• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Versatile Suitsupply Jacket...Blue??? Need to get away from Jos.A.Bank

NOLAstyle

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for some suggestions. I work for a bank where luckily suit jackets and at time ties are optional. Therefore I am looking for suit separates (possibly single jacket with multiple pants; say 3-5 different colors/styles). However, I am curious to see what your thoughts are in the event I need to grab a jacket (that I can keep hung up in my office for emergency) that will dress things up a bit whether I have an important meeting or a fancier client cocktail after work. I've long been watching what others have said on this forum about Suit Supply and personally like a lot of what they offer.

That said, I'm guessing (for the sole purpose of true comfort of working hours in access of 10-12 hrs from time to time) that I could wear light grey, grey, light brown, brown and of course blue pants with a blue or navy jacket (e.g. havanna jacket)...right??? In addition, some brown leather monks/loafers/oxfords would be appropriate or even some brown suede oxfords (all of which can fit most occassions other than formal events). Thoughts??? Ties I can play around with through the mix and match process. Fortunately, I have the option of a more casual look (different from what I'm used too, but looking forward to more comfort), but need to be have the ability to dress up or down easily while maintaining overall comfortability. Dress shirts I am still pondering too. All-in-all, I want to stay as far from Jos.a.Bank as possible, which appears to be the first choice amongst local bankers.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank-you so kindly in advance.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can't go wrong with a Navy blue notch lapel jacket.Grey would be the 2nd option.

Suit Supply sports coat tend to be very trendy,large lapels,etc. I would look into Brooks brothers for a more traditional look.

NOLAstyle

Reaction score

Going for a similar look to this...I would assume you could substitute different color pants into this.

brokencycle

Reaction score
First, you don't want suit separates. Suit jackets are meant to be worn with suit pants.

You should get a navy blazer or similar solid blue sport coat. That is the most versatile jacket for leaving in your office in an emergency.

NOLAstyle

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I found a navy "blazer" and paired it with a few different pants; light brown, grey, and light grey. That said, the jacket can be left in my car in case of emergency, which will allow me to mix and match those pants with various ties and shoe/belt combos. This is the jacket I was able to track down...looks more versatile.

NOLAstyle

Reaction score
So, I haven't had a chance to purchase anything for my new job because I wanted to check the company's attire policy and here is what it reads:

Traditional Business: Business suits, dress pants/slacks/shirts for the workplace, with dress shoes.

Pretty vague...what I think I'm gonna lean on is three pairs of pants (grey and brown) a few blue and white dress shirts (non-cufflink) and a few ties. I'll probably keep a navy blue blazer in case of a dressier meeting. Brown dress loafers and a brown belt.

Thoughts on this game plan?

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Honestly, the safe bet is getting a full suit attire. But you'll have to gauge when you actually start work? What did you notice when you went in for your interviews? If everybody is wearing a full suit with matching jacket and pants, then a blazer and separate colour pants may stick out too much, even if they are well paired.

It sounds like you might need to invest in multiple suits if they are a suit wearing culture.

NOLAstyle

Reaction score
I've been on the job for 2 months. I haven't seen anyone where a suit jacket with their attire. Mainly shirt and tie setup...if the boss isn't around the tie goes off. Ha. Caustic Man, I'm not sure what you mean... Ultimately, I want to be comfortable but not get too casual.

NOLAstyle

Reaction score
I see...thanks for replying. So, it seems like if any of you would be in my shoes you would rather get a few different suits (for example navy, gray and a pinstripe) rather than a few different pants and a navy blazer and/or sport coat.

NOLAstyle

Reaction score
Copy that. Just would hate to buy a variety of suits and RARELY wear the jacket (even though I would really like too), because of the southern heat and co-workers doing the same versus buying a few different pants and a jacket to wear in the event I need too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads