1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Most useful thing you've learned on StyleForum?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bjornb17, Feb 16, 2011.

1. bjornb17

bjornb17 Senior member

When i came here a year ago or so, I was a complete noob, so there are many great things I have learned.

However, the most important thing I learned is that khakis are not dress pants. I was always afraid to buy wool dress pants because I thought I had to dry clean them after every wear. Now that I learned how to properly care for wool dress pants, and where to find ones that fit me well at decent prices, it changed everything for me.

I went from wearing bland black or khaki dockers to having a nice collection of wool dress pants in many different colors. It opened up so many options for coordinating with different shirts, shoes, and belts and overall a much better look. The drape and comfort are so much better too.

So, what is the best thing each of you learned here?

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Shoes can make or break an outfit.

Stick with your own style, just refine it.

Lesser quantity quality always outweighs and outlasts a lot of mediocre garbage.

3. bjornb17

bjornb17 Senior member

Lesser quantity quality always outweighs and outlasts a lot of mediocre garbage.

So true - I learned this the hard way. When i first got interested in dressing well, I literally bought like 20 shirts off of ebay, mostly pretty inexpensive and kind of trendy with bold stripes. I soon learned the error of my ways and resold them again. Once I got over the slight sticker shock of good clothing and shoes, I realised that the benefits far outweigh the expense. You can't put a price on feeling comfortable and looking good.

4. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Don't scam an SF member on eBay.

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

This is such a truism that I hesitate to say it, but it's true: FIT, FIT, FIT. I can go and buy a $2000 Brioni sport coat off the rack from Neiman Marcus. If it does not fit, it will look worse that a mid-market SC that does fit. Unfortunately, fit is the hardest part to get right. It's easy to just gravitate to the respected brands, but a lot harder to get them to fit in a way that brings out their full potential.

6. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    This is such a truism that I hesitate to say it, but it's true: FIT, FIT, FIT. I can go and buy a $2000 Brioni sport coat off the rack from Neiman Marcus. If it does not fit, it will look worse that a mid-market SC that does fit. Unfortunately, fit is the hardest part to get right. It's easy to just gravitate to the respected brands, but a lot harder to get them to fit in a way that brings out their full potential.

+1000000000000

Most of the stuff I thought fit me well was way too big.

7. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

1.There's always more to learn historically.

2. Spend wisely if you're going to spend -and you're going to spend.

3. Balance oppulence / restraint.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Don't eat the yellow snow!
    Also..a good tailor(alterations) is as important as a good doctor!

9. Grey

Grey Well-Known Member

I've only been on here like a week.

So far, the most useful thing I've learned is that there's some cat up in Westminster MD (Elio) who apparently makes fantastic MTM stuff, and I'd never heard of him or English American at all before logging on here.

I'd heard of a few of the operations that deal with him (i.e. Tom James), but I didn't know the factory itself was so close to me and that you could just go straight there.

Seems like there are a lot of DC people on here. Needs regional sub-boards.

10. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Fit is everything.

11. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

1.There's always more to learn historically.

2. Spend wisely if you're going to spend -and you're going to spend.

3. Balance oppulence / restraint.

yea...buy once cry once.

12. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

Shoes can make or break an outfit.

Stick with your own style, just refine it.

All great points. And penny-wise, pound-foolish for sure.

Totally. More specifically, I learned what the "professional" standard for a good fit was. I've always been concerned with fit, I just didn't know many of the historical finer points prior to SF (and AAAC before SF, and the books of which both made me aware).

13. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

the proper way to eat spaghetti. [​IMG]

14. patrickBOOTH

the proper way to eat spaghetti. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. cromulated

cromulated Senior member

brand awareness: knowing what's out there beyond the usual mall luxury/other readily available options

16. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

That I'm alpha as fuck.

17. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

It's easy to wear bright colors and patterns but sophistication comes from subtleties like texture, and cut.

Shoes make or break your outfit.

Dressing just that one level nicer then everyone around me makes me feel great and that impacts everything I do.

18. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

don't let ur woman buy u clothes unless she is stylish as fukk!!

19. patrickBOOTH

Always wipe front to back.

20. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Just because your tailor can fix something doesn't mean you're going to like it.