• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycle gear

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any stylish fellows out there ride a two wheeler to work? Any tips for gear on top of a suit?....hopefully without looking like an idiot or like one that just came from Sturgis?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one? I figured there would be some old wiry Triumph riders around here.

emptym

Reaction score
I commute by motorcycle, but just a few miles each day. I don't wear a suit but usually wear a sport coat and tie. I try to wear dress boots like these by Alfred Sargent to protect my ankles against wind and rain, or in a crash. When it's cold I wear unlined nylon windpants that have zippered cuffs for easy on/off over shoes. When it's wet, I wear a waterproof version. In the city I use an Polo knock-off of a Belstaff/Barbour jacket over a sport coat. It doesn't have padding, but it's waterproof and made of ballistic nylon. There's a pic of it near the middle of this page. Of course, I wear a proper, armored Belstaff jacket, Sidi boots, etc. when on long rides. There's pics of that gear in this thread, toward the end.

PoundSand

Reaction score
What do you think makes you "look like an idiot"? that's kind of vague.

There's essentially no riding gear that offers real protection that you'll want to wear over a suit.

My priorities in protection are helmet (always), gloves (always), boots and jacket (almost always), then pants. Putting aside the helmet, gloves are easy, and motorcycle oots make a huuuge difference (those little bones in your foot can get seriously f'd up), and those AS boots don't provide much crash protection.

Hackett

Reaction score
Suits work better with scooters.

mods.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
^You're right about the boots. But they are better than regular shoes, which I'd otherwise be wearing. Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't think the risk of a low speed slide that I'd be doing in an urban commute is worth the extra effort of ATGATT. Sometimes I ride around in the city on a bicycle wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and sandals, and go the same or higher speeds as on the motorcycle.

An Aerostitch suit is probably the best option for an ATGATT commute. Also, Rev-it and Belstaff (the USA version) make good armored versions of the old waxed Belstaff/Barbour jacket.

NewcastleWA

Reaction score
Your best bet for over-the-clothes motorcycle gear is textiles. MC leathers tend to be close fitting.

You have a few choices with textiles. The two piece outfits are probably the best bet with a suit.

As mentioned, Aerostich is well thought of and somewhat pricey. The Roadcrafter (one or two piece) and Darien (two piece reg and lite) models are popular.

I have a two piece outfit from First Gear that works well. They are one of the few manufactures that makes tall sizes if that is a need for you.

Many of the other well known motorcycle clothing manufactures have a over-the-clothes line.

I only wear motorcycle boots when I ride and I carry my dress shoes.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who ride to work at my office keep their suits and dress shoes in their lockers and just get changed when they arrive at work. There really is no way you can wear something that gives you enough protection yet doesn't ruin/crease your suit.

contrarycomet

Reaction score
I've commuted using an Aerostich for 10+ years (Seattle WA, and SF, CA) and highly recommend it. It's made to be worn over regular clothing, and you can wear it over a sportcoat/suit.

xcontext

Reaction score
I sometimes wear Bellstaff black jeans that have optional pads. Dianese makes a corduroy sports coat with elbow pads. But really, if you ride any distance you need proper gear. When I ride (on the freeways of L.A. I wear cycle specific footwear (sometimes just ankle boots you can walk in), jacket, etc. It is a gamble--what chances are you willing to take. Maybe you don't want to take chance breaking your back but are willing to take the risk f road rash on your arms. Always wear helmet. I was in Milan this year and everyone rides in suits. But they only ride around town at low speeds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads