Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Yep calling some cocksucker who has to hang out in with a big gang of other cocksuckers to feel tough a chick is an insult to chicks everywhere.

2. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

It wasn't an insult. I just can't tell one sport bike from another.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. KnowYourRights

4. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

I cant find any of these for 3k. All are selling on ebay for over 6k.

5. KnowYourRights

$6K is way too much for any of the bikes I listed. Keep an eye on your local Craigslist. Where are you?

You should be able to get a running late-'70s TR7 (or even a Bonnie) for $3000-$3500. Running. And in decent shape (but not a show bike).

The T100R Daytonas should fetch anywhere from $2700 to $3500, again, running well but a little rough looking.

The BSA A65 might be hard to come by for the price you have in mind. However, a '71 oil-in-frame BSA should be easy to find for around $3000.

The deals are out there. If it's what you really want, just wait it out.

If you decide to go '70s Japanese, please don't pay more than $2000 for a bike...and it better be pristine for that money. No offense to the vintage Japanese owners here, but there's quite the bubble going on right now. Maybe that's what's pushing Brit prices up as well.

6. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

Im in LA. Ill check out craigslist. Thanks.

7. KnowYourRights

LA? Los Angeles? Louisiana?

If it's the former, contact Tim at Trophy Motorcycles (http://www.trophymotorcycles.com) in San Diego. Tell him Paul from Ton Up Club NorCal sent you. Let him know your price and what you're looking for. Tim is a no-BS, stand-up guy, and a good friend.

For something closer to home, try Justin at Glory (http://www.glorysales.com). Dude's connected.

Having one of these guys helping you find a bike is a lot easier than the randomness of craigslist, especially if you don't know what you're looking at. Still, I've found all of my bikes on craigs, so it's still worth looking.

good luck!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Yeah, it takes a while to get used to the look of the springer seat on a bike with shocks but fuck me, there is so little travel in those shocks that the springs on the seat are almost a necessity to allow for riding this thing more than an hour at a time. I ride this bike a good bit, so the slightly worse aesthetics of the sprung seat are more than made up for by not feeling like I need a chiropractor after a few hundred miles. This particular seat is from the HD parts catalog. If you like I can send you the part number.

Want to see that Nightster with the Roland Sands installed. That must look fine.

Thinking of swapping out my tires for whitewalls, probably only other mod I will do near term.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

All riceburner rookie teh same?

10. KnowYourRights

No, all sport bikes look the same.

Creativity seems to be in limited supply. Maybe that's why people keep building the same fucking Tritons and Benji-wannabe CBs and hardtail Triumph bobbers over and over and over again.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  11. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

SR400

Not rook same but are same.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  12. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

13. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

As far a CB450cc as a first bike I think it would be good. Not too much power for a beginner but still a fun bike. As far as the condition of this particular bike, I have a few concerns. The bike has a lot of miles on it but that is not a deal breaker if it is mechanically sound. The seller says it doesn't run because the carbs haven't been adjusted. So why not adjust them and sell the bike in running condition? I would want to be sure the engine is sound and doesn't have any major issues before I bought it. I would also want to be sure other components such as brakes, wheels, frame etc. were rust free and in good shape. Given the age of the bike I'm sure some parts may need to be replaced but if it was in running order you could do this over time. This is also a desirable bike for customizing into a cafe racer or return it to original condition. Depending on what needs to be fixed and getting it at a good price it would be a good fixer upper or custom if that is what you want to do. If you're looking for something to start riding without having to put much work into I would keep looking.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  14. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

Thanks john. Im going to keep looking and stay way from that one. Here are a few others I found. Like any of these? I have 3k to spend.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/2847322687.html
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...8035&sspagename=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_8151wt_1165
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...2055&sspagename=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_1462wt_1165
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...91643&sspagename=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_500wt_1182
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/2846986278.html

I want a cafe racer. Would be nice to buy one straight up but I can also just customize it also. Now with cafe racers, can you ride them on the freeway? I live in LA. Should I plan on only using a bike like that on the side streets?

15. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

Some quick thoughts. They all seem to be in good shape and mechanically sound. The first one has low mileage and has been given a cafe racer treatment which is cool, however that model was originally meant to be a quasi chopper style bike, i.e. stepped chopper seat, slightly raked front end. It looks cool but I don't think the front end geometry will make the bike very flickable in the twisties or handle corners like a cafe racer should. But since this will be your first bike that may not matter to you. It just looks a little incongruous to my eye but It still looks cool and I think for this price, condition, and as a first bike it would be good. Also, the bit about the rear shock gives me a little concern. How can it still be ridden if the rear shock just needs to be "placed back in"? Not sure what to make about that.

The CB350 from seller hearseboy looks to be in good original shape with low miles and no reserve. If you can get it at a good price I think it would also be good.

The '75 CB from 730richa looks great. All redone with an upgraded motor which is still not too much power for a beginner. His reserve is $5000 which I think will probably be met and would put you over your budget. I like this one a lot.

The last one, a CB360T, looks to be in great shape, has low mileage, and is very clean. Not sure what his reserve is but if you can get it within your budget I think it would be very good. All of these bikes would be ideal for a beginner and all look to be in very good to great shape. You couldn't go wrong with any of them; it's just a matter of price and which tickles you fancy more. Good luck.