• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moto X

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got mine last week from the Moto Maker online store (carrier VZW) in 32GB.

Loving this phone...really.

I know it's gotten a lot of flak for its specs (or lack thereof) and not having a 1080p screen, but I think those critiques are nonsense.

Below is how I customized mine....chalk white back, black front, silver accent with my name on the back.

Google Now just whips the snot out of Siri

Motorola Assist is very nice for when you are on the road and in meetings at work.

Motorola Connect extension for Chrome is quite buggy, hope they fix it soon because I love being able to SMS message from my desktop (when it is working).

Any other Moto X owners here? What y'all think?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SO has one. I think Motorola did a really good job of building a phone with an excellent user experience as opposed to Samsung who just churns out phones with ever-increasing tech specs that do not necessarily result in more functional phones. I really hope Motorola is successful with it because I would love to see manufacturers stop with the meaningless specs wars and focus on building phones that people actually like using. I would get one for myself, but the off-contract price of the Nexus 5 was too appealing. And the N5 is a pretty solid phone, too.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't Moto making an INCREDIBLY inexpensive (off contract) phone that's really similar to the Moto X, I think it's the Moto G ($199 with NO contract and 16gb). All day battery use, 720p 4.5in screen, quad core snapdragon CPU, ships with Android 4.3.

Doesn't have some of the fancy things like the touchless functions.

Sounds like an absolute homerun. They're trying to get it to the point that this phone is down to $99 with no contract. Motorola's goal is to bring the price of the entire mobile phone market down.

The Moto X looks absolutely solid. I'd recommend one with no reservations. I got an HTC One a few months ago for $40 but that was with a contract... :( Very solid phone but it doesn't quite blow me away. The Zoe feature is nifty as is the TV IR Blaster and guide, but it's a little clunky and hasn't pried the remote control from my hands and the speakers are LOUD and sound great... for a cell phone lol, but there's nothing else really revolutionary.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SO has one. I think Motorola did a really good job of building a phone with an excellent user experience as opposed to Samsung who just churns out phones with ever-increasing tech specs that do not necessarily result in more functional phones. I really hope Motorola is successful with it because I would love to see manufacturers stop with the meaningless specs wars and focus on building phones that people actually like using. I would get one for myself, but the off-contract price of the Nexus 5 was too appealing. And the N5 is a pretty solid phone, too.

I agree! The Samsungs may have better specs, with with all the Samsung bloat thrown on there, the specs must not mean much since most people who are concerned about that sort of thing end up rooting them heh.

I'm not trying to be snide thumbing my nose at spec whores...I'm a bit of a spec whore myself, but only where it matters....like on desktop PCs.

The N5 looks like a damn nice phone too btw, and doesn't it have the touchless ability as well?

BTW: For fun, ask Google Now to make you a sandwich...

Isn't Moto making an INCREDIBLY inexpensive (off contract) phone that's really similar to the Moto X, I think it's the Moto G ($199 with NO contract and 16gb). All day battery use, 720p 4.5in screen, quad core snapdragon CPU, ships with Android 4.3.

Doesn't have some of the fancy things like the touchless functions.

Sounds like an absolute homerun. They're trying to get it to the point that this phone is down to $99 with no contract. Motorola's goal is to bring the price of the entire mobile phone market down.

The Moto X looks absolutely solid. I'd recommend one with no reservations. I got an HTC One a few months ago for $40 but that was with a contract... :( Very solid phone but it doesn't quite blow me away. The Zoe feature is nifty as is the TV IR Blaster and guide, but it's a little clunky and hasn't pried the remote control from my hands and the speakers are LOUD and sound great... for a cell phone lol, but there's nothing else really revolutionary.

Yes, could be a slam dunk, hope it is. Moto has a history of making great phones and I'd like to see them get known for that again. I was looking at the HTC One as well, but decided against it. Again, don't care about 1080p on a phone (can't believe anyone does...unless you do a lot of e-book reading on your phone). As far as speakers on the phone itself goes...I don't care. I have a rather nice Bluetooth speaker I use. (Supertooth Disco 2)

Anyway I am quite happy to be an EX-Apple customer. The move away from iOS was worth it for me. Only drawback is I miss AirPlay. Oh yeah...and being able to receive SMS messages when you switch from iOS to anything else is a damn nightmare.

If any of you guys have an iPhone and are switching to WinPhone/Android/BB....do yourself a favor. Go to settings, and log out of iMessage BEFORE you have your phone deactivated. Trust me you will thank me for this advice.

Last edited:

poena

Reaction score
got my moto x last week.

did the olive back with orange accents and black front.

loving the phone so far! I'm coming from a Samsung galaxy nexus and the battery life on the moto x is just amazing. I went like 16 hours yesterday without a charge and had over 30% left still.

Feels good in hand and the active notifications are pretty cool!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Feels VERY good in the hand. They were right when they said you wouldn't want to put the phone down. Olive and orange accent is a nice color combo, very masculine.

I wanted to get creative and try the mint color back, hoping it would look like the old appliances I grew up with....but after seeing some screenshots of that back from actual users, looked a bit cheap and plastic-y, so I defaulted to white as usual. Ever the minimalist.

edit: Moto Assist is incredibly useful in the car. Especially hooked up to my car's Microsoft Sync system via BT.

Last edited:

poena

Reaction score
now the problem is finding a case that keeps the phone just as nice!

yea I first was thinkiing about the yellow but thought that I might get tired of it after a while.

moto assist is pretty sweet. I like having my text messages read to me as I drive.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://store.griffintechnology.com/reveal-case-for-motorola-moto-x

I got one of these. Just a bumper with a clear back so your custom color shows.

I got the white one, and unfortunately, like every other white bumper/case I've owned, it's getting dirty fast.

Eventually I'll break down and get a black bumper. But I would ideally like to keep this phone as white as possible.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love mine. Except the camera. It's pretty horrible. Even after the update it just can't seem to get pictures right.

poena

Reaction score

Love mine.  Except the camera.  It's pretty horrible.  Even after the update it just can't seem to get pictures right.  

I think the camera is just fine. I don't see what the fuss is about to be honest. What are your expectations?

If I want real photos I use my D700 or X100s

Last edited:

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something comparable to the competition is what I'd like to see. I don't expect full frame DSLR quality but my wifes old Iphone 3 takes better pictures and to me thats just unacceptable. That aside, I love the phone.

poena

Reaction score
hmm...have you tried the "manual exposure" mode? my photos look ok to me.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know what I think it is, a combination of the fluorescent lighting in my office and when I upload them to share on here they must get pretty damn compressed through googles picassa program. They look decent on the phone.

poena

Reaction score
yea most of those uploads destroy the photos. I don't upload to picassa but I know that instagram really messes them up especially when ported over to facebook. facebook compresses very heavily too.

a quick adjustment in Snapseed can fix a photo real easily too before uploading

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads