• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most overpriced bespoke suits, Kiton or Brioni?

Rodolfo

Reaction score
Hello guys, I visited a Kiton boutique in London last week and how can they charge £9.600 for the standard bespoke suit, they call this bespoke LASA and K50, but there is no sense in paying £10.000 for a suit like it, I asked the salesman what makes this suit three times better than a A&S or Rubinacci and sadly he did not know the answer.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hello guys, I visited a Kiton boutique in London last week and how can they charge £9.600 for the standard bespoke suit, they call this bespoke LASA and K50, but there is no sense in paying £10.000 for a suit like it, I asked the salesman what makes this suit three times better than a A&S or Rubinacci and sadly he did not know the answer.

Branding. Kiton and Brioni are established brands, and while they provide top end quality, they are not worth the asking price to those of us that understand suiting. Sadly, most of the folks that can afford to spend a million bucks on a wardrobe don't know much about suiting which means they tend to gravitate towards the big names.

Established names (brands that do a lot of advertising) have to build margin into product to combat those costs, and lets face it, this is a business, big fashion brands wring as much margin as they can out of consumers. Rest assured, if they could charge 20k they would.

The other day, I had some dingbat trying to tell me Bally's shoes were superior to GG because they are carried at Saks and he had never seen a print ad or heard of GG.

Last edited:

dufferin1

Reaction score
There will always be a certain percentage of people that will buy the suit. They most likely have no knowledge about the company or even about suits, but because its Kiton/Brioni they will pay the big $$$ for it.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There will always be a certain percentage of people that will buy the suit. They most likely have no knowledge about the company or even about suits, but because its Kiton/Brioni they will pay the big $$$ for it.
Yep. Give any one of the more knowledgeable bespoke guys on this forum 10k and see what they come up with. I am guessing two suits of better quality than what Kiton would do for 20.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep. Give any one of the more knowledgeable bespoke guys on this forum 10k and see what they come up with. I am guessing two suits of better quality than what Kiton would do for 20.

Honestly, how much better quality do you really want?

I think even the most experienced SF'er would probably not turn down a bespoke Kiton. Sure, something else might have a bit more handiwork (not necessarily an indicator of quality), but you'd be hard pressed to find even anything marginal in a kiton product. So yes, a good portion of the cost of a kiton is marketing, but its not like they put out a second rate product.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of the regular buyers of bespoke on this forum also own these brands and other top end brands as well.

Rodolfo

Reaction score
I think even the most experienced SF'er would probably not turn down a bespoke Kiton. Sure, something else might have a bit more handiwork (not necessarily an indicator of quality), but you'd be hard pressed to find even anything marginal in a kiton product. So yes, a good portion of the cost of a kiton is marketing, but its not like they put out a second rate product.

I am from Brazil and I have some bespoke suits from SR, as I said las week I quoted some prices for a 2 piece suit in London, the price start at £3.500 in the Row for a two piece on the finest tailors, I would understand If a Kiton/Brioni bespoke start at £5.000, but £10.000? The true? Nobody can justify this prices and only assholes would consider a brand name despite the overall quality of the suit in a purchase.

Last edited:

benny

Reaction score
Both are overpriced. You're paying for the brand name after all.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These brand names exist because of th quality behind the name. IMO not all brands are overpriced simply because they are brands.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both are overpriced. You're paying for the brand name after all.

Pretty much sums it up. There was a thread a few years back where the italian prime minister at the time switched from caraceni to kiton. Don't get me wrong i own and love RTW Brioni and Kiton, but compared to my stuff from Steed its not so great. The fabric from Brioni and Kiton wins hands down but in terms of fit and comfort its my bespoke stuff that wins out. But with that being said if you were to get a bespoke suit made from the fabrics Brioni/Kiton uses it would cost a lot more. I remember reading somewhere that the fabrics they use are around $800 per meter. Does it justify 2-3 times the price? probably not, but a 3500 pound bespoke suit made from kiton level fabrics would be a lot more than 3500 pounds.

Edit: an example of this can be seen with Kiton"s CIPA line, where they use the same construction techniques but lesser quality fabric and they knock off about 2k USD off the starting price.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way, way overpriced. You are simply paying for the brand name and the pretty label. If you actually want a good suit then go to Maurice Sedwell on Savile Row. Sedwell is probably the best of the lot and will make the best suit - there again those who worship labels will not be able to bask in what they consider the power of the label.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Way, way overpriced. You are simply paying for the brand name and the pretty label. If you actually want a good suit then go to Maurice Sedwell on Savile Row. Sedwell is probably the best of the lot and will make the best suit - there again those who worship labels will not be able to bask in what they consider the power of the label.

Yeah, kiton definitely doesn't make a good suit

give me a ******* break.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Read my first post, I call both Kiton and Brioni's quality top notch -- my point, their prices are based on their name/cost of doing business, not solely on their quality. You could get two bespoke suits of equal or better quality for 10k, because said makers don't have the overhead of brands like Kiton (advertising, operational costs, etc).

Last edited:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
These brand names exist because of th quality behind the name. IMO not all brands are overpriced simply because they are brands
Most all retail brands are overpriced. This is because of their overhead and desire to maximize profits. Advertising, R&D, operational costs -- the list goes on and on. Kiton and Brioni are running businesses. The point of a business is to generate and maximize profits. This is even more true when speaking of publically traded companies that have shareholders to answer to. You can bet your life that both Kiton and Brioni are charging every cent they can and then some. Do you think their CEO's walk into meetings and talk about profit margin and decide on how much to leave on the table for the customer? Both Kiton and Brioni are at the stage where they have built their name and it is associated with being of the best quality, now they are charging consumers out the ass for it. Good for them, if people are willing to pay, let them pay...but are they overpriced? Of course.

You can literally get two suits of equal to or higher quality to both Kiton and Brioni from dozens of well established bespoke tailors.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads