Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. BrandDC

BrandDC New Member

I have a 2005 and a 2010 Yamaha R1. I pretty much stick to Dainese gear and Shoei X-series (11 and 12) helmets. I have a few Alpinestars and Rev'it jackets (and a Spidi) but Dainese is a better fit for me and best quality so far. :slayer:

2. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

3. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

If money is no object, Lewis is it. Heritage. Style. But pricey. I got my Lewis years ago before they "adjusted" their global pricing.
    http://lewisleathers.com/

Or closer to home, get yourself a Schott Perfecto or the 644 cafe. I have the 644. Nice fit.
    http://www.schottnyc.com/products/lifestyle/motorcycle

For pants, get yourself some leather jeans (Schott and Lewis make those, too). Or just wear your jeans.

For boots, you won't find a nicer, longer-lasting pair than Wesco (http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/home.asp). Opt for the Jobmaster (lace-up) or the Boss (engineer). I have both. My engineers have lasted years without a single minute of care from me. I'm about to mail them back to Wesco to have them resoled. Again, they're pricey (~$400), but these are real boots for the rest of your life. If Wesco's are too rich for your blood, check out the 699 logger boot from Red Wing.

4. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I wore Schott and Vanson but the next time I buy gear I think I'll try textile. The "old fashioned" style of leather (Brando jackets, cafe jackets, etc) doesn't keep out the weather and doesn't have as good of a fit as textile (unless you're getting sports bike stuff).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

5. KnowYourRights

I don't know, man. The thought of nylon heating up and melting into my skin whilst sliding over pavement doesn't sound to appealing.

It's all about fit. Motorcycle jackets are supposed to fit snug to keep out the weather. Don't buy your moto jacket the way you'd buy a casual jacket. I made that mistake once. Bought a jacket that fit fine walking around, but on the bike, it was a disaster. When you're trying on your new leather, "assume the position." The riding position for your particular bike. My aforementioned ill-fitting jacket would create this big mono-boob in the front the second I reached for the handlebars...and that created all sorts of places for the cold air to creep in.

When I got my Lewis, it felt odd because the waist was so much higher than, say, my Dickies jacket. But once I was on the bike, it was perfect. No bulging or tenting.

6. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

Love some of those schott jackets. Very nice compared to the logo happy jackets on all the other sites I looked at. Only thing is the protection looks pretty weak. Other jeackets I looked at had armor and such. Would the cafe 664 provide adequate protection in a wreck? I want a nice looking jacket, but safety is also big for me being a brand new rider.

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/montana-jacket.asp

This is a pretty nice jacket with pockets for armor.

Or you could just wear armor underneath your jacket...

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

9. KnowYourRights

It's all about your comfort level. Some will argue that more protection = better. Some with say that when that car crosses the yellow and hits you head on, armor doesn't matter. Wear what you're comfortable riding in. Full face, open face, armor, no armor, leather, textile. Just make sure it fits snug, is of good quality, and doesn't restrict your movement.

I wear a Davida Speedster, my Lewis or Schott jacket, jeans, gloves, and heavy boots. It's what I'm comfortable riding in. I haze my buddies who ride in Converse...while I'm wearing a non-DOT open-face helmet. Wear what you like.

10. KnowYourRights

Paul's a character. See him at the shop on occasion.

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Paul has joined us at a few San Francisco meetups for Styleforum. Good guy and always interesting to talk to.

12. otc

otc Senior member

I keep saying I want one of these...but I kind of want to see one first or have some reviews from an SF perspective. The reviews I have seen so far have been great...but they have all been from fat old men.

Right now, I have one of these belstaff zodiac jackets:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BELSTAF...parel_Merchandise&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae42fbd89
    the ebay seller is some actual motorcycle shop out west and they have a bunch of sizes/colors and the price is right (same jacket is 140 on the BMG site).

I called them because I wanted a size/color that wasn't posted on ebay at the time (they said they didn't list their full inventory) and over the phone they only charged me actual shipping instead of the inflated $20 ebay price.

The shoulder/elbow armor is real (although I can't vouch for how useful it is) while the back armor is *not* actual armor. On the ebay listing they call it armor, but over at BMG, they just say it is a piece of scrap foam that is used as a a template to ensure that there is enough space to install your own back armor.

13. KnowYourRights

A stylish dude to be sure. I was tempted to buy his Atlas.

14. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

15. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member