• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

most stylish suit

ville_e

Reaction score
I'm tall (almost 2 metres) and in my early 20's. I'd like to buy a classic suit which is timeless, yet very sexy and modern at the same time...

I like my suits to sit very well but not slim fit like Dior.

What suits would you recommend ??

what coloured suit would be the best to buy and would suit all occassions : black? dark blue? grey? pinstripped black?

I'm also looking for some well fitting shirts and ties to go with the suit. I like Italian styles which have colourful ties, handkerchiefs and shirts to bring colourful to an outfit...

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black.
devil.gif

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a navy or charcoal with a colored striking stripe to it. 3pc single breasted peaked lapel with a DB peaked waistcoat. Now that's a bold statement.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As for color, my suggestion is to go with charcoal or navy. Both are extremely versatile, and can be worn repeatedly in a short span without anyone noticing you're wearing the same suit. (Unlike, say, a distinctive pattern or pinstripe.)

Black suits have grown in popularity in recent years, but traditionally they've been considered inappropriate for the workplace, and some guys, myself included, still hang on to that prejudice. Besides, you wouldn't want to wear a black suit to a happy occasion like a wedding, would you?

Your question on what brand to choose is much more difficult. Even if you were to limit your options to Italian suits, there are still many different styles and silhouettes to choose from, all classic. You can read endless numbers of thread here discussing the nuances and differences. Knowing how much you would like to spend would be a big help.

That said, you mentioned that you are young and tall, so I'll throw out my standard suitmaker suggestion: Corneliani. Corneliani's mainline stuff is excellent quality and can be found on discount fairly frequently, through stores such as Sierra Trading Post. With some hunting, subtle pinstripes can be found for less than $400, and solids for $600 or so. I'm tall and thin, and the cut works extremely well for me. The more conservative designs are both elegant and timeless. Just stay away from Corneliani's "Trend" and "CC" labels -- both are lesser quality.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zegna, you can't go wrong with a Zegna suit. If you can afford MTM, they have great materials, plus some styles that will fit a tall, thin guy just about OTR. If your budget is much, much less, I'd recommend finding some of their Z line suits on a good discount. Others I'd mention are some of Dolce and Gabbana's mainline stuff. They have (or had) both of these at Saks on their sale. I picked up two Z suits at about $320 each, $500 with tailoring, and the fit is perfect. Fitted, especially the jacket, but not "fashion" tight, like a Gucci or Prada suit. I could have gone slightly slimmer on the pants, but didn't have them slimmed because doing so on these would have caused the pockets to open up and bulge. I'd also check out any remaining Paul Smith suits at a Neiman Marcus or Last Call store.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ville_e
tall,early 20's. timeless, very sexy,modern ...

If you want a sexy suit to go out, get a slim, 2 btn, modern cut, flat front trousers BLACK suit.... It's not versatile but is the one that would match what you want...

Now If you want a versatile suit for business... then get a navy or dark gray 3 btn suit...

drljva

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Zegna, you can't go wrong with a Zegna suit. If you can afford MTM, they have great materials, plus some styles that will fit a tall, thin guy just about OTR. If your budget is much, much less, I'd recommend finding some of their Z line suits on a good discount. Others I'd mention are some of Dolce and Gabbana's mainline stuff. They have (or had) both of these at Saks on their sale. I picked up two Z suits at about $320 each, $500 with tailoring, and the fit is perfect. Fitted, especially the jacket, but not "fashion" tight, like a Gucci or Prada suit. I could have gone slightly slimmer on the pants, but didn't have them slimmed because doing so on these would have caused the pockets to open up and bulge. I'd also check out any remaining Paul Smith suits at a Neiman Marcus or Last Call store.

Would definitely agree with the Zegna recommendation -- especially their Nap. C. (now just called Couture, I believe) suits. I love Kiton, Brioni, Oxxford et al., but, for some reason, my Zegna suits have consistently been my "go to" suits -- probably because they travel so well.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Considering that you don't want a slim cut suit, and you mention that you're tall, so I assume you're a lanky build. Considering that, I would not go with a pinstripe, as that will elongate you further. If I were you, I would do a charcoal solid, or a subtle charcoal windowpane with medium to large squares.

As for the suits, assuming you're not doing MTM or Bespoke, you need a long coat. I actually don't know what european brands have extra-tall sizes, but I would look into those first. If those are not available, I believe that the longest cut jackets come from Isaia, Belvest & Corneliani, who cut a long to be right around 34" from bottom of the collar (I'm not sure if every silhouette is this way, but the ones I've seen were this long). If you can afford it (and if you have a strong shoulder), I would recommend an Isaia, as I think they have a great silhouette with the right amount of waist suppression, and their shoulders tend to be narrow. If you have more sloping shoulders, I think Cornelianis have more padding, and if you're thin and around 2m, it may be cut too loosely for your frame.

Of course, the best thing to do is to go and try out various things, but I think that's a good jumping off point.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Is windowpane "sexy"?

I don't think windowpane is inherently sexy. Although I'm sure a nice subtle one in a flattering cut would look very nice on the right person. I think in a vaccum, if a windowpane can give some illusion of weight to a more slightly-build person, it would help with the "sexyness" in the aggregate. If he wants to use a suit for clubs and such, he should stick to very dark charcoal; I don't think any other color/pattern would be as versatile, including Navy.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are that tall, you may want to stay away from stripe pattern. Go with Midnight Blue (dark navy), Dark Grey, Chocolate brown with subtle glen plaid is very classical (also modern IMO).

I don't know how much you want to spend on suits, but I guess if you want to spend less than $2000USD in retail, I believe your choices are
a) Hickey Freeman MTM
b) Brook Brothers MTM
c) JP Tilford Samuelshon MTM
d) local tailor bespoke

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics