• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made a stencil and then spray painted it. and then clear coated it. I haven't tried any one piece suits. My Motoport jacket is light and comfortable. It's mesh and the airflow is pretty good.

Xhale12

Reaction score
Think I may be selling my bike. A kid in my MSF class got into an accident yesterday. He shattered his leg and got some nasty cuts all over his body. Already being scared shitless to ride in LA, I think this was the final straw. Love riding and was pumped to get started, I just don't know if it is worth the risk.

bubbleboys

Reaction score

Think I may be selling my bike. A kid in my MSF class got into an accident yesterday. He shattered his leg and got some nasty cuts all over his body. Already being scared shitless to ride in LA, I think this was the final straw. Love riding and was pumped to get started, I just don't know if it is worth the risk. 

To be honest, it sounds like you really didn't take time to sit down and seriously consider the dangers of riding in the first place.
I sound like an asshole right now, but riding a motorcycle is no joke.

Riding the street is inherently dangerous.
It takes me several minutes to gear up and another several minutes to gear down.
I wear a leather jacket, leather track pants, full length motorcycle boots, gauntlet gloves, back protector, chest protector, earplugs, and a full face helmet.
I wear all that every time I go out, even if it's to the grocery store a mile away, which I usually just take the car anyways because gearing up for such a short trip is a hassle.
Even with all that gear, I have no illusions of invulnerability or safety.
Even with 5+ years of riding experience, I have no illusions of invulnerability of safety.

I am one idiot driver away from a potentially life threatening injury, as are all of us.

That's why I don't ride the street much anymore and have transitioned into a track rider for the most part.
The track has its own dangers, but I don't have to worry about getting run over by someone who shouldn't have a drivers license in the first place, among other equally dangerous road hazards.

I'm active on several motorcycle forums and if I had to venture a guess, the kid in your MSF class probably wasn't wearing full length boots, or any other gear for that matter, and probably started out on a 600cc bike.
He probably got too throttle happy, and judging from your description of "shattered" his leg, he probably lowsided the bike hard and it slammed the tank or just the side of the bike hard onto his leg, thus shattering it.
He also probably thought that just because he could do a figure 8 in a parking lot, he was the next Rossi or Stoner.
How right am I, so far?

It's a shame that you're only now seriously considering the dangers of riding a motorcycle

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Riding is inherently dangerous. But that's kind of what makes it awesome. You're not sitting in a comfy chair watching the world go by outside a square glass window. Nope. The asphalt is flying by at 60...70...80 mph just a few inches below your foot.

There are equal amounts of acceptance and denial involved with riding on the street. Me? I'm no ATGATT nazi. Wear whatever keeps you comfortable and doesn't restrict your visibility and ability to pilot the bike. For all the leather and kevlar and boots and armor...it's your brain that will keep you as safe as you can be. The rest is just dumb luck. Sad, but true. Sure, you can hedge your bets with some smart gear choices, but it's reaction time, awareness, and experience that are far more important than whether your helmet is DOT or ANSI.

I've been riding 20+ years. I know my limits and the limits of my bikes. I ride within them. That's about as safe as I can be. My gear is secondary.

A healthy dose of fear and respect for riding can be a god thing for you, man. But you don't want to be a shivering mess when you're on the bike. It's up to you. If it's not the right time for you, wait. There will always be bikes and roads to ride. This **** is supposed to be (and is) fun!

Last edited:

Xhale12

Reaction score
I said a prayer and took her out on the street for the first time today. Drove around for about thirty minutes in rush hour traffic. Not very smart, but I had to do it eventually. No way in hell I am getting rid of my bike. I'm hooked already lol.

@KnowYourRights (what the hell is your name by the way?)

I get what you mean about being late everywhere. I had 2 women roll their windows down to ask about the bike, as well a few people walking through intersections. It was pretty cool.

Last edited:

dron

Reaction score
I'm really glad you decided to keep it.
Remember to enjoy the first rides. Nothing beats the feeling of overwinning your fear. Especially not when you're on a f***ing motorbike.
Try to keep some of that fear and respect in you. I think it will keep you safe.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score

I said a prayer and took her out on the street for the first time today. Drove around for about thirty minutes in rush hour traffic. Not very smart, but I had to do it eventually. No way in hell I am getting rid of my bike. I'm hooked already lol.

@KnowYourRights (what the hell is your name by the way?)

I get what you mean about being late everywhere. I had 2 women roll their windows down to ask about the bike, as well a few people walking through intersections. It was pretty cool.

Paul is the name.

You'll conquer the fear. No problem. The problem is letting yourself slip into auto-pilot. Always be aware...always. That's why riding is so rad, your brain is on high-alert. You're constantly assessing your immediate situation, planning escape routes, anticipating cars and what's coming up. You have no time to daze or worry about work or other problems. You're are totally in the moment. It's the best feeling.

Enjoy those first rides. I remember when my wife had come back from her first solo ride--on a Vespa, but still--with that ****-eating grin that only two-wheels can give you. I still get that grin, but not quite as often.

And the attention you get from riding an old bike is the best. I get the squids giving me the thumbs-up, people waving, and the old-timers giving me their "I had a x_____X back in the '60s!" stories. It's great.

Last edited:

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my scooter insured today and tomorrow, I'm gonna get plated up.

Any recommendation for gloves?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Due to our SUV breaking down, I am likely going to be giving my car to my wife and getting myself a scooter or a motorcycle.

I know that I could get a scooter for under $1,000 but I'm concerned about lack of power and am thinking about getting a bike.

Any suggestions on what I could get for $2,000 or less.

I take public transit back and forth to work, so this is really just for going to the gym, grocery store and out to dinner once in a while. Although I wouldn't mind riding from Sacramento down to SF at times as well.

Thoughts?

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Due to our SUV breaking down, I am likely going to be giving my car to my wife and getting myself a scooter or a motorcycle.
I know that I could get a scooter for under $1,000 but I'm concerned about lack of power and am thinking about getting a bike.
Any suggestions on what I could get for $2,000 or less.
I take public transit back and forth to work, so this is really just for going to the gym, grocery store and out to dinner once in a while. Although I wouldn't mind riding from Sacramento down to SF at times as well.
Thoughts?

Greatest bike every made

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is it and how much does it cost?

Honda Super Cub. The Cub/Super Cub probably has the highest production numbers of any vehicle; Honda has made over 60 million of them.

Sorry I didn't realise but it seems you can't buy a new one in the U.S. You can however buy a new Symba which looks pretty good, it's a Taiwanese knock off (the company Sym used to make Cubs under licence from Honda) Probably goes for about 2.5K in the States new.

Honda sold Cubs in the States until the mid 80s and I believe that they still have a following there so you might be able to pick an old one in well maintained condition reasonably cheaply. They really are great bikes and sound like just what you are after. Other companies make similar bikes that are also good but not sure if they sell in the States, Yamaha's version is called a 'Mate'. In my opinion the basic design is far better than any of the newer small wheeled scooters.

I wouldn't take one on a freeway and if you are going to be riding on any multi lane roads then make sure you get at least a 90cc version, I think the Symba is 100cc. The 50 cc versions are fine for suburban streets but that's about it.

When I was a kid in Australia we called them posty bikes because the mailman allways rode one. Also newspaper delivery and even pizza delivery guys commonly used them. They are pretty indestructable if you don't "cane the **** outta them".

Last edited:

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In most states would the Symba be considered a motorcycle, thus the rider requiring a motorcycle license to drive it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads