• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Versatile Sweater (Turtleneck, etc) colors to wear with sportcoats

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1159[1].gif
???

Navy
Black
stirpot.gif

Charcoal
Tan/Camel

Whatta you like?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like to wear sweaters with sportcoats other than sweater vests.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Clearly it depends on the color of your sportcoats. I'd tend to go with black or charcoal, considering that most of my odd jackets are either charcoal or navy, and the black would work well with either while the charcoal may work with either, but I'm not sure about charcoal sweater under a charcoal jacket. Most likely the shade would be different though.

Mentos

Reaction score
I think of sweaters as a good opportunity to add a little life to the ensemble, and to mix it up without adding too much expense. So lighter blues, soft reds, etc. are better choices than navy, charcol, or black.

But I would never wear a turtleneck with a sportcoat (personal thing), so that might change what you can get away with (i.e. red making your face look flush).

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Menswear mag Fall 06 issue has a page of turtleneck/sportcoat combos. They're back! But I always liked them

Colors depend on many things, starting with your face/hair. But since coats tend toward the neutrals, sweaters can be more colored for contrast.

Just as important as sweater color is sweater weight. Choose something lighter, so you don't sweat underneath excessively underneath your layers.

sammy

Reaction score
I like wearing V-necks and turtlenecks with my sportcoats. I find that camel and charcoal are quite versatile. I also like to wear dark red/burgndy.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Menswear mag Fall 06 issue has a page of turtleneck/sportcoat combos. They're back! But I always liked them

Colors depend on many things, starting with your face/hair. But since coats tend toward the neutrals, sweaters can be more colored for contrast.

Just as important as sweater color is sweater weight. Choose something lighter, so you don't sweat underneath excessively underneath your layers.

---I saw that. The Navy looked good to me in that pictorial but some of the rest I was not crazed of the combination. I do enjoy the different shades of the same theme. Like a camel jacket with dark brown sweater. Black seems very versatile with camels/tans also especially at night. Navy always works. I'm thinking a darker green would go nicely also. Fall and winter colors.

Turtlenecks: I never conisdered them out of style as its one of my signature looks in fall and winter. Also the girls rave about guys in turtlenecks, I think its a quite sophisticated/suave
shog[1].gif
look myself if done well. Then again, I picked uped a girl at Starbucks wearing a charcoal BR t shirt, AG jeans, boots, unshaved and tired and she was flirting with me about mowing her lawn shirtless.....so what do I know?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Turtlenecks always pull on my beard. I find them uncomfortable in that way.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Also the girls rave about guys in turtlenecks
mwink[1].gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:
Originally Posted by iammatt
Turtlenecks always pull on my beard. I find them uncomfortable in that way.

You have a beard?:
peepwall[1].gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
peepwall[1].gif

You have a beard?:
peepwall[1].gif

No, but my beard grows quickly throughout the day. It becomes very uncomfortable.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then again, I picked uped a girl at Starbucks wearing a charcoal BR t shirt, AG jeans, boots, unshaved....
Your pick-up needed a shave??
devil.gif
I like burgundy/red to add some color to my conservatively colored jackets. Navy always works and I have a tan cashmere crewneck with a melange of brown/blue/cream that is reminiscent of tweed that I really like with brown jackets. I own mostly crewnecks, but I'm learning to appreciate V-necks because they show more shirt and an occasional turtleneck can look good.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
No, but my beard grows quickly throughout the day. It becomes very uncomfortable.

Don't be a wimp.
Even Richard Dawson was man enough
crackup[1].gif

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
' Nuff said.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics