Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. hayzum

hayzum Senior member

Bad move. I wish I had one in high school, bet it must have been great having the RD as a teenager!

That is not original paint, is it? I have one in red and one in blue both as they were from the factory.

I am on the hunt for the Daytona Special and a TZ750 for a friend who has sixteen RD350's, don't ask why he needs sixteen.

Paint options from the factory.
    [ATTACHMENT=1578]show_image.jpg (83k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

2. Salad

Salad Senior member

Yes, original paint for a 1978 RD400, at least in the US. It was the only color available in 1978 and the '78 was the only year they did the seat with the body molding at the rear. 76-77 was different.
    Looking at the chart you attached, it's the second column from the left, 3rd from top.

I'm going to take my tins off, find a different set, get a Laguna seat, and do a yellow/black power bar paint job like a Kenny Roberts TZ. That's the plan anyway.

3. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Does anyone drive/ride a motorbike daily, even as only transportation? Is this doable in Florida, hot days and evening rains?

I been thinking of getting a bike on and off. Really considering it now, to try and save money through college. I would do all the basic maintenance myself to save a penny...

Motorbikes I am considering in specific order.

Vespa GTV 300 (Cheap to insure, stylish)
    Triumph Bonneville
    BMW G650GS (Durable/Reliable)
    Ducati Monster 796/ABS
    Honda CBR/250--->Ducati 848

I like the style of Ducati's and would love to own one. But just don't see any comfort at all for daily abuse. The Vespa looks perfect with tons of storage. I also like the fact it has plenty of power for US roads and won't feel like I am waisting a perfectly good bike.

~Kurt

4. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I used to ride a bike every day (an hour each way in Pennsylvania) and after doing it for a while I feel like to do it successfully and happily one needs a bagger and ALL of the proper gear. Either that or a 20 minute short commute.

5. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

By full baggier, do you mean those massive Harley's? I can't see riding one of those. If I was to get a bike, it would be for around town 30 minute commutes. 1-2 twice a month I would head over to Orlando... But that's where the Vespa maybe a bit iffy on the interstate.

~Kurt

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

If it were me, I'd buy the Bonneville. You can add braces for saddlebags for long trips. No contest IMO.

7. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I agree with you on this one. Nothing tortures my soul quite so much as seeing one of those massive fucking Road Kings go down the highway with their full farings and trunks and saddlebags. Ugly as sin.

8. VonLehndorff

VonLehndorff Senior member

Rode a BMW R100RS for 200,000 miles. Absolute Love. Winter/Summer. Raced a Ducati F1 750. Ohhh Yeah! Ducati 999. mmmmm. Ducati Monster. Great street ripper. Tried to buy a Harley Road King, thinking cruising comfort. Ever park one of those things? Requires advance planning and handles like a Peterbuilt. Having a builder fabricate a Harley cafe-racer ( reference; Buell, 50/60s Triumph/Norton). Go to a Ducati dealer, set up a chair alongside one and just scan the individual parts. You'll fall in Love. Then ride it. Marriage made in Heaven.

9. VonLehndorff

BTW; if it doesn't fit in a tank bag, or rolled up on the pinion seat, leave it home. For you new riders: Ride with leathers, even when hot. Road rash is forever. Denim is a joke when sliding on asphalt, might as well be naked. My thick race leathers ripped down to skin in an 80mph race slide, ripped skin lasted months. Ride with your Brain

10. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

I endorse this post.

11. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

Also this one.

12. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

As well as this one.

13. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Yeah, that's not bad at all. You can put a small amount on a smaller bike. When I would commute daily for an hour I'd run in to everything; thunderstorms (rain suit), needed space for a gym bag, packed lunch, extra cold weather at night, etc...

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Had the cycle bug very bad for the last couple of weeks. Still waiting for another few years but just doing more comparisons. That Kaw Concours 1400cc just seems like a very sweet bike for 15k.

15. VonLehndorff

Oh Boy. Vespa on the interstate? Remember that guy who rode his lawn tractor across country to visit his brother? At least he stayed in the breakdown lane.