• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Underrated Musical Artists

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tangfastic
I just saw the Zombies play to about 200 people in the back room of a pub in Swindon.
Not only did they write one of the classic albums of the 60s in Odessey and Oracle (they played 6 songs from this) and 2 of the greatest ever singles (time of the season, she's not there), but Rod Argent's band Argent did the original of 'God gave rock and roll to you'. That was played as an encore and was a genuine 'Holy ****' moment for me. I'd not really heard of Argent and had no idea it wasn't by KISS. Either they got really screwed by their record label or an accountant or something or they just love playing small venues in the middle of nowhere....

That's a great album.

Originally Posted by XenoX101
R.E.M is awesome but not underrated, they are pretty highly regarded, despite being not that popular.

If anything, they're overrated. I had a big fling with them once. What a bore they are. Pretty shabby live, too.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would distinguish between artists who are underrated versus those who have critical acclaim and are well-regarded by cognoscenti (e.g. Alex Chilton, the Velvet Underground, My Bloody Valentine).

In terms of "underrated" artists, I'd offer-up Gorgio Moroder (especially his work with Donna Summer, which prefigured electronic dance pop, trance, etc.), Sleep (their album Jerusalem is a stoner metal classic) and Sonny Stitt (the similarity of his alto saxophone playing to that of Charlie Parker left him woefully underappreciated).

Brogued

Reaction score
Last Poets
Booker Ervin
Jaki Byard
Horace Tapscott
OV Wright
John Handy

pdsf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
I reject this submission on the grounds that nobody should be caught dead listening to a band called Sparklehorse.

Then you'd be denying yourself some truly exceptional music...

Just found out today Mark Linkous, the singer/songwriter behind Sparklehorse, committed suicide in March 2010. Another amazing artist gone....
frown.gif

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Stevie Ray Vaughan (because some put SCRUBS LIKE HENDRIX, and Page, ahead of him)
Are you serious? SRV live: Hendrix live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU5gC...eature=related Speaking of underrated guitar players,how about Fernando Miyata: His first video,now with over 12 million hits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATub4...os=aWI4zIcfMW0 A jam track video for his guitar school in Brazil showcasing his advanced 2 handed technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vom0q...os=snZCOI5JI0c

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
joe pernice
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

banjabear

Reaction score
Cat Power
Nujabes (late Japanese hiphop producer - absolutely amazing)
Joy Division
Wilco
Anitpop Consortium
Gregor Samsa
Faunts
Pulp (best Britpop band)
solo Thom Yorke stuff

Lizen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
death in june
tears for fears
depeche mode

death in june is the creepiest neo folk I have every wrapped my head around.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
I would distinguish between artists who are underrated versus those who have critical acclaim and are well-regarded by cognoscenti (e.g. Alex Chilton, the Velvet Underground, My Bloody Valentine). In terms of "underrated" artists, I'd offer-up Gorgio Moroder (especially his work with Donna Summer, which prefigured electronic dance pop, trance, etc.), Sleep (their album Jerusalem is a stoner metal classic) and Sonny Stitt (the similarity of his alto saxophone playing to that of Charlie Parker left him woefully underappreciated).
This is a really good post. I agree with all of it.
Originally Posted by Lizen
death in june is the creepiest neo folk I have every wrapped my head around.
Current 93 is def creepier. That sort of pseudo talking/chanting singing.....

Lizen

Reaction score
Magician, just listened to some tracks by Current 93. Wtf... this stuff is down right scary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads