Most Overrated Musical Artists

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Oct 8, 2009.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

^Sure. You can also hate perfectly formed natural Ds.

2. axe

axe Senior member

gonna catch hell, but david bowie pre or post ziggy stardust sucks.
    Not at all, it's just that Z is one of the best albums ever. It would be pretty hard for anybody to follow that up, and Bowie did a pretty damn good job of it (Berlin Trilogy, etc)

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

no, it's more like hating anal. it's not for everyone.

^Sure. You can also hate perfectly formed natural Ds.

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Counting Crows suck dick, but Black Crowes are awesome.

5. why

why Senior member

6. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

without reading through this thread...

Dave Matthews

U2

7. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

hunky dory is still great stuff

8. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

Bob Marley is so popular because he had so much charisma. That and the fact that he died somewhat young. He is to (new to the game) stoners what McQueen is to a lot of you fools, an idol.

I enjoy Radiohead, that being said, it is best in an altered state (cliche, right?). Coldplay is mainstream Radiohead. I guess Radiohead is one of the bands that are ranked so highly that no one could ever live up to the hype.

KID FUCKING CUDI. No, he is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. He is not the next Kanye (unless by that you mean doomed to fail). Kanye is BoO-level overrated (yeah, I went there).

I really can't believe you guys bothered to say Marley, but no mention of Sublime. Yes, we get that you smoke (aren't you the one who was handing out "Just say no" fliers last week?) and don't care that you are "different (lolrite)."

And yeah, Jay-z is certainly overrated as it now stands. I can't listen to anything past the Black Album (but that, especially as the Gray Album, is near perfect).

9. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

Jimmy Buffet.
    He is not really overrated ,he is just what Bruce Springsteen fans are listening when they are in a lighter mood.

10. romafan

romafan Senior member

FWIW, I greatly enjoy Neil Diamond....

11. why

why Senior member

Hunky Dory is arguably better overall than Ziggy Stardust (my opinion wavers between the two). Space Oddity is very solid, though a lot of the live versions (especially the BBC recordings) are better than the album versions. Diamond Dogs and Aladdin Sane are both characterful and fun, but while they retain the attitude of his other in-character albums they aren't musically as complex or interesting. He also has a few singles that are amazing that most people think are on actual albums due to all the compilations available (Port of Amsterdam, My Death, John I'm Only Dancing, I'm Afraid of Americans w/ Reznor come to mind off the top of my head).

12. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

Nirvana

The Beatles

Fuck they blow

13. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

Jimmy Buffet.
    He is not really overrated ,he is just what Bruce Springsteen fans are listening when they are in a lighter mood.

I don't know who is more pathetic - buffet or his fans.

14. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Part of it's the timing. OK Computer and Kid A came out during a large transitional phase away from grunge and towards the fuuuuuuutuuuuure, the apex of the dot-com boom and expansion of computers etc. I was also emo when I first heard them and we all know they're super gloomy. I could argue about the "soullessness of computers" and "eventual armageddon" hinted at on both albums, but seriously, they're just great fuckin songs. Kid A is still the one album I can listen to front-to-back and appreciate fully.
    Wow, this reads like a synopsis of the Pitchfork number 1 album of the decade, from the grunge transition right down to "computers and future" points finishing off with listenability:
    Radiohead is art rock for people who don't know much about art rock, which is why it perplexes me how Pitchfork rides their cock so hard.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Sublime: Probably over-loved for having that one great album - and nothing else, thanks to Nowell's OD just before the release. I chalk that up to circumstances.

Jimmy Buffett: We Get It. You Live on an Island and Drink a lot. Enough already. Mrs. T likes him quite a bit which only adds to my irritation.

Radiohead - I bought Kid A, listened to it a few times, then returned it to the store. Or I gave it away. I forget which.