Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Thanks, regardless, it's a cool way to take your kid shopping.

2. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I'm in Toronto so right now the weather's ridiculously nice.

I've been riding with just some plain lined leather gloves but am considering these Carbone Corazzo gloves.. Any thoughts?

3. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

Those look like good summer gloves. A little tech for my tastes, but they look comfy.

4. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

Anyone know of another company that makes nice moto leathers besides Schott? Need something that is more slim-fitting.

5. KnowYourRights

I wouldn't worry about the CCs. You're the one twisting the grip.

If you're sticking to in-town riding and want a scooter over a motorcycle, DO NOT get anything smaller than 150cc. And that's a bit small. You'll need to keep up with traffic, so anything less is dangerous.

If you're going for a motorcycle, look at standards. Sportbikes are uncomfortable and twitchy for the new rider. Cruisers can be sluggish in the handling department and sketchy at parking lot speeds...again, for the new rider who's not used to the weight.

A "standard" is just, well, a motorcycle. It's what motorcycles were before the hyper-specialization. You'll get a somewhat upright riding position and wider bars that are neither too low or too high. For a new rider, this is what you should consider. Having your legs comfortably beneath you--not bent back behind you or sprawled out in front of you--makes learning a lot easier.

The Honda Nighthawk 750 is a decent pick. Kawasaki ZR (not the ZRX) might be good, though it is a 1200cc power plant. I think they make a 750. Cant remember exactly what ZRs were offered. Or take a look at a regular HD Sportster.

I'm sure there are tons more good suggestions, but I ride vintage bikes, so I'm not up on the latest offerings.

6. KnowYourRights

Vanson makes some decent non-PowerRanger leathers. And I think Dainese has some plain leathers as well.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

7. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Thanks - I've been checking out the Nighthawk 750s that are available online. I will probably end up going for one of those if this happens. I can't do a scooter because that means I'm really stuck in Sacramento, even with a 150cc engine. I definitely need something I can take on the road to get out of here when I get bored.

8. innocentbystander

innocentbystander Well-Known Member

I have those. They suck. They are completely trashed (all the stitching is coming apart, holes in the material) after just a year of normal riding.

9. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Cheers. Thanks for the heads up. Now considering these Rev'it Monster gloves.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

10. innocentbystander

innocentbystander Well-Known Member

Those look nice. I don't have any user experience with them, so that is all I can say. I like these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/roland-sands-design-diesel-gloves

I think they're pretty sexy, but I'm broke as hell right now, so I'm stuck with my Corazzo's.

On another note, it's the the Spring Scoot rally in Portland this weekend, so yay.

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Bought a new (to me) bike this week. 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon. 900cc Ducati engine, 15,000 miles, chip, aftermarket exhaust (louder than I would have chosen).

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Congratulations on your bike, looks great. Be safe out there..

13. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

As mentioned earlier, the weather makes a huge difference. I have 4 pairs, I ride from 40 degrees (F) to 90+, and while I usually wear a middleweight pair because it's 60-80, (one with gauntlets and one without)...when it's really hot I have a light, unlined pair and zero-degree mitts form the Aerostitch catalog for when it's under 60 (or my hands go numb).

Something else to think about -- if your hands get sore or tingly...gloves with gel palms are great. My Honda 1100 is great, smooth riding, but one of my previous bikes, a V-Star Classic 650, vibrated my hands to oblivion and the gel gloves made highway riding much more bearable.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Thanks. Age and family keep me cautious. It's a good thing I didn't have one of these when I was in my 20's.

15. bubbleboys

bubbleboys Senior member

Your faith that every new rider will have the same self control and experience you do is truly inspiring.

Your hands really shouldn't be tingly.

There ARE motorcycles which vibrate so much as to cause some discomfort in your hands, but more often than not, the problem is mostly, if not entirely, due to poor body position.
    You should be gripping the tank with your thighs/knees, which alleviates you from putting weight on your hands and thus the handlebars.
    You should also be trying to keep your grip on the handlebars as light as possible, in general. There's no need to deathgrip them.

Remember, any force on the handlebars is steering input, aka don't push on your handlebars unless you're trying to turn or something.

For those of you who are starting out riding, seriously, just join a motorcycle forum and learn in the right place.
    You don't see me going to the motorcycle forums I'm on to learn about how to dress well.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012