Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Sorry I don't know about the States but in Japan if it is more than 50cc you need a bike license. Bradford is considering a motorcycle as well so I assume he has a license or is going to get one.

2. dmash

dmash Senior member

I didn't know this thread existed...........I love my motorcycle............

[​IMG]

3. dmash

dmash Senior member

BTW Kurt, not sure if you're still reading this thread.....but I recently sold my car and have my CBR as my sole form of transportation. I'm in Gville at UF, so I'm actually close to you.

It's definitely doable, grocery getting is the only pain, but that's because I literally eat 7-8 times a day and cook all my meals, so I'm constantly heading to Publix. Other than that.....I LOVE it.........

However, I rode dirt bikes for years so I really enjoy riding. If you're more of the 'weekend rider' type of a guy, it will definitely get on your nerves VERY fast.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I don't know about most states, but in California you have to a motorcycle license to ride a scooter or a motorcycle. I'm pretty sure that in Arizona, you didn't need a license if it was under 50cc.

I don't have a license yet, but I've ridden a little before and will sign up and take the MSF course when I'm ready to get my license.

Of course, now it's looking like we will just buy my wife a new vehicle, probably a minivan, and I will have to delay my purchase of a bike.

P.S. The new Sym's are kind of ridiculously expensive. The local dealer wants around $3,200 as the out the door price for one. That seems a lot for a scooter. If I wind up just getting something for fun, I'd be more tempted to spend a little more and just step up to a Ninja 250R or a Honda 250 CBR.

Hell, I could buy a used bike cheaper than the cost of a new Sym.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  5. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Yeah that's pretty expensive.

6. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

RR 337 between Camp Wood and Leaky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From a motorcycle museum just north of Vanderpool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I'm trying to work out exactly how much it would cost to go from zero to motorbike rider in terms of equipment. I can get a full course for £800, so I need to work out how much would be appropriate to spend on gear and a bike.

I've been convinced that textile represents the best bang-for-buck for jackets and trousers, and not to scrimp on boots or helmets, but at what point does "good quality" move into "premium pricing"?

If it helps I could phrase the question thus: "if you were starting a motorcycle school and needed protective gear that was safe, long lasting and a sensible investment, what would you pick?"

8. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

If you want to ride down 5 or 80 to SF, don't get a 250. Too small and light for long freeway slogs. Since your post only mentions price, it's hard to suggest anything. DO you want a cruiser? Sport bike? Standard? New-ish? Vintage?

Going just on price and "trips to SF" alone, get yourself a used Honda Nighthawk 750. Bulletproof. But kind of fugly, so not a lot of demand for them. Should keep the price down.

9. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Good to know. I don't mind used, but I was trying to avoid the new rider trap of getting something too powerful as a first bike.

Not really sure what type of bike I want, just looking to see what is out there.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

You're not a kid anymore and you are not going to fall prey to the power thing. I would advise to get as big a bike as you can. Once you master things you'll want/need a bigger bike. I agree with KYR that you want something substantial with a good bit of power if you plan to ride on a highway. You can control the urge of that throttle hand while you learn and then have the power you really need once you master the bike a bit. A good DOHC inline four has a nice, predictable powerband so it's not like you twist a little too much and are pulling a throttle wheelie.

11. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Did you catch the pic of Brad Pitt taking his kid in what looks like a classic BMW with a sidecar. Nice.

12. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

^Post the pic Brah!

13. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Sorry tech challenged. It was on Yahoo today.

14. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

15. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

It's a Ural, made in Russia. It looks like a BMW because Ural acquired the design and production techniques of the BMW R-71 motorcycle with sidecar in 1940 and they continue to produce that same model. Pitt's motorcycle looks vintage but it's modern.

[​IMG]