Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

So, I bought it with about 7500 miles on it. It came with the bags, the Jardine exhaust, and the frame pucks. It was running lean, so I added the K&N airfilter and a Buell racing chip. The dealer told me that "they couldn't tune it right with the stock computer." I knew this was BS, because they could fix the air/fuel mixture with the stock computer, but with the race chip,I can get the cable and a program to tune just about any parameter I want (unlike with the stock chip which is basically limited to fuel/air mixture).

I really like it though. I haven't put any highway miles on it though. I like the shorter body, and how comfortable it is for driving around town. Another bonus is that it isn't too heavy for me to pick up if it comes to that. The exhaust gives it a really nice sound without being overly loud or obnoxious too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

2. Sawdust

Sawdust Active Member

Gorgeous bike.... didn't Norton recently come back?

3. Mbogo

Mbogo Senior member

Congratulations on the cool bike.

I just picked up a Buell myself. An older M2 Cyclone. It will replace a really sweet classic UJM, which can't begin to compare to the Buell.

It's such an amazing bike. Just starting it up, when it shudders and pounds and throbs. It's this weird combination of pre-historic and super high-tech, and it just works really well. I go out into the garage at night sometimes just to look at it for a minute, or use it for little errands and freeze my ass off, just to get that big twin rush for a few minutes.

Be careful with it though. I have owned some performance bikes, but this is a different animal. It is so solid and confident that it has lured me into turns a lot hotter than I should have, and recently I had the back end slide out and I almost lost it. The torque can be dangerous in a turn. If you goose the gas a little that rear tire will break free.

Badweatherbikers is a great forum for all Buells. And Americansportbike is a great place for parts (which are starting to get hard to find. Thanks, Harley. MF'ers.)

Enjoy!

David

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

4. otc

otc Senior member

finally got the time to pull my carbs again but I couldn't get it running.

Turns out that maybe it wasn't a cleaning issue...one of the replacement diaphragms had come unseated and slid halfway down the slide so the needle could never drop all of hte way (which explains why it would feel right on a hard pull but was completely screwed at low rpm). I gave it a quick cleaning but not a full strip down since it doesn't seem like the previous cleaning 20 miles ago was really at issue.

I couldn't get it to start though :( It was hard to start after I cleaned the carbs the first time (and after the first start/warm up, it started great) but I think today was just too cold out (it was no more than 45 and really windy and the online consensus seems to be kz400s are not happy in the cold at all). I used a fully charged battery and put some work lights with 100W bulbs by the engine while I was working on it. It warmed the oil up enough that it was easier to roll around but still no-go on the start.

I tried to use a little starter fluid spray but it didn't do anything (although with this bike's airbox, I'm not quite sure how to do it). There were a few times where I could hear it ignite a couple of times at the tail end of my holding the starter down but it never caught and I was worried about holding the starter down for too long.

I was just going to ride it to make sure everything worked and put it away....so its not a huge deal, but it would be nice if I got an unseasonably warm day to get it running one last time this season. If it weren't for the cooling wind, I might have done ok today with the light bulbs.

5. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

David, you should start seeing parts again. Eric Buell has started Eric Buell Racing, and I know at least for the 1125s and the 2005 and newer lightnings/firebolts have parts available through them. In fact, they can even tune your computer based on your current configuration.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I actually like this, and I am no fan of sportbikes in general.. Nice..

7. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

In name only. The new "Nortons" share nothing but a name badge with the old ones.

8. Mbogo

Mbogo Senior member

Thanks. I like the function of "sportbikes", but most of them are so plastic-ey and over-the-top sci-fi looking that their looks turn me off. And I don't like "cruisers" at all- not the way they look, ride, or handle. And don't get me started on the whole Harley thing...

I like Buells because they are all function, no frills. And mine has a somewhat upright riding position which is easier on my back.

David

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

9. URALLMORONS

URALLMORONS Senior member

I have a 2008 Limited Edition Triumph Thruxton that I will be selling as I feel it's too nice and new to mod. This past week I picked up a 1982 XJ550 that started out as a full running bike and is not in pieces.

It will go cafe style. In two weeks I will take a trip up to Union, IL to framecrafters to dehoop/detab and rehoop the rear tail to lose the bitch seat .

Here are some pics on my tumblr for now.

www.theeabyss.tumblr.com

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I dunno man, some Harleys are badass. Case in point:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Mbogo

Mbogo Senior member

Yeah, that is pretty tough.

I don't have anything against Harley bikes per se. What gets under my skin are a lot of of the Harley guys, and the Harley company and the Harley branding and the Harley attitude...

I have not read the whole thread but am guessing this has already been covered.

David

12. eg1

eg1 Senior member

This.

But as I am discovering, it could be a regional thing.

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Yeah, I dunno. I have nothing against Harley Davidson for creating a successful brand and building a motorcycle that many people aspire to own. Seems like successful capitalism if you ask me. I mean, do you fault Marlboro, Ralph Lauren or BMW for doing the same thing? As to the attitude, I think as with tribalism in general, this shit feeds off of itself, and is more legend than reality in my mind.

14. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Nothing wrong with it, but all of those brands will have their detractors. It is what it is, eh?

15. Mbogo

Mbogo Senior member

You bring up interesting points, Gnatty8, except you mis-state my opinion. I never said I fault "Harley Davidson for creating a successful brand and building a motorcycle that many people aspire to own".

I fault them for being tacky.

I fault them for lacking imagination.

I fault them for begging for government intervention to beat down their Japanese competitors.

I fault them for buying up a world-class racing motorcycle company (Buell), and running it into the ground. Then, rather than sell it back to Eric Buell, who wanted to buy it back, they just shut it down, out of fear it might siphon off sales from Harley. As if.

I fault them for slapping their logo on EVERYTHING and selling it for triple what it would cost without the logo. I recently saw a plastic funnel in the HD dealership for $18!

It's not unethical or illegal. It's just gross and shameless. Motorcycles are one of those heart and soul things that you hope the company subscribes to at least a little, rather than trying to jack you every chance they get.

So just because they practice "successful capitalism" (of which I am a major cheerleader, BTW), doesn't mean I have to like them. I mean Abercrombie practices successful capitalism, and how much admiration do they get around here? OK, a low blow.

I know a few Harley guys, and they are good folks. I rode with them a couple times with my previous bike, a Kaw, and was expecting some inane teasing about it, but they were really cool. These guys love to ride, and they ride a lot, and hard (as long as the road doesn't get too curvy). But I've run into enough Harley guys that get this superior attitude, who won't acknowledge non-Harley guys, and who roar around with their mufflers off, pretending to be bad-asses, to get under my skin a bit. Sometimes it seems that EVERYBODY has a friggin' hog, but they still feel they are unique and special because of it.

It has all gotten a little tedious, is all.

David