Most overrated movie/actor.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by benecios, Oct 4, 2006.

1. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Kurosawa's "Dreams" is the most overrated movie.

Julia Roberts is the most overrated actor.

I second Kurosawa as overrated.
    I also second Travolta, what a hack.

Now if anyone can tell me where that Lebanese film-terrorist (Travolta) gets his billions and Boeings? I am just amazed by his buying power and lack of any box-office success. That man must be one hell of a businessman.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I second Kurosawa as overrated.
    I also second Travolta, what a hack.

Now if anyone can tell me where that Lebanese film-terrorist (Travolta) gets his billions and Boeings? I am just amazed by his buying power and lack of any box-office success. That man must be one hell of a businessman.

Maybe it's a Scientologist slush fund. I don't know how it all works, it might be a Ponzi scheme, and if Travolta started early, then of course he gets all the residuals from the newer members.

Or it could be the re-runs of Saturday Night Fever. Or Wecome Back Kotter has finally hit DVD.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Maybe it's a Scientologist slush fund. I don't know how it all works, it might be a Ponzi scheme, and if Travolta started early, then of course he gets all the residuals from the newer members.

Or it could be the re-runs of Saturday Night Fever. Or Wecome Back Kotter has finally hit DVD.

Are you going to tell me that scientology is corrupt? Why, I never!

Jon.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Kurosawa's "Dreams" is the most overrated movie.

Julia Roberts is the most overrated actor.

I reluctantly agree about Dreams. Though I enjoyed it and found it interesting and visually amazing, it was not worthy of all the praise heaped on it. Nor would most people be able to stand sitting through it.

I have to say, not as an actor since I don't think anyone actually touts her acting prowess, but as a "star" or whatever, Jennifer Garner is WAY overrated and I keep waiting for her to drop out of sight. She's not attractive, and her frowny-face acting style isn't fooling anyone.

5. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Decaprio
    Carrey
    Pitt

6. redcaimen

redcaimen Bigtime

Nicholas Cage.

7. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

8. Alter

Alter Senior member

I cannot believe this thread has gone for 5 pages without anyone mentioning Keanu Reeves. That guy has ruined so many films that he should have his actor's union card shredded.

9. Stu

Stu Senior member

Overrated:Katie Couric

Not funny: Adam Sandler, Though I did like him in Punch Drunk Love.

Generally I agree with you as per his movies, although I thought it was hysterical when Bob Barker kicked his ass in Happy Gilmore.

As a SNL regular, though, I thought he was funny as hell. His Opera Man routine, especially during the '92 election, was pure brilliance. "Perot... es candidato, Perot.. no es candidato" Cajun Man was funny too.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I cannot believe this thread has gone for 5 pages without anyone mentioning Keanu Reeves. That guy has ruined so many films that he should have his actor's union card shredded.
    To be overrated doesn't one have to be highly regarded as an actor?

11. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

I have enjoyed aspects of Denzel Washington's performances at times -- I loved his over-the-top Oscar-winning performance in whatever that film was -- but overall, I think he's fairly overrated.

I agree with this. Pitt has often tried to stretch himself in his roles. I'm not saying that he's the second coming of Lawrence Olivier, and he's certainly been in some duds, but I think he does have a genuine respect for his craft. His problem (his curse, if you will) is that he's so disgustingly good looking, it's hard for him to play any character without the audience just seeing Brad Pitt. Sometimes being a little more ordinary looking (see David Straitharn, John C. Reilly, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, William H. Macy, etc.) works to the favor of an actor. No matter how good an actor Brad Pitt is, it would be kind of hard seeing him play Truman Capote.

Yeah, being model-handsome really seems to be a serious handicap for a serious actor. Pitt and Johnny Depp are the only really good looking guys I can think of who have managed to get serious respect for their acting chops.

Edit: Oh, and I used to really like Kenneth Branagh's stuff, but either my taste has changed, or he's genuinely gotten worse -- I'm not sure which.

12. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

I have enjoyed aspects of Denzel Washington's performances at times -- I loved his over-the-top Oscar-winning performance in whatever that film was -- but overall, I think he's fairly overrated.

Yeah, being model-handsome really seems to be a serious handicap for a serious actor. Pitt and Johnny Depp are the only really good looking guys I can think of who have managed to get serious respect for their acting chops.

Edit: Oh, and I used to really like Kenneth Branagh's stuff, but either my taste has changed, or he's genuinely gotten worse -- I'm not sure which.

Dicaprio has gotten props for a number of films, The Aviator, Basketball Diaries etc...

13. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

Johnny Depp is one of the best younger actors today. He has always taken on some unusual roles that a lot of actors would not want to risk. He was great in Blow. Also, quirky in Secret Window. From Hell. Donnie Brasco. Ed Wood. Lots of variety.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

To be overrated doesn't one have to be highly regarded as an actor?

My sentiments exactly regarding K. Reeves!

15. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Johnny Depp is one of the best younger actors today. He has always taken on some unusual roles that a lot of actors would not want to risk. He was great in Blow. Also, quirky in Secret Window. From Hell. Donnie Brasco. Ed Wood. Lots of variety.

I actually watched that Pirate movie just to see Depp. I also saw Willy Wonka. I think he's brilliant, and can take roles in movies which most other actors would just make terribly cheesy, and he does it so well. His ability to become a character and bring out quirks is always incredible to me. I'm always excited to see what he's going to do next.