damn NYC storm

7. EgliComet

EgliComet Senior member

Hi Folks,
    I'm new here and was just curious how many riders there are from Long Island/NYC area...
    I manage a motorcycle collection for a living and perhaps we could put together a visit this spring for those interested. Kindly speak up if you're so inclined to take a look.
    Best regards,
    eglicomet

8. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

You might try posting on http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles . They wont be as well dressed and cultured as these bunch, but you might get a bigger crowd.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  9. Rumpelstiltskin

Wow. That would be a dream job

10. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Cloth jacket fitting from Johnson Leathers in San Francisco. I'm having them copy a vintage TT Leathers jacket but add in Forcefield armor in the back, shoulders and elbows along with some other design modifications:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

12. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Really? They show up fine for me. Anyone else?

13. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

I don't know what you did Trini but I see them now. What kind of cloth? Looks good.

14. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Cheers. It looks like they used a corduroy. Just to be clear, this is just the test fitting shell that they will base the new leather jacket off of. Kind of like how some shirtmakers will do a muslin version before making the final shirt. The final jacket will be in a 3.75-4oz naked leather.

Also, I got a pair of the Maple motorcycle jeans which I'm wearing in those pics. .They're raw denim with a kevlar lining and forcefield armor in the hips and knees.

15. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

After all of the years on this site I finally just got what this smiley means.

16. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself.:teach:

1 person likes this.
  17. Rumpelstiltskin

Reminds me of the horsehide Dainese Chiodo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  18. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Great day for a ride. Took my Sportie out for first ride of 2013, so a little WAYWRN in the motorsickles threak..

[​IMG]

19. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

The inspiration was a combination of the following jackets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So jealous.

20. Rumpelstiltskin

Nice. Are you sticking with moo skin or will you consider going a different route such as horse or buffalo? What about kangaroo? It's already a custom so you might as well get sprinkles and a cherry on top

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013