1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

^ I'd hate to be his neighbors... [​IMG]

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Listen to that clutch!

Exhaust sounds nice too...I wish I had recorded my Micron before I sold the bike.

3. ken

ken Senior member

nearing completion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kick...kick...kick...kick...kick...kick...kick...kick...kick...kick...kickputt putt putt putt vroooom

4. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

^ My kidneys and teeth hurt just looking at that bike... [​IMG]

5. modsquad

modsquad Senior member

Dumb question: can a 125cc trail bike be ridden on the street? I want a bike to ride very short distances in the DC suburbs as part of my commute. I will not be riding the bike more than 5 miles a day, on suburban streets. I want to do this as cheaply as possible and a 125cc trail bike from a big manufacturer like Yamaha or Suzuki of Honda seems like the way to do it. I am 6' tall and weigh 160 pounds.

Thanks for any input.

6. j

j Senior member Admin

As long as it has DOT approved tires, blinkers, lights etc. then most likely yes. It would depend on your state's laws, but a dealer should be able to show you one that meets what you're describing. There are a lot of small engined (<300cc) enduros that are specifically made to be street legal, they're called "dual sport" as in on and off road. 125 is pretty small but I'm sure it will be fine for around town.

7. DNW

DNW Senior member

Dumb question: can a 125cc trail bike be ridden on the street? I want a bike to ride very short distances in the DC suburbs as part of my commute. I will not be riding the bike more than 5 miles a day, on suburban streets. I want to do this as cheaply as possible and a 125cc trail bike from a big manufacturer like Yamaha or Suzuki of Honda seems like the way to do it. I am 6' tall and weigh 160 pounds. Thanks for any input.
    Why don't you just get a used Vespa?

8. Matt

Matt Senior member

I used to ride my 125 dirt bike more than my Vespa for around-towning. On the trailbike - potholes...dont exist...kerbs...dont exist....speedhumps....dont exist. On the Vespa - pothole...OWW...kerb...go around....speedhump...girlfriend falls off back. That said, I still love my Vespa [​IMG]

9. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Indians are coming back... Again...

Also, the V Max is back... Again...

10. j

j Senior member Admin

Finally took some pics yesterday after a grueling chain-and-everything-else cleaning session. They made us all jockey cars around to do some more unnecessary work on the building, so I had a nice place to work on it: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Nice pics! I love that bike.
    You considering chopping that fender? I'd imagine that you rode in the rain often, but it would look really great without that shovel back there.

12. j

j Senior member Admin

I know, I'm trying to decide how I want to chop it and what I could do to minimize the rooster tail issues. There are a couple of tail chop kits that make it look pretty decent. I definitely want to get rid of most of that junk. This is the one I'm looking at: [​IMG] About $120ish, really well made and uses the original rear lights. Maybe if I added just a curved strip of blacked out aluminum all the way from the bottom edge of the plate up to the battery box or beyond - that would probably cut almost all the roost and keep the engine and me a lot cleaner, and look very minimal.

13. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Ken, badass. Looks like it's come a long way since the WAYWT pic where I think it was maroon (assuming it's the same bike).

J, your Duc is beautiful. With that tail bob kit you posted, it does seem like a small piece of dark metal underneath/behind the plate would reduce the rooster tail. It may not be the look you're going for, but if you want the bobbed rear and clean look, have you considered a rear hugger fender?

14. j

j Senior member Admin

We're still waiting on a good non-carbon fiber (unnecessarily expensive) hugger option. There's a local guy who should be nearly done with getting them made up in ABS and when he does I will get one of those.

15. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

Do you have a profile sot of the red bike you posted above?

16. Matt

Matt Senior member

I know, I'm trying to decide how I want to chop it and what I could do to minimize the rooster tail issues. There are a couple of tail chop kits that make it look pretty decent. I definitely want to get rid of most of that junk. This is the one I'm looking at: http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4...achmentda0.jpg About $120ish, really well made and uses the original rear lights. Maybe if I added just a curved strip of blacked out aluminum all the way from the bottom edge of the plate up to the battery box or beyond - that would probably cut almost all the roost and keep the engine and me a lot cleaner, and look very minimal.
    I dunno J - understand the aesthetics of it, but you do live in Seattle...have a feeling removing the rooster is gonna make for some dirty ass jackets in your closet.

17. j

j Senior member Admin

Do you have a profile sot of the red bike you posted above?
    It's one of these two: [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. JonB27

JonB27 Senior member

Very nice bike... The tail chop on the red one looks nice and clean.

19. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Who knows about BMWs? After getting caught in the rain for the MILLIONTH FUCKING TIME without bags and all of my gear (and for a couple of other reasons), I'm thinking about maybe a sport tourer for my next bike.

Honda's ST1300 or BMW's R1200 RT or the R1200 GS. I use my bike a lot for commuting and I like to ride in all kinds of weather (except for below freezing unless it's completely dry). I also would like a small windsheild, bags, the whole package.

I know that I could put bags on my cruiser and whatnot but I'm thinking I'd rather get a bike more suited for commuting and riding.

Anyone have either of the BMWs or the Honda that I mentioned?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Nil

Nil Senior member

I love the look of the Triumph Bonneville...

[​IMG]

If I could just convince my wife to let me get a bike [​IMG]

This image has made it necessary for me to purchase a motorcycle sometime in the near future. This Triumph has the perfect look for me but unfortunately, it appears to be out of my price range.

So my questions are: is there a term for this particular style of motorcycle? And also, are there any cheaper cycles that have looks similar to this one?