• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycle & Exposure to Skin

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
I thinking about getting a motorcycle. I know you are required to wear a helmet or sunglasses in Florida. My question if I opt with the sunglasses, how is that going affect the skin on my face? My guess is it can't be good being exposed to the sun and the wind for a long time. However, if I opt with helmet with the visor down, how will affect my vision on the road? I don't see many people wearing helmets.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
It affects you becoming a rotten.com picture or not so wear it.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
You're thinking about getting a motorcycle, and you're worried about the skin on your face? You're thinking about getting a Gold Wing, aren't you...

Wear a helmet or don't wear a helmet -- it's up to you. Nothing will happen to your face either way (unless you dump).

skiwebster

Reaction score
helmets do not restrict vision at all. just go to a motorcycle dealer and try on the various helmets. full face helmets are the best protection because they are fully enclosed.

as far as protecting skin on your face, from what? sun, crashing? if its sun, there is no difference being on a motorcycle than riding a bicycle, just moisuterize (w/ built in spf) your face. if you are worried about crashing, here is a picture of impact zones on your head from crashing. full face will be the safest.

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
You're thinking about getting a motorcycle, and you're worried about the skin on your face? You're thinking about getting a Gold Wing, aren't you...

Brilliant!
crackup[1].gif
worship.gif

Seriously, always wear a helmet. You will fall (that is a certainty with motorcycles). Even the most gentle fall, at a low speed, can be dangerous. I've fallen once, trying to avoid an elderly lady, who popped out of nowhere trying to cross the street, during rainfall. It wasn't serious, and I let my vespa fall in order to avoid hitting her (it was either break hard and drop the scooter, or knock her down), but I remember my head bouncing on the street while falling. I was wearing a helmet, so the only effects of the fall were sore muscles and some mud on my coat. Without the helmet, and with my head bouncing...

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Yea yea, I know its a funny question that's why I ask it here. I just hear stuff like people who leave near the beach have a more aged face because of the wind and the sand in the wind combined obviously with the sun.

I do plan to wear a helmet I was just worried about it affecting my peripheral vision but that got answered so carry on with the jokes. I got what I wanted.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Well done. Next time mention everything in the introductory post so the rats don't come out.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
A full-face helmet w/visor down makes me feel like I'm in a video game. I lose my attention on the road, can't hear nearly as well, and have to turn my head to see over my shoulder when otherwise I could have just shifted my eyes. That's one of the reasons why I don't wear a helmet.

The other is that I have a death wish. I would try a 3/4 helmet before a full-face.

JonB27

Reaction score
I wear a full face helmet with the visor down (tinted visor during the day and clear at night)... I have had NO issues with impaired vision. I just think it's too risky not to go with a full face helmet

kever

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
A full-face helmet w/visor down makes me feel like I'm in a video game. I lose my attention on the road, can't hear nearly as well, and have to turn my head to see over my shoulder when otherwise I could have just shifted my eyes. That's one of the reasons why I don't wear a helmet. The other is that I have a death wish. I would try a 3/4 helmet before a full-face.
I don't think the Biltwell helmets restrict your view too much. Not DOT approved, but better than nothing. I wear a full face after wearing a 3/4 for a while. I like the full face a lot more. There is a bit less peripheral visibility, but the 3/4 lifted when i got up of 100KM/h (60 MPH)

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken

Wear a helmet or don't wear a helmet -- it's up to you. Nothing will happen to your face either way (unless you dump).

Take it from a long time rider, if you ride a bike, you will dump it at some point. If you are at all bright and don't want to wear a helmet...then don't ride!
boxing[1].gif

emptym

Reaction score
A helmet or sunglasses?! LOL. That's a crazy law. I wear a full-faced helmet, usually w/ the visor down. No probs. w/ vision. Try one out in a store and make sure it fits well. I think your skin would be OK if you left the visor up now and then. I often do when it's hot and I'm on city streets going under 30.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads