1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Most durable luggage?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HEARTLESS-531, Jun 30, 2011.

1. HEARTLESS-531

HEARTLESS-531 Senior member

Can anyone recommend a good, durable line of luggage? Is it me, or do airlines just seem to be going MMA on luggage these days? That said, can anyone comment on the CARPISA brand of luggage? I've heard its for girls - my wife likes the look but I haven't heard anything with regards to quality and durability. Thanks guys.

2. bibs

bibs Senior member

my vote goes to Filson

3. chiggah

chiggah Senior member

Rimowa for flights i suppose

Filson for everyday

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

I use Rimowa, but the guys over at FlyerTalk love Briggs & Riley for their true no questions asked lifetime warranty.

5. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

I do _not_ recommend Rimowa. I have recently had a problem with one of their aluminum attache cases, with a crushed corner. They could not repair it to its original condition, so it is now a worthless POS to me.

6. chiggah

chiggah Senior member

I do _not_ recommend Rimowa. I have recently had a problem with one of their aluminum attache cases, with a crushed corner. They could not repair it to its original condition, so it is now a worthless POS to me.

Wow

Sorry to hear that. Where did you buy it from ? Manufacturer wont repair or shop don't want to ?

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Briggs and Riley. Tough, tough luggage with an ironclad lifetime 100% guarantee.

8. Kas

Kas Senior member

Pelican is good enough for the armed forces..

9. cretaceous_cretin

Wow

Sorry to hear that. Where did you buy it from ? Manufacturer wont repair or shop don't want to ?

I bought it from Germany, but I was willing to pay to have it fixed. They could not repair it to my satisfaction. I sent photos to their customer service in Canada, and talked to their manager of customer service. Their manufacturing process involves anodizing the aluminum and they cannot repair the crushed corner to make it look like right because of this. I wanted a new half shell attached, at my expense, but they could not or would not do it. Hence, the $1250 attache is now worthless to me. I gave it away, because of all the stomach acid this incident has generated for me. They offered to sell me another at 30% discount, but why would I waste the money on a product that cannot be repaired?

Answer: I will _never_ buy another Rimowa product. I would at this point not even accept another at no cost (which they have not offered), due to their attitude.

1 person likes this.
  10. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

... I gave it away, because of all the stomach acid this incident has generated for me. They offered to sell me another at 30% discount, but why would I waste the money on a product that cannot be repaired?

Answer: I will _never_ buy another Rimowa product. I would at this point not even accept another at no cost (which they have not offered), due to their attitude.

Exactly! This is why we chose not to buy Tumi. Conditional warranty.

Meanwhile...

My understanding is that if it can't be functionally repaired, they usually replace it.

11. cretaceous_cretin

Exactly! This is why we chose not to buy Tumi. Conditional warranty. Meanwhile... My understanding is that if it can't be functionally repaired, they usually replace it.
    I will look into Briggs and Riley. I wanted to get another aluminum attache to replace the Rimowa (non-Chinese). May not be able to find one.

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Briggs and Riley because of the warranty...

Eagle Creek on some items that have the same warranty depending on what you buy.

Skip Tumi.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

I went Rimowa Salsa because the B&R is so ridiculously heavy... really wanted to make it work, but just couldn't. [​IMG]

14. threeLegDog

threeLegDog Well-Known Member

Pelican is good enough for the armed forces..

Heavy, tho. Something tells me those guys aren't limited to 50lbs/bag, too.

15. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

16. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

no luggage is bulletproof. you need an unconditional warranty

17. guest

guest Senior member

i want to get a globetrotter. already have a rimowa salsa as carry on. might also get a customized lv keepall.

18. Kai

Kai Senior member

19. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I like Filson for travelling via car.

Rimowa/ZHalliburton for plane.

20. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Briggs and Riley. Tough, tough luggage with an ironclad lifetime 100% guarantee.

+1