• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most overrated Los Angeles restaurants?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
You mean The Hump. I ate there about 2 weeks before the SHTF. It was very good. Nobody offered us any whale, even though we were ordering in Japanese.

Ah yes, The Hump. Only been once, years ago... I remember it was some short name like that. Although, with The Hump as a name, one wonders if they also had humpback whale on the menu.
laugh.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Most mexican food in LA that isn't street food/taco stand is really overrated.

not true. you really need to try Rivera downtown. i'm not sure exactly what you mean by "street food/taco stand", but mi casita in bell is really good, too. and so is chichen itza south of downtown. your statement used to be more true than it is now, but we've been getting a lot of good middle-class Mexican restaurants.

slappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
That place is off the chart in overratedness. Matsuhisa has been good the times I've eaten there, but it has been a few years.
If you have the money, Urasawa is the place to go. Definitely overpriced, but you the quality is out of control there, and the guy making everything for you is one of the finest in the world without question.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
If you have the money, Urasawa is the place to go. Definitely overpriced, but you the quality is out of control there, and the guy making everything for you is one of the finest in the world without question.

hmmm, i guess the question is what does "overpriced" mean. Urasawa is DEFINITELY expensive, but at the end, don't you feel that it was worth it? to me, what's "overpriced" are all those restaurants where you pay $50 to $75 a person and walk away not remembering anything you ate.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
not true. you really need to try Rivera downtown. i'm not sure exactly what you mean by "street food/taco stand", but mi casita in bell is really good, too. and so is chichen itza south of downtown. your statement used to be more true than it is now, but we've been getting a lot of good middle-class Mexican restaurants.

Basically taco stands and dumpy hole in the walls...i love the taco stands and trucks....wish there was more Tacos Al Pastor (I was in Mexico City last year and was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by their tacos...so awesome)

Never been to Chichen Itza or Rivera, I've heard of both...I'll try to check them out. I went to the Johnathan Gold standard event last year and thought that the best food was from La Casita Mexicana...never been to their Bell location yet. I don't think that the MExican food offerings suck in LA, just that they are a bit overrated...I tend to like the San Diego and even Orange County offerings versus LA.

I was mainly referring to things like Border Grill, Fridas, El Cholo, Don Antonios, Lares, etc...its really gringo-ized Mexican food..but that's what passes for Mexican food nowadays.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Never been to Chichen Itza or Rivera, I've heard of both...I'll try to check them out. I went to the Johnathan Gold standard event last year and thought that the best food was from La Casita Mexicana...never been to their Bell location yet. I don't think that the MExican food offerings suck in LA, just that they are a bit overrated...I tend to like the San Diego and even Orange County offerings versus LA.

I was mainly referring to things like Border Grill, Fridas, El Cholo, Don Antonios, Lares, etc...its really gringo-ized Mexican food..but that's what passes for Mexican food nowadays.

confused.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that Roscoes is overrated. The waffle was not bad though (and I did not drown mine with butter or syrup). chicken was just so-so. I've had better greens from the can also.

In-N-Out cannot be overrated.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
confused.gif

I've had some great mexican in Santa Ana, and there are a few very good spots in my home town of Laguna Beach - La Sirena Grill and Papa's Tacos (for fish tacos).

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
any of those restaurants at the Grove. and that farmer market square. overratee

The Israeli falafel place in the Grove, where the proprietor chews you out if you take too long ordering, is pretty awesome. Both for the food and the charm.

Mark it 8

Reaction score
What is that place where the waiters have the spiel about the chicken entree that goes, "and the chicken man, it tastes like it was BORN in the sauce; it's not hot man, this is Mexico City spice- it is SPaaaaIIIIIICY!" I went there once and the name slipped my mind.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
any of those restaurants at the Grove. and that farmer market square. overratee
DuPar's has great, great pies. The cherry one is amazing.
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
The Israeli falafel place in the Grove, where the proprietor chews you out if you take too long ordering, is pretty awesome. Both for the food and the charm.
Whereabouts?

pitboss12

Reaction score
Apple Pan is overrated. So is Daikokuya Ramen. I don't understand the lines out the door.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Roscoes - I get that it's a fun combo, but I've had better fried chicken and better waffles. You don't get points for putting two mediocre ingredients on the same plate.

That is how I felt. Combo is good every once in a while, but the component ingredients aren't very good in and of themselves. I did drown everything in gravy, syrup, and butter which certainly helped though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads