• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycle Jeans Project

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what kind of stitching is necessary to hold that stuff together. I'd really like to be able to get some of that fabric to make into my own stuff.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I called Kushitani in CA and the nice lady said the Japanese model of the leather jeans (next model year) has at least knee armor pockets in it and they will get a pair of those if you want and sell them for the same $400. She also said to size up one since they run a little tight and size up two if you want to wear that Bohn or T-pro/Forcefield under-armor stuff underneath, because of the hip armor. The inseam is 35" unhemmed and they are machine washable.

Kushitani is local for me, and I saw the jeans in question when I was looking for riding pants. I did not try them on, because they did not have any armor. If the newer model has pockets for knee or hip armor, they might be a very good solution. Kushitani sells t-pro, but also has their own proprietary armor that's a very thin and dense foam. I don't know how well it works, but if you were looking for the least obstrusive armor, I would look there first.

There is no question that there would be a market for jeans that provide impact protection, abrasion resistance, and look good. Not easy to do though. Personally, I think I lived with a good compromise. When riding around locally, I wore t-pro knee pads under my regular jeans. When going on a real ride (or freeway) I wore Dianese racing pants.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I wonder what kind of stitching is necessary to hold that stuff together. I'd really like to be able to get some of that fabric to make into my own stuff.

If you mean the thread, it's usually heavy duty nylon or aramid/Kevlar thread. However, IIRC Kevlar fibers degrade in UV light, so that could be a consideration. Also, not related to this fabric, but when stitching leather Kevlar thread is contraindicated because it doesn't "give" under stress and cuts through the leather between the stitch holes. Instead a more elastic thread is a better choice.
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by Renault78law
Kushitani is local for me, and I saw the jeans in question when I was looking for riding pants. I did not try them on, because they did not have any armor. If the newer model has pockets for knee or hip armor, they might be a very good solution. Kushitani sells t-pro, but also has their own proprietary armor that's a very thin and dense foam. I don't know how well it works, but if you were looking for the least obstrusive armor, I would look there first.

There is no question that there would be a market for jeans that provide impact protection, abrasion resistance, and look good. Not easy to do though. Personally, I think I lived with a good compromise. When riding around locally, I wore t-pro knee pads under my regular jeans. When going on a real ride (or freeway) I wore Dianese racing pants.

They said they'd order them for me with the pockets. How did they look in general?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surfrider
Originally I thought the same way, and so picked up a beautiful pair of horsehide chaps.
PS: What do you ride?

I stay in a huge hurry and am always jumpin on my bike and running somewhere. I knew that if I got the pants, I would realistically wear them a lot less, defeating the purpose. I'm giving up the ass for the rest of the legs I guess...
confused.gif

I ride a '78 GS750 and an '82 GS450 Rat/Cafe/Thing
laugh.gif
How about you?

Oh, and here's the brand I couldn't remember before. It's the leather-reinforced jeans: Mo'cycle jeans in Sweden

http://www.mocyclejeans.com/

EDIT - They no longer reinforce with leather! They say that they DID use leather, but switched to kevlar for its increased abrasion resistance. They also have pockets for armor:

Motorcyclepic1.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Those look great. $330. Hmm.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

aging in rhythm

Reaction score
those MOCYCLE jeans are raw, so imagine falling off and getting those sick road fadez

Surfrider

Reaction score
Since somebody else dug this thread up already, I guess there's no harm in posting....

Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
I stay in a huge hurry and am always jumpin on my bike and running somewhere. I knew that if I got the pants, I would realistically wear them a lot less, defeating the purpose. I'm giving up the ass for the rest of the legs I guess...
confused.gif

I ride a '78 GS750 and an '82 GS450 Rat/Cafe/Thing
laugh.gif
How about you?

Hyosung GV650 and a recently-inherited '53 K Model (
inlove.gif
).

I love old bikes, especially old school bobbers. And since my "new" bike isn't stock, I'm considering going that route (using only period-correct parts, of course)...

cmrocks

Reaction score
Any development on these jeans?

I'm tempted by those mocycle jeans but I'd like to read some reviews on them first. It's hard to tell what the fit is like from those pictures.

Hawaiibiker

Reaction score
I have jeans lined with para-aramid from Hood Jeans. They have hip and knee pockets where you can install the CE approved Knoxx pads.

I like the fit as it has a little taper (ala SF preference
smile.gif
) and came hemmed to my specs, straight from the factory in the UK.

It was a bit warm when riding around in Hawaii but I felt a lot safer than with just regular jeans.

Finally, it is much cheaper than all the other commercially available jeans (ranges between 72 and 96 GBP)

I believe Fast Bikes magazine gave it 5 stars.

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/html/k7jean.html

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
Any development on these jeans?

I'm tempted by those mocycle jeans but I'd like to read some reviews on them first. It's hard to tell what the fit is like from those pictures.

No progress recently. Still thinking about it though. I'm also tempted to get some of the Ducati jeans to see what they're like. Really not that comfortable wearing just regular jeans but there are few good options unfortunately.

ethandesu

Reaction score
In my time with Evis in Japan, we sold a 17oz jean that could have withstood a nuclear missile attack. Might be worth speaking with Noriaki Murai in the store in Daikanyama to see if they have any still floating around.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm doing a special jean with Iron Heart being released in the winter that will be their 21oz denim lined with their super heavy flannel on the inside.
Super soft and warm, and mildly protective.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
I'm doing a special jean with Iron Heart being released in the winter that will be their 21oz denim lined with their super heavy flannel on the inside.
Super soft and warm, and mildly protective.

Two questions:

Will you actually be able to bend your legs at the knee?

and

Will you consider calling them "Iron Butt" denim?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
necroposting to see if there has been any progress in this.

I bought a bike 10 days ago and have been riding in the same stuff I wore for the MSF course (some RRLs that have been worn in since apparently raw denim offers less abrasion resistance than denim that has been softened with wear/washings) plus a full face bell vortex.

Before I get to the point of riding on the highway, I'd like to pick up some real protective gear...but something that looks good would be preferrable.
I kind of like those BMW city pants...but kevlar infused SF-approved denim with knee armor inserts would be perfect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads