1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Most Versatile Sweater (Turtleneck, etc) colors to wear with sportcoats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

[​IMG] ???

Navy
    Black [​IMG]
    Charcoal
    Tan/Camel

Whatta you like?

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't like to wear sweaters with sportcoats other than sweater vests.

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Clearly it depends on the color of your sportcoats. I'd tend to go with black or charcoal, considering that most of my odd jackets are either charcoal or navy, and the black would work well with either while the charcoal may work with either, but I'm not sure about charcoal sweater under a charcoal jacket. Most likely the shade would be different though.

4. Mentos

Mentos Senior member

I think of sweaters as a good opportunity to add a little life to the ensemble, and to mix it up without adding too much expense. So lighter blues, soft reds, etc. are better choices than navy, charcol, or black.

But I would never wear a turtleneck with a sportcoat (personal thing), so that might change what you can get away with (i.e. red making your face look flush).

5. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Menswear mag Fall 06 issue has a page of turtleneck/sportcoat combos. They're back! But I always liked them

Colors depend on many things, starting with your face/hair. But since coats tend toward the neutrals, sweaters can be more colored for contrast.

Just as important as sweater color is sweater weight. Choose something lighter, so you don't sweat underneath excessively underneath your layers.

6. sammy

sammy Senior member

I like wearing V-necks and turtlenecks with my sportcoats. I find that camel and charcoal are quite versatile. I also like to wear dark red/burgndy.

7. Soph

Soph Senior member

Menswear mag Fall 06 issue has a page of turtleneck/sportcoat combos. They're back! But I always liked them

Colors depend on many things, starting with your face/hair. But since coats tend toward the neutrals, sweaters can be more colored for contrast.

Just as important as sweater color is sweater weight. Choose something lighter, so you don't sweat underneath excessively underneath your layers.

---I saw that. The Navy looked good to me in that pictorial but some of the rest I was not crazed of the combination. I do enjoy the different shades of the same theme. Like a camel jacket with dark brown sweater. Black seems very versatile with camels/tans also especially at night. Navy always works. I'm thinking a darker green would go nicely also. Fall and winter colors.

Turtlenecks: I never conisdered them out of style as its one of my signature looks in fall and winter. Also the girls rave about guys in turtlenecks, I think its a quite sophisticated/suave[​IMG] look myself if done well. Then again, I picked uped a girl at Starbucks wearing a charcoal BR t shirt, AG jeans, boots, unshaved and tired and she was flirting with me about mowing her lawn shirtless.....so what do I know?

8. itsstillmatt

Turtlenecks always pull on my beard. I find them uncomfortable in that way.

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Also the girls rave about guys in turtlenecks
    [​IMG]

10. Soph

Soph Senior member

:
    Turtlenecks always pull on my beard. I find them uncomfortable in that way.

You have a beard?:[​IMG]

11. itsstillmatt

[​IMG]

No, but my beard grows quickly throughout the day. It becomes very uncomfortable.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]

I think a small beard, beret, cigarettes, and wire sunglasses make for a nice complement to a black turtleneck, and jacket.

13. thinman

thinman Senior member

Then again, I picked uped a girl at Starbucks wearing a charcoal BR t shirt, AG jeans, boots, unshaved....
    Your pick-up needed a shave??[​IMG] I like burgundy/red to add some color to my conservatively colored jackets. Navy always works and I have a tan cashmere crewneck with a melange of brown/blue/cream that is reminiscent of tweed that I really like with brown jackets. I own mostly crewnecks, but I'm learning to appreciate V-necks because they show more shirt and an occasional turtleneck can look good.

14. Soph

Soph Senior member

No, but my beard grows quickly throughout the day. It becomes very uncomfortable.

Don't be a wimp.
    Even Richard Dawson was man enough[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

16. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

If you're going to limit your sweater collection, then charcoal is a must have.

17. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I love loden green, taupe, gray, and black.