Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

????

[​IMG]

2. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Doesn't look that wintery, yet. It might feel that way, dressed like that.:satisfied: What's the temperature around there?

Nice bike, by the way.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Temps today were in the high 60s. Forecast is for low to mid 40s by the weekend. That picture I posted was actually taken around the start of November IIRC, but was wearing the same jacket as I am in the picture..

4. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I was able to get one last ride in before the end of the riding season. Unfortunately I lost my license plate somehow. =(

5. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

lately I've been obsessing over old bikes, specifically the Norton big four and the BMW r25. omfg I love the look of old bikes.

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Cool little read over here on the bike(s) used in the new Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie.

7. otc

otc Senior member

That's pretty cool

Reminds me...I need to get my bike stored up for the winter...It is now too cold for it to start and it is damn hard to push it around because the oil has so much resistance at this temperature.

8. Mbogo

Mbogo Senior member

Don't be insulted if you know this already...

As far as winterizing, the most important thing IMO is Fuel Stabilizer (Sta-Bil) in non-ethanol gas. I hear more people complain about gummed-up fuel systems than anything else with bikes. Non-ethanol gas can be really hard to find. Try a marinia in a pinch, or avgas if desperate.

After that, in order of priority:

change oil/filter (I have skipped this on a bike that I have only ridden 100 miles during the season);
    squirt a little oil into the spark plug holes and pull the engine through a rev or two;
    store it someplace dry, with a sheet or other soft cloth over it;
    disconnect battery (but I don't bother to remove or trickle-charge it).

I have found that with all the small gas engines that I have accumulated in various vehicles and yard implements over the years, that stable fuel makes the biggest difference in the engines' happiness.

David

9. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I really, really miss my MTS1200S... Can't justify a new Panigale because I travel for work mostly and live in NYC.

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I agree, StaBil is probably the most important of all the steps you outlined above. I usually skip the step of putting oil into the spark plug sockets, but then again, I store my bikes in early December and usually have them out again by mid to late March. I also change oil/filter and do a really thorough check of all the bolts, belt/chain, tires, and so on before I start the next season. It'll be very difficult finding non-ethanol gas these days, but I've stored my bikes with 10% ethanol and have never had any problems, yet. There's talk about allowing service stations to move to 15% ethanol as well, which would really, REALLY piss me off. I haven't found pure gasoline in months. Also, not starting the engine for a few minutes in the winter "just to heat it up and get the fluids moving", that's a sure fire way to introduce condensation into your fuel lines.

11. Mbogo

Mbogo Senior member

I sometimes skip the oil in the cylinders thing too, on small engines. On my boat I always fog the cylinders because it's a cast iron block and it gets stored for 8 months. I don't know, but should, if the cylinders on bike engines have iron or steel liners or not. I think they do.

The ethanol thing makes me crazy. The 15% proposal is a nightmare. Stabil makes a different product for ethanol gas, but even they sound like they're dubious about leaving it in an engine for a long time.

David

12. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Hit up the Toronto Motorcycle show last night and it was great to see some of these bikes in the flesh.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Thanks, I have stabil in the tank but it was too cold get her started so I think I will have to drain the float bowls and let them re-fill before I store it (I put the carbs back on the bike after putting stabil in the tank...but doubt it really got mixed up well before the bowls filled.

I changed the oil in the late summer right before I broke my hand so I really haven't put more than a tank of gas through it...I'll just change it when I pull it out for the summer.

Was planning to skip the trickle-charge and just give it a full charge when I take it out again.

What kind of oil would I want to put in the spark plug oils? Pretty much all I have around that is appropriate is motor-oil. Will be storing it indoors (if can get it in...) in a storage room in my building...it doesn't stay warm in there but I think they must keep it above freezing.

14. Mbogo

Mbogo Senior member

OTC:

You definitely need to get the stabilized gas through the system. In the tank, all it will do is keep the gas in the tank fresh. Where you really need the protection is the gas in the carbs (or injection system). That's where it gums up and clogs your metering jets and other little passages. Nightmare.

If you can run the engine, I think that's the only way to be sure you've gotten the stabilized gas all through the fuel system. If your choke is working, you should be able to easily get it started, unless it's 0 degrees or something outside. Don't use ether.

Regular motor oil in the cylinders will work fine, the same stuff you put in its crankcase, but you can also buy a spray can of fogging oil that might spread it around in the cylinder better. Otherwise, just a couple big globs of motor oil from an old fashioned mechanics' oil can, turn the engine over with the starter just for a second to get the oil spread around the cylinder.

Disconnect the battery in case you have a really really slow drain. If a battery gets completely discharged and then freezes, that will kill it.

David

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011