• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

motivation

HCS

Reaction score
I need motivation to work out and do Cardio.
Ive been gaining weight quickly, mostly fat, but I cant find myself to go out there and have motivation to exercise. I have all the time in the world to do it, but I cant rewire my laziness to go out there and actually do it. I feel my lack of exercise has been downgrading alot of areas in my life, obviously physically, but also i feel my confidence going down. Mind you, I'm not obese or anything. I'm 5'7" and and 140 pounds. I'm told that's a healthy weight for my height but for the most part, its all fat, and I've got a big belly. It's a skinny chubby haha.

Any tips?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't leave working out to chance... Call a friend and make a deal to meet them at a certain time, book a trainer, tell yourself you're not eating dinner until you've gone to the gym, etc. Force it into your schedule.
another idea is to make a calender so you can see how often you've skipped. Each day you go, mark the day and if you want fill in some details abotu what you've done. When you can visually see that you're going regularly and getting better, you won't want to skip as often. If you don't really track it, then "what's one more day, I'll go tomorow" -> weeks of not going...

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi HCS,

I was just about to give a +1 to Master-Classter's recommendation when I zeroed in on this line in your post:

Originally Posted by HCS
I have all the time in the world to do it, but I cant rewire my laziness to go out there and actually do it.
If this is true, then M-C's advice is probably not going to help because you simply lack the will to apply it. And that brings us to this line:

Originally Posted by HCS
I feel my lack of exercise has been downgrading alot of areas in my life, obviously physically, but also i feel my confidence going down.
I'm asking this in all seriousness now. Do you think you might be suffering from depression? I ask because you claim to want improve your physical condition, you seem to understand the connection between that and your self-confidence, and you claim to have plenty of time to work out. Yet you're not taking any action. For most of us, getting the gym is a matter of scheduling and prioritizing. That doesn't seem to be the case with you. What do think may be going on here?

rickimky

Reaction score
best to get one of your mates to be your workout-partner...

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Hi HCS,

I was just about to give a +1 to Master-Classter's recommendation when I zeroed in on this line in your post:

If this is true, then M-C's advice is probably not going to help because you simply lack the will to apply it. And that brings us to this line:

I'm asking this in all seriousness now. Do you think you might be suffering from depression? I ask because you claim to want improve your physical condition, you seem to understand the connection between that and your self-confidence, and you claim to have plenty of time to work out. Yet you're not taking any action. For most of us, getting the gym is a matter of scheduling and prioritizing. That doesn't seem to be the case with you. What do think may be going on here?

Laziness?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
here's a tip:

stop being a lazy ****. unless you're working two jobs that leave no time at all, there is no excuse.
even if there wasn't a gym within 100 miles you can do pushups, pullups, dips, etc.

i can't believe there are people who get no exercise. what the hell is wrong with everyone. it extends your life. can get you laid. it's one of the most important things you can do.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can't motivate yourself to do it, nobody is going to do it for you. Sorry, but that's just my take on it. You might not have it now. You might have it soon. I went through two or three "I'm going to get fit" phases during college and afterwards, and it wasn't until five months ago that I really, really did it, and it was all my own doing. Maybe something will click sometime.

I see all of these people, dozens of them at my gym, who have regular personal training sessions. I pay attention to them and the trainer for various reasons: they are visible, vocal, and I like seeing what they instruct so as to possibly pick up new techniques for myself. I rarely see most of those clients increase their weight, and most just seem uninterested. Furthermore, most telling is that I almost never -- and I really mean that, hardly ever -- see those clients in the gym without their trainer. Most of the training session is spent gossiping and drinking protein shakes. One person that I see, on schedule, on Tuesday nights, does all these strength exercises with his trainer and walks around like he owns the gym (he is overweight) and I have never once seen him at any time other than Tuesday night.

kakemono

Reaction score
I had to do it... the title of the post made me do it... i swear
e01uns.jpg

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weight gain and energy levels are related to exercise and diet. Quit ingesting so much sugar (if you are) and bad carbs - and get your ass moving. Buy a cool new pair of running shoes if that helps.

Your motivation might be related to eating crappy food, too.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
here's a tip:

stop being a lazy ****. unless you're working two jobs that leave no time at all, there is no excuse.
even if there wasn't a gym within 100 miles you can do pushups, pullups, dips, etc.

i can't believe there are people who get no exercise. what the hell is wrong with everyone. it extends your life. can get you laid. it's one of the most important things you can do.

rolleyes.gif

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when i need extra motivation i start visiting the bodybuilding.com forums.. usually gets me back in the mood to go harder at the gym

kdaust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
If you can't motivate yourself to do it, nobody is going to do it for you. Sorry, but that's just my take on it. You might not have it now. You might have it soon. I went through two or three "I'm going to get fit" phases during college and afterwards, and it wasn't until five months ago that I really, really did it, and it was all my own doing. Maybe something will click sometime.

+1

Only you know what's going on in your head. But if you do decide that its finally time to pull your finger out, here's what I suggest:

Get a weight training program. Don't worry, you wont turn into Arnie. It takes *cough* drugs and a whole lot more commitment than most people will every have to get that big.

Commit to doing it for 3 weeks solid (ie. at the same time every day - I do mornings from 7am Mon, Wed, Fri). Nothing within reason should come before your scheduled workouts.

Then after doing every session for the whole three weeks re-evaluate whether it fits with your lifestyle or not.

Once you've got the weight training sorted. Work in some cardio.

Finally, once you have a routine where you're working out regularly (weights and cardio) look at improving your diet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads