• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycle Boots question

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Anyone know where i can find standard Motorcycle Engineer boots (with the buckled strap across the top) in a NON-OIL/GREASE leather (aka normal black leather that can be polished)

vintage ones made through at least the 60s (and maybe 70s) were of this normal leather but i cant seem to find any in my size (i've been looking for 5+ years). so if i can get new ones that would be fine.

my oil leather steeltoe ones are ok, they're functional but i'd like a normal leather pair as well.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I have no idea what any of that means.

I'm pretty sure I can't help you, but if you feel like elaborating I'd be up for reading it.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's about these ones, or these ones? I think Frye makes non-greasy ones, too, but they'd probably be twice the price or more.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Again, what is this greasy leather? I've got a whole lot of boots from a whole lot of decades and a whole lot of makes (well, between me, my old man, and my brother, anyways). I'd be glad to try to figure out which is which if you somebody tells me how.

Is it like the waxy surface that some crappy brands have? Because none of mine have that (but, no, I've never tried polishing them).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The greasy leather surface is like that on your standard pair of (grunge style, not fetish or skinhead style) Doc Martens, for example - as opposed to the hard-finished shiny boot leather on army boots.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
The greasy leather surface is like that on your standard pair of (grunge style, not fetish or skinhead style) Doc Martens, for example - as opposed to the hard-finished shiny boot leather on army boots.
Gotcha. Never came across any engineer boots like that. Sorry.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Nick, yea i just found that Caboots site on fri afternoon. they look pretty good (and cheap) , i esp like the wood inlay between the sole and insole. i saw a *perfect* vintage pair on ebay, but it was a huge 1/2" too small for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads