• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mother of pearl watch for a man? yay or nay?

swooshmac

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on a mother of pearl dial for a man timepiece?

mop.jpg

Jan Capek

Reaction score
I'd always considered this to be more of a ladies' thing, but if you love it, wear it with pride.
(I'd never allow it near me, personally.)

swooshmac

Reaction score
I'd always considered this to be more of a ladies' thing, but if you love it, wear it with pride.
(I'd never allow it near me, personally.)
hhaha never allow it near you :p hahaha me too, but I thought I would try it on a brown strap and it wasn't bad. I designed it for a lady to wear, but put it on this color strap and surprisingly it wasn't that bad. but I do agree with you.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
hhaha never allow it near you :p hahaha me too, but I thought I would try it on a brown strap and it wasn't bad. I designed it for a lady to wear, but put it on this color strap and surprisingly it wasn't that bad. but I do agree with you.

On the other hand, how many of us Patek, Lange & Sohne, Rolex or Philippe Dufour admirers can claim that we designed our own timepiece? Frankly, if a good friend gave me something that has his personal touch (one that goes beyond merely "selecting" the watch), I'd wear it and learn to love it.

I dress not to show off (most people cannot tell hand stitching from machine stitching, or fused from canvassed anyway), but to feel confident. If it's the same with you, and you feel confident wearing it, I think you should.

Last edited:

swooshmac

Reaction score
On the other hand, how many of us Patek, Lange & Sohne, Rolex or Philippe Dufour admirers can claim that we designed our own timepiece? Frankly, if a good friend gave me something that has his personal touch (one that goes beyond merely "selecting" the watch), I'd wear it and learn to love it.

I dress not to show off (most people cannot tell hand stitching from machine stitching, or fused from canvassed anyway), but to feel confident. If it's the same with you, and you feel confident wearing it, I think you should.
thanks for your wise words ... I am confident when I wear it, but the MOP is just not for me.. personally. But yes... I have a great watch collection of name brands and special pieces that I bought, but I am very happy when I someone asks me why I wear 2 watches at the same time... I simply say 'one is a brand you know, and one is the one I design' and most of the time... they are more curious about the one I design than my Rolex or Panerai or AP, etc. :)

RoseGardener

Reaction score
I felt like if you are confident, felt like you can wear that with pride, then just do it and let the others admire your courage! That said, if you were often teased as being sissy, wearing this watch may not help ya. LOL, on the other hand, if you were a 250lbs bear, you could wear this and dare others to tease.

Going out of the norm takes guts, and depends on circumstance. haha if no one dares to wear it, send it my way and I will do it.

swooshmac

Reaction score
I felt like if you are confident, felt like you can wear that with pride, then just do it and let the others admire your courage! That said, if you were often teased as being sissy, wearing this watch may not help ya. LOL, on the other hand, if you were a 250lbs bear, you could wear this and dare others to tease.

Going out of the norm takes guts, and depends on circumstance. haha if no one dares to wear it, send it my way and I will do it.
hahah not teased for sure. just wasn't sure if a MOP was for a man or not. but you are right.. feeling confident in the watch you wear is up to the person wearing the watch. And I do like the watch, I should... as I designed it :) hahaha But thanks for the comments :) Feel free to check out the line if you like www.sixofourlife.com

RoseGardener

Reaction score
hahah not teased for sure. just wasn't sure if a MOP was for a man or not. but you are right.. feeling confident in the watch you wear is up to the person wearing the watch. And I do like the watch, I should... as I designed it :) hahaha But thanks for the comments :) Feel free to check out the line if you like www.sixofourlife.com

I would think that MOP watch with MOP cufflinks would be quite nice, and quite satisfying just to see the rule followers rushed to gather negativities just to cover their lack of ....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads