1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Most UNDERRATED movie/actor

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Tokyo Slim, Oct 15, 2006.

1. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

How about women? I've seen Kate Winslett mentioned but that is it.

I'd add BeBe Neuwirth (Tony for Chicago, many brilliant years as Lilith on Cheers and Frasier). Not sure if I spelled any of those names right.

Lately it seems that Helena Bonham Carter has been forgotten. I think she's excellent.

Finally how about...almost any actress over the age of 40 that doesn't look like the Desperate Housewifes crew?

bob

2. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

How about women? I've seen Kate Winslett mentioned but that is it.

I'd add BeBe Neuwirth (Tony for Chicago, many brilliant years as Lilith on Cheers and Frasier). Not sure if I spelled any of those names right.

Lately it seems that Helena Bonham Carter has been forgotten. I think she's excellent.

Finally how about...almost any actress over the age of 40 that doesn't look like the Desperate Housewifes crew?

bob

second Winslett and Neuwirth. haven't seen too many movies with Carter. in a similar vein, Emma Thompson. also love Joan Cusack.

-Jeff

3. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Arts? Culture? Vital? Newsflash: James Bond movies are water cooler material... [​IMG]

I'm quite aware, but anyone who ignores popular forms of culture is quite ignorant. Also, James Bond is usually the topic of a bit more conversation than other films in this genre, obviously because it has hit a cultural nerve. That's why I like to get to the bottom of this whole Connery obsession. Get to the bottom of that, and you begin to understand what makes the average movie going mind tick, and it can make you understand your own biases and notions.

I used to think in narrow terms such as yourself, then I took a course in university about pop music. It's amazing how much scholarly work has been done in analyzing why certain things got big.

4. benecios

benecios Senior member

A few more:
    John Turturro
    Ewan McGregor
    Paul Giamatti(maybe not so underated after Sideways)

5. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

A few more:
    John Turturro
    Ewan McGregor
    Paul Giamatti(maybe not so underated after Sideways)

Good call on Giamatti. Somehow all I can think of though is him doing Cinderella Man, and nothing else.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Good call on Giamatti. Somehow all I can think of though is him doing Cinderella Man, and nothing else.

I can only think of him as Pig Virus in the Howard Stern movie!

7. romafan

romafan Senior member

I'm quite aware, but anyone who ignores popular forms of culture is quite ignorant. Also, James Bond is usually the topic of a bit more conversation than other films in this genre, obviously because it has hit a cultural nerve. That's why I like to get to the bottom of this whole Connery obsession. Get to the bottom of that, and you begin to understand what makes the average movie going mind tick, and it can make you understand your own biases and notions.

I used to think in narrow terms such as yourself, then I took a course in university about pop music. It's amazing how much scholarly work has been done in analyzing why certain things got big.

The average movie going mind? Now who's thinking in narrow terms?! [​IMG]

8. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

[​IMG]

9. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

i think you misunderstood what he was saying...

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Wallace Shawn is a genius. He did the translation for the recent revival of Threepenny Opera. Which, by the way, starred the also underrated Alan Cumming.

There was a fascinating NYTimes article about Shaun and his brother, a composer, a few months (years?) back. They wrote recently an opera together I believe.

bob

+1 on wallace shawn

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think fleshing out why Connery is automatically "the best Bond" can be meaningful in determining what people's priorities are in terms of film going. It might sound ludicrous to you, but seeing as the arts and some culture is a major part of my life, these are vital discussions whereas it might be more water cooler type material for you.
    Well, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I don't know what "some culture" means, but visual arts, music, dance, and to a lesser extent film are all things I devote time and serious thought to. "Who's a better Bond" is not.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Oooh, a university course! Damn, I wish I had one of those to fall back on!
    [​IMG]

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think fleshing out why Connery is automatically "the best Bond" can be meaningful in determining what people's priorities are in terms of film going. It might sound ludicrous to you, but seeing as the arts and some culture is a major part of my life, these are vital discussions whereas it might be more water cooler type material for you.
    Well, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I don't know what "some culture" means, but visual arts, music, literature, dance, and to a lesser extent film are all things I devote time and serious thought to. "Who's a better Bond" is not.

14. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

i may be wrong, of course, but i don't think violinist was trying to differentiate between himself and the 'average' mind. average meaning people in general, like me...

15. Soph

Soph Senior member

The 2nd Thomas Crown Affair takes as much heat as accolades, but I love that movie.

Monica Bellucci for not being more mainstream and popular. She's at Anglie Jolie level and higher in Sex Appeal and she can act. She also dresses extremely classy, and has a body all men dream about, well, except gays of course[​IMG]

16. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Well, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I don't know what "some culture" means, but visual arts, music, literature, dance, and to a lesser extent film are all things I devote time and serious thought to. "Who's a better Bond" is not.

I'd love to hear your musings on music. If your gems in this discussion are any indication, you must be quite the Kenny G and Boccelli fan.

I'm astounded that someone who apparently made it through law school cannot get the fact that I could be interested in finding out why something liek the Bond series has been such a phenomenon, and that people actually devote discussion to it. The same situation doesn't exist for things like Die Hard, but I suppose the sociology of film isn't interesting to people like you.

17. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

The 2nd Thomas Crown Affair takes as much heat as accolades, but I love that movie.

on that note, while I am a huge 60s era Michael Caine fan, I actually prefer the remake of Alfie with Jude Law. at the risk of sounding like a GQforumite, I loved his wardrobe and the way his character put clothes together, along with the bit-too-small tight fits. And he rode on a 60s vespa.....it's like the Alfie character was a mod without the film ever referencing such a fact. It's the role that Jude Law was born to play. So much so that when people mention JLaw as a "sartorial influence", many times it's a reference to his Alfie character, not actual Jude Law, the real person.

18. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Monica Bellucci for not being more mainstream and popular. She's at Anglie Jolie level and higher in Sex Appeal and she can act. She also dresses extremely classy, and has a body all men dream about, well, except gays of course[​IMG]

+1

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Freud attempted to pyschoanalyze Woodrow Wilson but failed rather badly.

The analysis of the popular culture can be traced back to the Warhol set, and the French Theory that was then pre-dominant.

20. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Brendan Fraser.

That's right, Brendan Fraser.