• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycle Boots for a Business Casual Look

d4g6k11

Reaction score
I'm trying to narrow down some brown leather shoes for my a new wardrobe. I commute with a motorcycle every day and I'm hoping to use my boots for work as well.

I believe I'll be wearing this type of ensemble - Look 1, Look 2

I like the Stylmartin Wave and Rocket models - Link and Indian model - Link.

Does anyone have suggestions for motorcycle boots that can be worn with chinos/jeans and a button down long sleeve shirt?

Last edited:

Bower

Reaction score
I second that, Jumper boots are a great option, Alden has made some nice jumpers as well

appoooh

Reaction score
I have the Stylmartin Indian boots and while I think they work well in a purely casual ensemble they don't really work for business casual as they are blobby - the fake goodyear welt style stitching is off-putting too.

I'd also recommend the Carmina scotch grain jumper boot or even the C&J Coniston. The Carminas are better on the bike as their scotch grain leather is extremely tough.

Both are much better made than the Stylmartin Indian's.

On the plus side the Indians have a water resistant lining which is very effective. Here's me on the bike wearing them with a casually styled Dainese jacket.

S_WH3128-1.JPG

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The style pictures you showed would not, IMO, be compatible with large tread boots and most riding boots. Sure, you can wear boots like the carmina jumpers and similar style boots but not really providing you the protection that boots designed for riding provide. I think the two style boots you linked to are much too casual looking for the dress style you showed and are not, IMO, business casual boots - they're strictly casual boots

Maljunulo

Reaction score
"Business casual" is an oxymoron, and whoever started it should be hanged by his thumbs.

Jacobs

Reaction score
https://www.nocona.com/footwear/men_gentlemens

No laces to get caught up, protection for the calves from hot parts and road rash, and a polished look. Don't knock it until you try it.

ETA the boots you linked to are not really "business casual". Though some might object, it's rather obvious a well-polished pair of cowboy boots looks far more "dressy" than what are essentially work boots. Without seeing the shafts, a lot of people would probably assume you were wearing dress shoes.

Last edited:

lestyr3

Reaction score
I think it depends on what type of leather goes into the boots. I have a pair of Frye motorcycle (technically they're engineer) boots in oiled leather which I wear to the office with more matte trousers. If the rest of the outfit is more rugged, they could work fantastic.

I say "rugged" because for these (and many other motorcycle) boots - if they have a high shaft, your posture will be completely different from more normally sized shoes. You'll swagger. Which may not work if the rest of your outfit is more polished and tailored.

emptym

Reaction score
Unless you'll be on the highway for long distances, I'd second the Carmina, Alden, and C&J recommendations. Shell makes a good motorcycle boot too, due to its water and abrasion resistance. I have some boots by DWFII and some specially made Alfred Sargents that I've enjoyed.

TheLondoner

Reaction score
Do you want proper, CE-approved motorcycle boots with protection? Do you want a shift pad protector, too, or are you willing to use one of those slip-on thingies? Without them, you will notice the wear on the boot. Do they need to cover the shin? Do you need them to be fully waterproof?

If you can settle for lower boots, but still with CE-approval, the Alpinestars Parlour are not bad. Or the Dainese S germain, although a bit less discreet. Both black, though. You can find more details on biker-specific forums like advrider.com. High business-casual boots? AFAIK they don't exist! :) The German Daytona make some of the best bike boots in the market, but they are not very discreet nor stylish. Revzilla has lots of videos and reviews.

I'm curious, what motorcycle jacket and trousers do you wear? I have pretty much come to the conclusion that gear which doesn't look like biking gear, well, is not, and the more discreet and 'urban' ranges of the various Alpinestars, Revit etc tend to be less functional and offer way less protection than the best biking gear. If you're in the US, Aether Apparel makes nice jackets (not sure about abrasion resistance, though).

emptym

Reaction score
Most days I commute by motorcycle, and if I don't wear the boots above or some by Ron Rider, I wear cowboy boots, then switch to regular shoes at the office. Sidi has a line of "urban" boots. I used their On Road model for long rides.

The jacket I've been most happy with is the BMW New City. I just wear non-armored wind or rain pants over regular pants. I took a look at the Aether stuff a few years ago and it wasn't fully waterproof. But the new stuff looks like it is.

Anachronist

Reaction score
I second TheLondoner's view. Personally, I never drive motorbike without proper protective clothing and, having seen a man lose half of his skin in an accident when his jeans wore through, I wouldn't even compromise in my gear for a regular commute to work. Injuries like these are amongst the most painful things that can happen to you, take ages to heal and always leave scars... it's just not worth it to look fancy on a bike to save you two minutes at the office.

If it's to be jeans at all cost, wear leather chaps over them or buy ones with kevlar lining (although I recon you probably sweat like a monkey in these over the day). For the shoes: I'd just keep a pair of 'office' shoes that suit your outfit at the office and change after arrival/before departure and wear the real McCoy for the road. Anything with proper protection in it will likely be uncomfortable to wear over the day at work. Just my advice after riding for some 26 years...

TheLondoner

Reaction score
Single-layer motorcycle jeans have been all the rage recently - they are supposed to give you good protection without the bulk of a separate liner. Lots of discussions on advrider.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads