• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the look alot of the first one, although am concerned about the "geometry" issues you mentioned. Is it possible for me to change the front end to make it flatter?

Narrowed it down to these two. Let me know which one you think is a better choice.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/2846986278.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/2847322687.html

The fork tube would have to be cut off the frame and welded back on at a different angle. The angle it is attached to on the frame determines the critical geometric parameters of the rake and trail that affect how the bike handles and dives during braking. In other words one needs to know what one is doing in regards to geometry and formulas when changing the angle of the fork tube so as not to mess up the bikes handling. Probably not worth the cost or trouble unless you're a welder and know what your doing.

The CL350 seems nice enough. I'm not that familiar with the CL model, its a two cylinder rather than a four cylinder like the CB models. I liked the CB's you showed in your earlier posts rather than this one. The ad is kinda of sparse and doesn't give many details about the condition. If you can get one of the CB's or the Yamaha within your budget I think you would be happier in the long run with one of those rather than the CL350. But on the face of it I see nothing wrong with the CL and it would make a good first bike.

Try and get more info on the CL350. You know my concern regarding the front fork geometry of the Yamaha however I like how its been cafe'd out. Is it possible to ride the Yamaha before you buy and see how it handles?

Last edited:

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congradulations! That is a sharp looking bike, I like it. A rebuilt engine, cool style, you got a good deal.

Xhale12

Reaction score
Thanks. More power than the others, but still not overwhelming (at least I hope not) ;). Now all I have to do is figure out how the hell to get it here. The guy lives an hour away and does not have a truck. Nor do I.... Suggestions? No way in hell im riding it back.

Xhale12

Reaction score
Im having people on a motorcycle forum calling me "idiotic" for getting that bike. They are saying driving a bike with that much power as a starter bike is suicide. What do you guys think? I was not under the impression it was.

dron

Reaction score
you'll be fine.
you can take it somewhere empty once in a while to get to know it.

get rid of the bicycle handlebar tape though. that was a mistake.

Kookz

Reaction score

Im having people on a motorcycle forum calling me "idiotic" for getting that bike. They are saying driving a bike with that much power as a starter bike is suicide. What do you guys think? I was not under the impression it was. 

"That much power"? Surely they are just having fun/teasing you.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't know what they are talking about. It's a 32 year old, air cooled, carburated twin that makes about 42 hp at the rear wheel. It's not a modern water cooled, EFI, mega horsepower crotch rocket.
Tell them to SFU!

Last edited:

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bullshit. If you love the bike then it's perfect. The first bike I ever owned was a YZFR1 (only bought it to re-sell it / only had it for a couple of months) and then the first real bike I owned was a 1300. I LOVED it and it fit me perfectly.

Xhale12

Reaction score
What do you guys wear when riding?

Since this is a styleforum..... any recomendations on "decent" looking gear? Would wearing a TOJ leather be adequate up top? I already bought a good helmet.

What about pants? Having a hard time finding any that don't look horrific.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you guys wear when riding?

Since this is a styleforum..... any recomendations on "decent" looking gear? Would wearing a TOJ leather be adequate up top? I already bought a good helmet.

What about pants? Having a hard time finding any that don't look horrific. 

I usually wear Dainese stuff that is on the lesser side of branding... How thick is the TOJ leather? Do you care about armor? All that sort of thing plays a big role.

For pants, it is pretty much suck. You can get some kevlar lined stuff, but it is all for fat asses. eSquad makes some cool looking jeans but seems to only be available in France. A friend of mine just wears women's motorcycle jeans which pretty much fit like skinnier men's jeans. I just suck it up and wear some nylon pants over my jeans or skip the pants.

Or you could just pick up this beauty:

Boots are another pain ********** thing to find decent ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads