• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most stylish suit format...

Jofaile

Reaction score
There are many variations, of course, but which of the basic formats do you think are most popular, stylish, and fashionable in today's social scene?

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Great question.

single breast
Notch lapels
Good width in the lapels so as not to be skinny, but not super wide as to be a novelty.
simple colors
Simple pocket square with a subtle fold.
Darker or medium colors, and subtle patterns are ok so long as they don’t steal the spotlight.

i don’t mind other options.
Peak lapels? I mean, tom Ford suits are well made, but that peak lapel he pushed hard is a bit too Harvey Spector from Suits circa 2013.
double breasted suits are fine, heck they often look good, but they can seem more limited in their application.
Loud patterns that stand out aren’t always bad, but they limit the suit’s versatility.
lighter suits can look great in the right situation,

what are your thoughts as far as today’s fashion scene?

this is a good sample

4892F00B-522A-4BC6-8680-EB4B7917FC50.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great question.

single breast
Notch lapels
Good width in the lapels so as not to be skinny, but not super wide as to be a novelty.
simple colors
Simple pocket square with a subtle fold.
Darker or medium colors, and subtle patterns are ok so long as they don’t steal the spotlight.

i don’t mind other options.
Peak lapels? I mean, tom Ford suits are well made, but that peak lapel he pushed hard is a bit too Harvey Spector from Suits circa 2013.
double breasted suits are fine, heck they often look good, but they can seem more limited in their application.
Loud patterns that stand out aren’t always bad, but they limit the suit’s versatility.
lighter suits can look great in the right situation,

what are your thoughts as far as today’s fashion scene?

this is a good sample

View attachment 1652986

Wow! You took your time formulating your answer, didn’t you? :crackup:

basu13

Reaction score
I would always err on the side of conservative and classic, especially since I would mostly wear suits in a business environment.

Single breasted, notch lapels of around 2.5-3 inch lapel width, two buttons, Navy or grey colour (any variations of these two colours would work for me). Structured shoulders with an overall close fit (jacket not cut too slim nor too loose). Dual back vents.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are many variations, of course, but which of the basic formats do you think are most popular, stylish, and fashionable in today's social scene?

Are you looking for something to wear to work or something to wear “out”? Based on your question I think it’s the latter but the “correct” answer is likely different depending on how and when you want to wear it.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Wow! You took your time formulating your answer, didn’t you? :crackup:

hey, if we are going to get this party started might as well do it proper.
I like that the original post is asking about “today’s social scene…”. Makes this long running dialogue even better.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Are you looking for something to wear to work or something to wear “out”? Based on your question I think it’s the latter but the “correct” answer is likely different depending on how and when you want to wear it.

absolutley correct.
profesional wear versus social wear, can make a big difference.

Thoughts on your favorite for each?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Except for the seam that extends below the pocket which I find
slightly disorienting, the suit is superb. The tie too. Whose suit?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would always err on the side of conservative and classic, especially since I would mostly wear suits in a business environment.

notch lapels of around 2.5-3 inch lapel width, two buttons,

That's "poser width". Lacks gravitas.

basu13

Reaction score
Poser width? Lol ok.

Pretty sure around 3 inches looks quite proportionate on my frame though. Anything wider would look too big on me - will work better for bigger frames.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Poser width? Lol ok.

Pretty sure around 3 inches looks quite proportionate on my frame though. Anything wider would look too big on me - will work better for bigger frames.

3 is fine for a size 38 - 40 jacket. Check me out in my 46R Ludlow with 2.5" though....wish I could just leave that in 2010. Ladies in da club were probably wondering what else about me was disproportionally small. Most of my jackets are 3.25 - 3.5, which I was happy with until I got a 4" one MTM'ed, which ruined all my suits and SCs for my eye.

God-Emperor Tom Ford says that all jackets need 4" lapels minimum, because anything less looks like you ran out of fabric, which makes him sad. So it is spoketh, so it shall be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads