1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

This image has made it necessary for me to purchase a motorcycle sometime in the near future. This Triumph has the perfect look for me but unfortunately, it appears to be out of my price range. So my questions are: is there a term for this particular style of motorcycle? And also, are there any cheaper cycles that have looks similar to this one?
    Cafe Racer... You could probably get an older used Triumph or a Honda knockoff. I think M@t has fixed up a couple of those... Que M@t in 3... 2... 1...

2. kever

kever Senior member

This image has made it necessary for me to purchase a motorcycle sometime in the near future. This Triumph has the perfect look for me but unfortunately, it appears to be out of my price range.

So my questions are: is there a term for this particular style of motorcycle? And also, are there any cheaper cycles that have looks similar to this one?

Check out the Kawasaki w650. I think they are a bit rare, but they'll be cheaper then a new Trump and look really similar.

3. Matt

Matt Senior member

Que M@t in 3... 2... 1...
    you rang? Ive done a bunch of bikes here. Cafe racer style, only really one though, a 1967 Suzuki 50cc 2 stroke (changed the engine out to a 150 4 stroke) which is like a mini-cafe bike. I won awards for that one, I was the first person in the country to do one up, everyone laughed at me...now there is a club for them. Weird. [​IMG] Upthread there are shots of a Vietnamese made 'Bonus 125' that I did and sold, it came out ok for what it is. I see the guy that bought it semi-regularly, he seems happy enough with it. I am about to do another Vespa once my friend confirms he can do the color I want, done a couple of Honda Chaly monkey bikes cos we race those cross country, as well as a really sexy Kawasaki 150 2 stroke that is unfortunately haunted. Sick of fixing that thing.

4. Nil

Nil Senior member

Thank you all very much. I see another dangerously expensive hobby in my future.

5. j

j Senior member Admin

This image has made it necessary for me to purchase a motorcycle sometime in the near future. This Triumph has the perfect look for me but unfortunately, it appears to be out of my price range. So my questions are: is there a term for this particular style of motorcycle? And also, are there any cheaper cycles that have looks similar to this one?
    Cafe Racer... You could probably get an older used Triumph or a Honda knockoff. I think M@t has fixed up a couple of those... Que M@t in 3... 2... 1...
    Technically the Triumph Bonneville isn't much of a cafe bike, though it is definitely easy to make it into one (by chopping the fenders down, maybe doing a solo seat with cowl, and putting clipon handlebars and bar end mirror(s)). It's really more of a 70s-80s style "standard" bike which I guess just means all-around, all-purpose unfaired and upright bike. If you like those but want cheaper, you should look into the Honda CB series from the 70s - CB350, 450, 550, 650? I think, 750. Some were available in a two cylinder and a four cylinder version. The twos would be a little easier to work on and a little more torquey (more usable in lower RPM range) whereas the fours have slightly higher maintenance but more power, and the CB 750 Four is one of the more common ones around. There is also the possibility (scroll back a few pages) of taking a GL 1000 original Goldwing that came with the awful gigantic fairing, and taking the fairing completely off and doing the cafe thing to it, or just leaving it more of a standard, and having a very powerful, fun, reliable bike. Or, just look for a used Bonneville (the '00s one not the '70s one), there are a lot around for decent prices. They seem like decent bikes to me (and look awesome) but are slightly too faithful to the old style and (especially) technology for my taste.
    Who knows about BMWs? After getting caught in the rain for the MILLIONTH FUCKING TIME without bags and all of my gear (and for a couple of other reasons), I'm thinking about maybe a sport tourer for my next bike. Honda's ST1300 or BMW's R1200 RT or the R1200 GS. I use my bike a lot for commuting and I like to ride in all kinds of weather (except for below freezing unless it's completely dry). I also would like a small windsheild, bags, the whole package. I know that I could put bags on my cruiser and whatnot but I'm thinking I'd rather get a bike more suited for commuting and riding. Anyone have either of the BMWs or the Honda that I mentioned? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I don't have any of them but my stepdad did have an ST1100 which is very similar to the 1300. My input is that all are known to be awesome bikes for their purposes, but all are big and heavy and depending on what you will be doing, might be less versatile and/or fun than other options. For example, look at the BMW F800 series that just came out with the ST and a GS version (though I think they call it the GS 650 for some reason still). Parallel twin Rotax engine in a midweight size that most people seem to really like - in between the very lean and nimble F650GS and the heavy duty but plain heavy 1200GS. I definitely wouldn't discourage anyone from any of those bikes - the two STs are currently used as police motorcyles around here (i.e. very reliable, comfortable and "safe"), and the GS is renowned for its ability to go anywhere and do anything (assuming you can pick it up when you drop it). Just saying, consider whether you want/ need a really big (heavy) bike. And also, if you like the dual sport thing, look into the Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom which pretty much everyone seems to love. A little less GS than the GS but does all around very well and has tons of accessory/bag options. And much cheaper.

6. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

This image has made it necessary for me to purchase a motorcycle sometime in the near future. This Triumph has the perfect look for me but unfortunately, it appears to be out of my price range.

So my questions are: is there a term for this particular style of motorcycle? And also, are there any cheaper cycles that have looks similar to this one?

They're alot more reliable than when I had one in the '80s. Mine ran well but was a serious leaker. There is a japanese bike that looks similar ( Kawasaki?) don't know how much cheaper it is. You also could look used.

7. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Actually, looks-wise the Sport 1000 is badderass-looking than the GT 1000: [​IMG] The mirrors on the GT1k are more of a period detail than anything, but they are much more functional than low/barend mirrors.
    scary looking thing: [​IMG] look at how the exhaust is mounted (essentially backwards) presumably because of the unusual way the engine is positioned...
    I remember Bimota did so awsome bikes based on the 1st gen Genesis engies. 150bhp+
    Accompanied my buddy who bought this scooter over the weekend. Looks like a mountain bike with a lawn mower motor, but still better than any Asian scooter I've seen around here. Sachs MadAss [​IMG]
    Sachs got a couple of design prizes for that, i think RedDot was one. A chinese company got caught and fined for making an exact replica. apparently you cant sue Chinese manufacturers until you have production cacilities in China and produse for that market.
    New Vincent Black Shadow: [​IMG] www.vincentmotors.com
    They are sweet, any one have seen anny bikes from these guys live? [​IMG] Confederate, not exited about the engines. but the consepts are beautifull.
    Can I live with this color? I think I can get a decent deal if I don't have to have the black one. With tail cowl (included): [​IMG]
    Matchless used to make great bikes as well. [​IMG]
    When I first glanced through the posts i thought of MotoMorini They also had some amazing race bikes: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2342/...3bda3f.jpg?v=0
    It's one of these two: [​IMG]
    Like the timing belt cover on this, more maintenance though ... Looks like you got what you wanted J, congrats. Keep us posted on progress. I saw a nice MV augusta over easter, man I cant forget the sound. [​IMG]

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

WOW! Further proof that we are living in the golden age of motorcycles. Never before have so many good looking, good performing bikes been available at attainable prices.

I could just park this one in my office and stare at it as a piece of sculpture.

[​IMG]

9. j

j Senior member Admin

The Paul Smart replica version from '06 seems to be the sculpture of choice for lots of guys who love to look at it but barely ride it. You can still find plenty of them with 0-1000 miles. Admittedly it is not very comfortable, but kind of sad that so many just sit there.

10. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I saw a nice MV augusta over easter, man I cant forget the sound.
    [​IMG]

I see this bike often, I love the look. Speaking of MV Augusta, did you guys catch the scene in Dark Knight where Bruce Wayne jumps on an F4? Nice product placement.

11. speedster.8

J. Fast show is excelent!

"Suit you sir"

"This week ive been mainly eating chipolatas"

12. speedster.8

I see this bike often, I love the look.
    Yea the Brutale is nice, they are launching a "new version" shortly AKA BESTIALE[​IMG] http://www.motoblog.it/galleria/mv-b...n-produzione/1 apperently ready for production. [​IMG] Reminds me slightly of s "supeermotard", you know the Husaberg offroad kind with tightened suspention & road tyres an massive brakes. They use them on fast tight gocartcourses. Like this tamed group tested @ you tube Did anny of you read this tidbit of news: MV Agusta, Italy's legendary motorcycle maker that dominated international racing from the late Fifties to the mid-Seventies, has been bought by the Harley-Davidson group. The deal, announced yesterday, gives the Americans total ownership of the company for only €70 million (£56 million), including debts of about €45 million. http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4319192.ece

13. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Technically the Triumph Bonneville isn't much of a cafe bike, though it is definitely easy to make it into one (by chopping the fenders down, maybe doing a solo seat with cowl, and putting clipon handlebars and bar end mirror(s)). It's really more of a 70s-80s style "standard" bike which I guess just means all-around, all-purpose unfaired and upright bike.

If you like those but want cheaper, you should look into the Honda CB series from the 70s.

Don't know how I missed this. J is right; it's reminiscient of the old Brit bikes and then the Japanese standards of the 70's and up. I've built a few cafes from the old Jap standards, and it's not that hard and can produce a very nice bike for little money. Most of the cafe conversions are done on Honda CB's, but it can be done with virtually any standard bike from that era - Suzuki GS, the Kawasaki KZ, the Yamaha XS, etc. I standardized on the Suzuki GS's since they are in lower demand compared to the Hondas, and therefore end up being cheaper but with more power.

From standard:

[​IMG]

To cafe:

[​IMG]

Reminds me slightly of s "supeermotard", you know the Husaberg offroad kind with tightened suspention & road tyres an massive brakes. They use them on fast tight gocartcourses.
    Like this tamed group tested @ you tube

Good god, I want one of those! They are insane in the tight corners. I live fairly close to the Tail of the Dragon; try searching or 'motard tail of the dragon' in Youtube and see what they can do.

14. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

Does anyone know what motorcycle was used in the first "Tomb Raider" movÃe (w. Jolie). I really liked that.

HD esp. the older chunkier ones are ugly. I like some by Ducatti though...the whole "rocker" motorcycle aesthetic (born to b wild and all that shit) I find disgusting and unaesthetic.

15. j

j Senior member Admin

I think I really want a KTM 950 Super Enduro R. [​IMG]

16. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

My new object of lust...

Triumph is coming out with a 50th Anniversary Bonneville next summer. Gives me a year to get ready, make a bunch of money and buy one [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Matt

Matt Senior member

Don't know how I missed this. J is right; it's reminiscient of the old Brit bikes and then the Japanese standards of the 70's and up. I've built a few cafes from the old Jap standards, and it's not that hard and can produce a very nice bike for little money. Most of the cafe conversions are done on Honda CB's, but it can be done with virtually any standard bike from that era - Suzuki GS, the Kawasaki KZ, the Yamaha XS, etc. I standardized on the Suzuki GS's since they are in lower demand compared to the Hondas, and therefore end up being cheaper but with more power. From standard: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...da-cb750-1.jpg To cafe: http://thekneeslider.com/images/cb750cafe2.jpg .
    Is this one of yours? Very very nice work

18. speedster.8

I remember seeing a nice triton some years ago, manx front etc. Beautifull. A Norvin like this woul be nice to ... [​IMG] Now on more a low maintenace project, do any of you have any experience or thoughts of the SRX 6? Had a XT600 and consequently a Doninator. Think im ready to get a bike again. [​IMG]

19. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Is this one of yours? Very very nice work

Oh god no! Haha, it is very good work, but it's built by a renowned cafe racer builder named 'Carpy' :

http://www.cb750cafe.com/

I use that image whenever I describe a cafe to someone because it really gets the idea across.

20. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think I really want a KTM 950 Super Enduro R.

[​IMG]

What you going to use it for?