• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most effective ways to learn new skills

zerostyle

Reaction score
Hi,

After many years of being out of school, and being very lazy about learning new skills, I decided that I want to get back into a learning mode at age 30.

However, I realized that many of my study techniques in the past were probably very poor.

With all of the evolution of technology, psychology, and other research in the last century, I'm really surprised that I haven't heard more about break-through ways to learn.

A few things I'm considering learning:
- A programming language ( I have very beginner knowledge of a few )
- A foreign language
- A musical instrument

In short, I'm not looking for advice like "practice a lot" - because this is obvious. I'm looking more for specific strategies in these various areas that will make my practice sessions much more efficient.

Any suggestions? What techniques do teachers learn these days to help children learn faster? Do they apply at higher education levels? What about ideas for better understanding very difficult concepts?

I should add that I've always been pretty strong with math/#'s. Trying to sight read music was near impossible for me.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Hi,

After many years of being out of school, and being very lazy about learning new skills, I decided that I want to get back into a learning mode at age 30.

However, I realized that many of my study techniques in the past were probably very poor.

With all of the evolution of technology, psychology, and other research in the last century, I'm really surprised that I haven't heard more about break-through ways to learn.

A few things I'm considering learning:
- A programming language ( I have very beginner knowledge of a few )
- A foreign language
- A musical instrument

In short, I'm not looking for advice like "practice a lot" - because this is obvious. I'm looking more for specific strategies in these various areas that will make my practice sessions much more efficient.

Any suggestions? What techniques do teachers learn these days to help children learn faster? Do they apply at higher education levels? What about ideas for better understanding very difficult concepts?

I should add that I've always been pretty strong with math/#'s. Trying to sight read music was near impossible for me.

There are many effective ways to learn but it really depends on your own learning style. Everyone is different.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
foreign language: try private tutoring and speakig clubs
programming: idk... courses?
musical instrument: lesson and lots of practice

i feel like techniques apply only to musical instruments. in any case, i think that for all 3 you really should get lessons because it's worth it to have hte proper technique/knowledge.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle

Sight reading music can take a while but the mathematically inclined tend to do very well with music. Music is very systematic...you just need to learn a new notation.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Re-read that, and understand why you are destined to fail.
1. **** re-evolving. 2. its much harder to grasp new concepts when you're over 30. Yet, I believe old dogs can learn new tricks. programming language- it takes a logical person to learn a programming language musical instrument- makes your life richer, and activates other parts of your brain language- probably the most difficult one I have. Good luck, I think persistence is the key.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics