Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Triumph

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Congratulations.. Didn't you mention an interest in the new Royal Enfield bikes? They are hella cool looking, and excellent for urban areas I'd say. That said, they are HP limited and if you ever found yourself traveling superhighways or even highways, you might be a little intimidated.

If it were me, and I knew I was gonna be riding for the long haul, and I had to have a cafe racer but didn't want to worry about wrenching, maintenance, or reliability, I'd probably do one of these:

[​IMG]

It'll come with a 2 year warranty, very few problems, plenty of power as your riding skills get better and you can use more, and one damn sexy looking bike. You might find folks who would caution you against picking up something like this for a first bike, but I would ignore them. As long as you ride safely, can handle the weight (very light bike, probably close to my Scram at 550 lbs wet or so), and don't ride like a retard, you'll be fine..

3. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

Be careful on the brick streets off of Sheridan. They're uneven in places and quite slick when wet.

4. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Cheers. I was looking at the Royal Enfields but they're all in the 700-800cc range which seems a bit much for me as a beginner (or so I'm told by folks..lol)

I'm actually considering getting a scooter first to get accustomed to riding downtown and then picking up a bike later on.

This Triumph Thruxton is available for around $9600 right now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

5. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

My bad - you're right. They're all 499cc. I must've confused engine size with price. :embar:

6. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

Stick with a motorcycle. It's safer, especially with the 10"-12" of your average scooter wheels that love to jam in large potholes and send you careening off in a new direction if you're not paying attention. I've ridden both--new and old--and bikes are just safer, in my opinion.

Good choice on the Trump. I had a Hinckley Bonnie Black. Good bike. Too heavy for what it is, but a solid bike.

$9,600 is waaaaaay too much for that bike. You can pick up a pristine 0'3-'06 Bonnie or Thruxton around here for $5,500 max. Don't overpay. Hinckleys won't keep their value like Meridan bikes, so wheel and deal! Keep your eyes peeled and you'll find a deal.

I'd steer you toward a Bonnie rather than the Thruxton. Not much in the way of power difference. And with the Bonnie, you can do it up to suit your riding style and aesthetic leanings. Thruxtons are too cookie-cutter in my opinion. There are a ton of aftermarket speed parts, add-ons, and what not to make it your own. In fact, it's almost as boutique-ish as Hardley Movingson. :)

Good luck! And let us know what you end up getting.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

7. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Cheers - I'm going to start looking at the Triumphs and some of the Royal Enfields.

8. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

Forget the Enfields. One look at the engine cases and you'll see why. Terrible materials. And the reliability is questionable. You'll need to be mechanically inclined to keep it on the road. If you REALLY want an Enfield (and like to get your hands dirty), go vintage.

EDIT: Maybe the quality on their new unit-construction motor has gotten better, but I wouldn't wast the time. New Enfields are purely for weekend/novelty.

If you just want a push-button bike that pays homage to the vintage-style, stick with the Hinckley bikes.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

9. sonomadrifter

sonomadrifter Active Member

10. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Sad this past weekend -- put down the deposit on storage ... [​IMG]

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

How many more weeks of riding do you figure you'll get? Seems like last week you were talking about having taken your first ride of the season.. Sucks bro, winter's a bitch..

12. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Canada, eh. 3 week riding season.

Versus sweating every single day of the year down here.

13. eg1

eg1 Senior member

It depends upon how much of a blockhead I want to be about riding in the cold -- when I was younger I might stick it out until early November. Now I pack it in mid-October after the Indian Summer.

14. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Any thoughts on this rebuild? Asking price is $3700....

[​IMG]