Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. otc

otc Senior member

I have been thinking about buying one of these. I saw it posted on an old SF thread and the review on webbikeworld is pretty good.

The back armor is another $30 or so...I'll probably buy one when it gets colder out.

2. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

I got one of those a few months back for a good price. It's a very nice high quality jacket. I'm just waiting for it to get cold enough to wear it.

3. otc

otc Senior member

There are a bunch of belstaff/BMG zodiac jackets on ebay. These are their summer jackets and they are less SF-approved but they are $49+shipping (I actually called the shop since they didn't have any size L listed and they pulled one and shipped it for less than the ebay shipping). I have not gotten it yet, but they were well reviewed and it comes with the full set of armor including back (which if you buy it from BMG costs extra). The armor is the same as what goes into that Montana jacket so you end up with a dirt cheap summer jacket plus armor for the leather.

EDIT: just wanted to say that I got the Zodiac jacket today and it feels pretty nice. The elbow and shoulder armor with it is legit CE certified stuff, the back armor is just a foam pad. This is not the optional level 2 certified back protector that BMG offers as an addon--I found a company response to a review posted on BMG that said that this foam pad is just to make sure the pocket is sewn to the right size and is not true armor.
    The ebay listing isn't incorrect in saying that it has something for the back, but it is not designed for real protection (and I don't know how much it would offer)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Very nice jacket, especially for the price. Unfortunately, i have a dozen motorcycle jackets, so I can't justify buying another.

Thinking about buying leather pants next.. :hide:

5. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

assless chaps or touring or track pants?

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

lol, I was thinking more along the lines of a leather jean..

7. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I had a nice grey pair to match a leather jacket that I bought in 1990. Sadly, neither fits anymore...

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  9. otc

otc Senior member

Went out on the highway (well, lake shore drive) for the first time yesterday.

Felt quite comfortable with it although I couldn't push the bike very fast. It wanted to go 65-70 and not a mph faster. I know the kz400 is not a fast bike...but everybody seems to think it should be able to do better than that.

I know I am having some carb issues which would sap power and my dad just sent me his old timing light so I am going to open her up to make sure the valves are right (apparently it is very easy on these bikes) and then check the timing. Compression is good, spark plugs were replaced this week but one of them might be having some oil fouling issues on the same side that I definitely have some carb issues--air leak coming into the right hand side for sure...I bought some better hose clamps which I hope will fix it (and I jiggled it in the home depot parking lot and the whole way home the idle would slowly drop until it killed unless I kept revving it...)

10. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

I can't imagine riding a bike that couldn't accelerate away from a situation in a moment's notice, I would feel pretty terrified on a highway where I couldn't even match the flow of traffic. Why did you settle on a 400?

11. otc

otc Senior member

It was what was available and everyone seemed to think it was a good sized first bike. I don't plan to keep it forever and I live in the city and would mostly be doing city driving or highways where the flow is slowed down. On Lake Shore drive, 70 is beating the flow of traffic :)

It didn't feel like it had much of an issue getting to that speed while I still had gears but I think I am losing too much power on the top end...hopefully when I get any carb/timing issues sorted out, I will be able to be able to push it fast enough that 70 becomes an ok speed to sit at.

12. ken

ken Banned by Request

More Nortons than you could shake a stick at.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. poissa

poissa Senior member

Anyone have suggestion for one piece suits? Anything is helpful, brands to avoid, brands to get. Types of material to avoid, etc.

14. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

what kind of riding? touring? twistys? rain?

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Very nice.