• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles - What We Wear When We Ride

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ride in jeans, but they are made by Alpinestar, Dainese, and BMW with Kevlar and knee/hip armor.

I am more of a sport rider and not a bar/Starbucks hopper. Everyone manages their own risks, hell some people ride without helmets or with a brain bucket. I think for the most part that is their choice (as long as it doesn't mess with my insurance rates).

I am a member of ADV rider and am a follower of ATGATT. Do I cheat occasionally? Yes. I may even commute some days with a fashion leather jacket sans armor. I do want to come home to my daughter every night and continue to provide for my family.

emptym

Reaction score
In the city, I wear a full faced helmet, ballistic or leather jacket (usually w/o armor), pants, leather gloves and boots that cover my ankles. I figure I wear less while riding a bicycle in the city at similar speeds and with less regard from those in cars.

On the highway, I'll always wear an armored jacket and wind or rain pants as well. If going long distance, I'll add a spine brace, knee/shin pads, and actual motorcycle boots.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An evolution:

1655790_10203085796053743_489358916_o.jpg
1602173_10203085832894664_675187711_o.jpg
1617946_10203052774948236_414176381_o.jpg
11882910_10207461040312115_7965942433744938546_o.jpg

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Honda was borrowed for a four day trip through Mexico. Those white jugs are filled with gas. The trip was literally off road, meaning much of the trip was cross country i.e. no roads, no gas station. Mid point there was a one pump adobe "gas station" in the middle of nowhere attended by an old man who looked like he had just stepped out of the Mexican revolution. I made that trip two years in a row during high school.

I do wish I still had the Yamaha. That 350cc two stroke was super quick and fast.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Honda was borrowed for a four day trip through Mexico. Those white jugs are filled with gas. The trip was literally off road, meaning much of the trip was cross country i.e. no roads, no gas station. Mid point there was a one pump adobe "gas station" in the middle of nowhere attended by an old man who looked like he had just stepped out of the Mexican revolution. I made that trip two years in a row during high school.

I do wish I still had the Yamaha. That 350cc two stroke was super quick and fast.

I would like to have either of those. They don't make quick, light, simple bikes anymore. I currently ride a Superduke and my previous bike was a S1000XR so I'm guilty of furthering the overweight, overpowered, mega bike. However, I do yearn for older, lighter bikes that you can take and that can take you anywhere.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Those must have been the days. I'd be too paranoid with the level of crime along the northern Mexican border to ever try that now.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Mexico has change drastically for the worse. For a few years my family and I lived in Mexico City during the mid '70's (shortly before those first two pictures were taken) and it was great. Now I won't even visit there because of the current state the country is in. It's really sad how the country has been taken over by the cartels with the help of corrupt politicians. It really is a narco state.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics