• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most effective upper chest mixers

nairb49

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just want some opinions and new ideas.

Looking to really target my upper chest, to get that squared off look.

So far, I have inclined bench free/bar/flys
Pull up cable cross

Any other suggestions?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you can try incorporating push-ups with your feet or shins up on a core exercise ball.

nairb49

Reaction score
Oh, great suggestion, I totally forgot about that.
Many thanks, keep 'em comin!

Mark_Y

Reaction score
Weighted bar dips. Partial bench press followed immediately by full bench. 10 reps of partial followed immediatly by 10 full reps. Use a lower weight than usual.

kever

Reaction score
I had emailed a bodybuilder asking him the same question and he responded with: "Upper-inner chest, huh. Let's see. Do you have a cable crossover machine with low attachments? If so, put the small d-ring grips on each side and grab them and then move to the middle of the machine. Next, holding your
arms down at about 20 degree angle at your side pull the grips UP and IN to
have them meet just above eye level. I prefer to do these standing or you
can do them on a movable incline bench with the angle set about 45 degrees."

I've also heard that doing bench presses lowering the bar to your lower chest and keeping your elbows and forearms close to your body as you lower the bar is effective for building up that part of your chest.

My workouts never isolate muscles like this, so I can't really say I've tried either, but it sounds like all of the exercises you listed will work what you are looking to work out.
I'd also try to do those isolation exercises before your other lifts so the area you want to grow will have a chance to fatigue more, stimulating more growth and hopefully get to where you want it to be.
just my $.02

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flys and cable cross are your best friend. What you're looking for is width, not depth. So, exercises that will expand your chest will be helpful.

My favorite for this is flys:
lie on flat bench
push the weights up so they're parallel to your body
bend your elbows slightly, no more than 10 degrees
lower your arms to the side, while keeping the same angle on your elbows
i only do 2x10 or 2x12 depending on how i feel; this is usually done after flat bench press; if you're feeling gung ho about it, superset the F***ers!

nairb49

Reaction score
Good stuff, thanks for the advice guys!

Anatomically, I suppose it totally makes sense that width would be the most effective approach.
But looking at how the 2 main muscles lie, I wonder if the incline bench is all that necessary?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my personal experience, incline bench isn't very effective at building chest muscles (it's good for body builders to cut up their upper chest). I do it, but not a priority as flat bench and flys. Decline, however, I think is more effective than incline, IMO.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll want to do varying angles at near shoulder press to standard incline. Just as you would bench press.

We typically vary the adjustable incline press doing each set at each different angle with drop sets. With a 3 to 4 thousand eccentric movement.

Shoulder day we will do slightly forward dumbbell military press.

I would also add a destabilization ball or 1/2 ball with forward pushups.

Upper pecs are always my starting point with the more trad flat press as a last.

PS-You'll look much better also with an upper chest development over the plebs with their standard bra line
smile.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
In my personal experience, incline bench isn't very effective at building chest muscles (it's good for body builders to cut up their upper chest). I do it, but not a priority as flat bench and flys. Decline, however, I think is more effective than incline, IMO.

No exercise can 'cut up' a chest.
Muscles only do 2 things, atrophy or hypertrophy. They either get smaller or larger. Eccentric movement is critical to hypertrophy and is 90% not utilized by lifters. A real shame as the risk of injury is also reduced. But it isn't a ego driven style of lifting as you don't need as much weight to achieve more with less, and also less injury potential

Cut is strictly from a lower body fat that allows the muscle to be seen in its glory without the added fat
spam[1].gif

Incline > Decline, ask any personal trainer like
bigstar[1].gif

Dips > Decline.

Lastly, GENETICS, ask your mom and dad for some.

Here is my example although this is not a chest pose.
http://styleforum.net/showthread.php...highlight=soph

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=13130

-Disclaimer: I do not use steroids, GH, or any other socially illegal substance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads