• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most durable luggage?

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good, durable line of luggage? Is it me, or do airlines just seem to be going MMA on luggage these days? That said, can anyone comment on the CARPISA brand of luggage? I've heard its for girls - my wife likes the look but I haven't heard anything with regards to quality and durability. Thanks guys.

chiggah

Reaction score
Rimowa for flights i suppose

Filson for everyday

Unregistered

Reaction score
I use Rimowa, but the guys over at FlyerTalk love Briggs & Riley for their true no questions asked lifetime warranty.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
I do _not_ recommend Rimowa. I have recently had a problem with one of their aluminum attache cases, with a crushed corner. They could not repair it to its original condition, so it is now a worthless POS to me.

chiggah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cretaceous_cretin
I do _not_ recommend Rimowa. I have recently had a problem with one of their aluminum attache cases, with a crushed corner. They could not repair it to its original condition, so it is now a worthless POS to me.

Wow

Sorry to hear that. Where did you buy it from ? Manufacturer wont repair or shop don't want to ?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Briggs and Riley. Tough, tough luggage with an ironclad lifetime 100% guarantee.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pelican is good enough for the armed forces..

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiggah
Wow

Sorry to hear that. Where did you buy it from ? Manufacturer wont repair or shop don't want to ?

I bought it from Germany, but I was willing to pay to have it fixed. They could not repair it to my satisfaction. I sent photos to their customer service in Canada, and talked to their manager of customer service. Their manufacturing process involves anodizing the aluminum and they cannot repair the crushed corner to make it look like right because of this. I wanted a new half shell attached, at my expense, but they could not or would not do it. Hence, the $1250 attache is now worthless to me. I gave it away, because of all the stomach acid this incident has generated for me. They offered to sell me another at 30% discount, but why would I waste the money on a product that cannot be repaired?

Answer: I will _never_ buy another Rimowa product. I would at this point not even accept another at no cost (which they have not offered), due to their attitude.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cretaceous_cretin
... I gave it away, because of all the stomach acid this incident has generated for me. They offered to sell me another at 30% discount, but why would I waste the money on a product that cannot be repaired?

Answer: I will _never_ buy another Rimowa product. I would at this point not even accept another at no cost (which they have not offered), due to their attitude.

Exactly! This is why we chose not to buy Tumi. Conditional warranty.

Meanwhile...

The only warranty that covers it all!
Briggs & Riley is committed to developing travelware products of superior design, performance and value. We pride ourselves on developing an ongoing, lifelong relationship with you, our consumer and Briggs & Riley spokesperson. Due to our extreme confidence in our products and our insatiable desire to deliver only the highest level of service, we have created the most consumer-friendly warranty in the travelware industry.

If your Briggs & Riley bag is ever broken or damaged, even if it was caused by an airline, we will repair it free of charge. Simple as that!

Just call your nearest Authorized Repair Center, no repair number is needed. You can find an Authorized Repair Center here on our website. Please note that you are responsible for any freight charges incurred when shipping your bag to a repair center.
You can also ship your bag directly to Briggs & Riley at one of our Company Repair Centers listed below. First call our Consumer Service Center at (888) HMB BAGS (462-2247) or email us to receive a Repair Number prior to sending your bag to us. A Repair Number is required in order to process your repair request.

Official Company Repair Centers
400 Wireless Blvd., Hauppauge, NY 11788
860 Airport St., Unit A, Moss Beach, CA 94038

*Please note that you are responsible for the shipping charges to either company repair center as stated in our warranty.
Our 'Simple as that' warranty will cover the repair of all functional aspects of your Briggs & Riley bag for life. We will continue to repair your bag even if you decide to purchase a new Briggs & Riley product with the latest performance innovations. Naturally, our warranty does not cover cosmetic wear or cleaning, nor does it cover the replacement of lost or stolen bags and/or its content. If your bag or its contents are damaged by an airline and you wish to hold them responsible, we suggest that you file a claim with the carrier before leaving the airport. If you choose not to do this and instead wish for us to repair your bag, we will be happy to do so at no charge. Due to the nature of certain types of repairs and normal wear and tear, it is not always possible to return your bag to its original condition.
Thank you for choosing Briggs & Riley Travelware.
Click here to find the Authorized Repair Center nearest to you or call our Customer Service Department at 888.HMB.BAGS (462.2247) and we will give you instructions on how to get your bag repaired.
My understanding is that if it can't be functionally repaired, they usually replace it.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Exactly! This is why we chose not to buy Tumi. Conditional warranty. Meanwhile... My understanding is that if it can't be functionally repaired, they usually replace it.
I will look into Briggs and Riley. I wanted to get another aluminum attache to replace the Rimowa (non-Chinese). May not be able to find one.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Briggs and Riley because of the warranty...

Eagle Creek on some items that have the same warranty depending on what you buy.

Skip Tumi.

Unregistered

Reaction score
I went Rimowa Salsa because the B&R is so ridiculously heavy... really wanted to make it work, but just couldn't.
frown.gif

threeLegDog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
Pelican is good enough for the armed forces..

Heavy, tho. Something tells me those guys aren't limited to 50lbs/bag, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads