Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

The Brembo MC is real pricey, I'd say buy it if you like the look. It certainly can be built for cheaper, but looks to be reliable and well sorted.

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Seems a little expensive to me, but then again, I don't have much experience in the older Japanese bikes, so I may be wrong.

3. otc

otc Senior member

Seems pricy from what I was looking at when I bought my bike.

That said, if it starts that reliably and has all of that work done nicely, it might be worth it. I bet the seller will go down on the price as well considering how late in the year it is....

4. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

WOW! That thing better have gold bullion under the seat!

$3,700 is outrageous for a late-'70s XS. Hell, it's outrageous for ANY year XS. Or any Japanese bike of that vintage.

$1,800 tops, maybe, and only if it's so clean you can eat off of it, has 20 miles on a FULL rebuild, etc. This bike doesn't seem to have any of this. I'd offer $1,500 after I'd ridden it and everything seemed fine. And who "spend 2 summers fixing instead of riding"? Really? It's an air-cooled twin, not brain surgery. Sheesh!

If you have $3,700 to burn on a vintage bike, get yourself a British bike. Any mid- to late-'70s 750cc Triumph is more than capable in modern traffic (freeways, too), is easy to work on, has tons of parts available, and will actually be worth the $3,700 you pay for it. Look for a Tiger (TR7R) over the Bonneville (T140). Tigers only have one carb (no synching!) and are just as quick as the more sought-after Bonneville. People will pay a premium for the word "Bonneville." Don't get duped. Go for the Tiger/TR7.

You could also look for a late-'60s BSA A65. Lots of those around. Great bikes. Weak spot is the main bearing, so make sure it's been replaced at some point, or have it reflected in the price.

Stay away from Norton Commandos. Great bikes, but way overpriced.

p.s. Not trying to be a hater, just trying to keep you from getting fleeced.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  5. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Appreciate all the feedback, gents.

6. KnowYourRights

Where are you located? I can ask some of my clubmates if anyone is letting something go in your area.

7. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

On Thunderbolt at NJMP, so much damn fun.

[​IMG]

And here's some video from the last session. Passed a lot of bikes making quite a bit more power than my lowly 95hp bike, and had a blast doing so.

8. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

I've noticed there's a big price differential for 70's import bikes in the US vs. Canada. Does anyone know why this is? Is it just because Canada is smaller market?

9. KnowYourRights

Because Canada got all the '74 5-speed, 650cc T120RV Bonnies during the workers' strike. And the US is still mad about it. :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  10. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Cheers. I'm in Toronto.

Right now, I'm just in the browsing/education stage but this is the style of bike I like.

11. otc

otc Senior member

I walk past a Scrambler every day in dark green paint with some trim leather saddlebags...

I think I want one.

12. KnowYourRights

Cool. I'll get the word out. Our closest chapter is in Chicago, so a bit far away. Still, if you're willing to make a drive for the right bike...

http://tonupclubchicago.com/
    Email Fletch and tell him McQueen from Ton Up NorCal sent you.

In your hood:
    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/drh/mcy/2554232810.html

Could be a far price. I'd have to see it in person, check numbers, bits, etc. It's a '70 500cc. Not the best freeway bike, but super-fun around town and in the hills. I know, I have a '71 500. If you don't plan on doing a lot of long-distance touring, a little Trump is great. Shorter wheelbase than the 650/750 bikes, so it's really nimble. Super-easy to work on. I did a complete top end job in about 1.5 hours (not including machining).

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/2611029197.html

Sweet high-pipe Norton. Don't see a lot of these around here. Fair price assuming condition is good.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/mcy/2587485364.html

Great bike. High price because, well, it says "Commando" on it.

Good luck!

13. foulard

foulard Senior member

OK, everyone please help.

I'm thinking about buying this BMW at an auction. No reserve. 1970 R90/6 900cc BMW.

What do you all think?
    [​IMG]

14. KnowYourRights

Cool bike. I don't know anything about Beemers.

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

minus the faring, that bike is hella sexy..